i'm debating whether i should upgrade my rogers plan so that i can tether my PB or should i wait until bridge browser is improved.. tethering isnt something ill use on a daily basis.. and i would have to pay rogers more money for it.. any ideas thoughts or suggestions?
    also for those who have tethered there playbook to the rogers network.. is it worth it?
    05-07-11 06:59 PM
    I upgraded my plan - I think it cost an extra $5.00 dollars to do it so it wasnt that big of an additional charge for me. I've only used the tethering aspect a few times as most of the places I go have wireless (home, some pubs, coffee shops).

The times that I did use it, the tethering seemed slow to me. I had the browser open and an app that pulls data from the internet. I was really disappointed until I saw that my phone had downgraded to the EDGE network due to reception problems in 3G. My experience was very limited as I only think I've tethered at the slower speeds. My first thought, honestly, was debating if I should have waited to see if a the 4G model will be released when Rogers updates its services later this year.

Maybe someone who has used it definately with 3G can comment on the speeds they are getting.

Still, if it's only 5.00 for you to upgrade your plan, then it might not be that bad of an idea for the extra data and option to tether to your phone.
    05-07-11 07:08 PM
    i would rather get a tether app then give at&t anymore money. as it is were i live in Nj i can go around bouncing off open wifi spots (silly people don't know how to properly configure there wifi routers). At&t wants $25 more for a tethering plan with a whopping 4gb's of data. so that would make it $45 for already mediocre mobile web and then make it more mediocre as a tethered device.
    05-07-11 07:24 PM
    for me its 20 extra bucks a month because my data is within a bundle plan so i dont have the 5 bucks upgrade option..
    05-07-11 07:28 PM
    I live in Indonesia, since BIS conection is extra slow and unlimited data plan for my pre paid sim card cost me 10 bucks so i only paid 22,5 us$ for my BIS and unlimited data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 12:34 AM
    feek : cheap and slow. hehe.
    05-08-11 01:27 AM
    I'm with Rogers and it depends. I both tether and bridge my phone to my PB at the same time. Depending on interference etc it can be painfully slow or super fast. I've been downtown Vancouver and it's been slow but I've been in Richmond where it rivals my wifi speed. Take a look at your data plan with Rogers. The thing with BB and I'm thinking it's probably the same for the PB is that they are very efficient in compressing their data so if you only tether sometimes you probably won't need more then the 1GB plan.
    05-08-11 01:34 AM
    I'm with Rogers and it depends. I both tether and bridge my phone to my PB at the same time. Depending on interference etc it can be painfully slow or super fast. I've been downtown Vancouver and it's been slow but I've been in Richmond where it rivals my wifi speed. Take a look at your data plan with Rogers. The thing with BB and I'm thinking it's probably the same for the PB is that they are very efficient in compressing their data so if you only tether sometimes you probably won't need more then the 1GB plan.
    Blackberry data compression happens over BIS, tethering does not use BIS, but the carrier's data network. Bridge, however, does use BIS.
    05-08-11 01:41 AM
    Thanks for clarification GBSN.

Still all the OP needs is 1GB at most to tether on the carrier, that much I do know especially if he's not a heavy user and won't be going on You Tube all the time.
    05-08-11 01:07 PM
    this is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Someone mentioned they would rather buy a tethering app than pay at&t more money( I agree ). So would a tethering app like tether bridge in app world #1 work with playbook and #2 be worth it?

TIA
    05-08-11 02:26 PM
    . So would a tethering app like tether bridge in app world #1 work with playbook and #2 be worth it? TIA
    'Tether bridge' is not used with the PB (nor is it available from PB AppWorld). PB has a native app. It works great connecting with a BB having OS5 or 6. To get full use, upgrade to the current BBridge and BBM.
    05-08-11 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD