I have not enabled internet tethering on my playbook, but my Playbook is always bridged.

Using the normal browser (not the bridge browser) I can still access the internet.

Is the data my playbook using my phone's data plan or blackberry data?

Thanks for the answer guys. Playbook forever!
    09-12-11 09:43 PM
    The latest Bridge + the Latest OS gives you the ability to surf using the regular browser & most apps will work as well.
    09-12-11 09:58 PM
    Thanks psiclne, I am just asking which data is being used.

Is it Blackberry Data or Phone Data?
    09-12-11 10:01 PM
    i can't say which data plan is being used but with my phone it appears to be using BIS. My phone has both BES and BIS accounts. I was testing the speed using speedtest.net comparing tether, bridge browser, and the non bridge browser without wifi on either the phone or the playbook. I was interested to find that speedtest reported a different IP for each configuration.

When using the bridge browser it reported the external IP of my office BES server and the ISP my office uses. When using the non-bridge browser speedtest reported RIM as the ISP. When tethered it gave the IP of my cellphone provider.

What I cannot tell you is how this translates in terms of your provider's data plans.
    09-12-11 11:01 PM
    I have not enabled internet tethering on my playbook, but my Playbook is always bridged.

Using the normal browser (not the bridge browser) I can still access the internet.

Is the data my playbook using my phone's data plan or blackberry data?

Thanks for the answer guys. Playbook forever!
    Bridge only=BIS or BES data.
    Internet tethering=3G mobile data.

You have to check with your provider if you can use Bridge without any additional fees.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-11 11:21 PM
    My question is what is being used when my pb is using either browser. For instance, say my computer's dsl modem and the router are being used, ahem, to gather research on some tv show I'd like to view. The pb's regular browser is impeded.

I have noticed that the pb's regular browser is adversely affected by said download experiment. But I find that if the 9650 linked by wifi to that same router, than the Bridge browser is also impeded. But if I turn off wifi on the 9650, the bridge browser works better as it might then be solely relying on the 3g data?

So I'm wondering if the bridge browser by default is still falling back on my wifi connection but via the 9650 and not my Verizon 3g data??? That is, unless I disable wifi on the bold?
    togardergrosse likes this.
    09-13-11 12:37 AM
    My question is what is being used when my pb is using either browser. For instance, say my computer's dsl modem and the router are being used, ahem, to gather research on some tv show I'd like to view. The pb's regular browser is impeded.

I have noticed that the pb's regular browser is adversely affected by said download experiment. But I find that if the 9650 linked by wifi to that same router, than the Bridge browser is also impeded. But if I turn off wifi on the 9650, the bridge browser works better as it might then be solely relying on the 3g data?

So I'm wondering if the bridge browser by default is still falling back on my wifi connection but via the 9650 and not my Verizon 3g data??? That is, unless I disable wifi on the bold?
    Yes. Check the service status on your phone. When wifi is connected your BIS/BES will switch to wifi (at this point if you use PB to browse using bridge it will use BES through phone which will be using wifi). Same thing for BIS, if you use regular browser when bridged (when phone is using wifi for BIS), pb will use wifi through the phone for BIS.

When in doubt, check service status on your phone, it will show if it is using wifi or "Mobile Network" (verizon in your case).
    09-13-11 12:55 AM
    I currently have a tether plan from Verizon Wireless. I Bridged quite a bit and am glad to say that the data that is processed while bridged is not coming from my tethering data allotment. Enjoy free tethering! (only if bluetooth data rate was faster)
    09-13-11 01:01 AM
    Yeah, we need less throttled back bluetooth connection. PLEASE!
    09-13-11 01:19 PM
    It's not the BT connection. Using teathering or WiFi the speed is just fine across the same BT connection.

Its RIM and or the Bridge program that slows things down.

Tim
    09-13-11 01:26 PM
    There is no throttling. When you use bridge, your data is essentially making a big round trip up to RIM's servers in Canada first. Doesn't matter that you are in Phoenix and trying to access your local Phoenix public library's webpage --- your internet data made a big round trip to RIM's server in Waterloo Canada first.
    09-13-11 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD