Why not just set your Z10 to be a hotspot and forget using the bridge. One less email function to manually update, smoother, etc.

Does Bridge use more battery than using a phone hotspot?
    03-15-13 06:59 PM
    There's more to bridge than just tethering, read the 11 page discussion.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 07:00 PM
    I'm not sure about all carriers, but some US carriers charge an additional monthly fee for hotspot whereas the Bridge is still part of the original data plan.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-15-13 08:01 PM
    Does Bridge use more battery than using a phone hotspot?

From what I understand it's the other way around.
    I am streaming Sirius and perusing these forums now over the bridge bluetooth and have no trouble with the speed. In addition to keeping my mail, memo, task, calendar in place, NO extra fees.

Viva la bridge.
    SEAWARRIOR, kbz1960, MTL and 1 others like this.
    03-15-13 10:06 PM
    I'm not sure about all carriers, but some US carriers charge an additional monthly fee for hotspot whereas the Bridge is still part of the original data plan.
    yup,,, my 9850 has it & it would cost me $20/mo w/ sprint,,, I keep trying to get it for free to keep me when the "Z" cuts loose...
    03-16-13 12:14 AM
    Pre-ordered a white Verizon Z10 this past Thursday and I'm leaving Sprint the day it arrives (The rest of my family will join me as their contracts expire). The Verizon switch is going to cost me more money and less data. In looking over my usage with Sprint, I rarely got anywhere near 2g's and will have 4g's with Verizon as a "cushion".

In comparing the 2 companies, their plans and the costs, it equals out in a way: If I were to add the Sprint hotspot feature, it would be almost exactly the same plan cost as Verizon who has wifi hotspot for free. In the long run (as my family joins me), it will cost less. This is because with Sprint, it's a $20 hotspot fee for each phone!

Bridging over bluetooth works really well, but I'm looking forward to using Verizon's 4g LTE with my awesome new Z10 and hotspotting my 64g Playbook to it! My daily life keeps me in a wifi zone 80% of the time (saving carrier data constantly), but when I do need it, it will be really nice to have it.
    Tattooed1 likes this.
    03-16-13 06:33 AM
    Bridge is not just about Internet access but also about keeping my IT people away from my PlayBook
    I like having my work email and policies just configured in my phone, so when I need to work I just bridge it.
    03-16-13 12:59 PM
    I like using the Bridge because the carrier in the US charge $20 to $50 a month for the mobile hotspot. With the bridge there is no extra cost involved.
    jamesharmeling and kdeckels like this.
    03-16-13 01:08 PM
    Pre-ordered a white Verizon Z10 this past Thursday and I'm leaving Sprint the day it arrives (The rest of my family will join me as their contracts expire). The Verizon switch is going to cost me more money and less data. In looking over my usage with Sprint, I rarely got anywhere near 2g's and will have 4g's with Verizon as a "cushion".

In comparing the 2 companies, their plans and the costs, it equals out in a way: If I were to add the Sprint hotspot feature, it would be almost exactly the same plan cost as Verizon who has wifi hotspot for free. In the long run (as my family joins me), it will cost less. This is because with Sprint, it's a $20 hotspot fee for each phone!

Bridging over bluetooth works really well, but I'm looking forward to using Verizon's 4g LTE with my awesome new Z10 and hotspotting my 64g Playbook to it! My daily life keeps me in a wifi zone 80% of the time (saving carrier data constantly), but when I do need it, it will be really nice to have it.
    Before you get your Z10, order at least one spare battery from eBay or Amazon. When you connect through hotspot it drains the battery at about the same rate as my car uses fuel at 150mph!
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    03-16-13 03:34 PM
    Cases, battery bundle, screen protectors and car holder have already been ordered and will be awaiting my ZormTrooper.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-16-13 04:05 PM
    I like using the Bridge because the carrier in the US charge $20 to $50 a month for the mobile hotspot. With the bridge there is no extra cost involved.
    Free hotspot functionality in Canada, at least on my carrier and I believe most others. I've heard of $20 (which is of course ridiculous since you pay for the data and should be able to use it as you see fit) in US, but I haven't heard of more than that, let alone $50.
    Which carrier charges $50 or are you simply trying to exaggerate the benefits of Bridge?
    03-16-13 04:18 PM
    Free hotspot functionality in Canada, at least on my carrier and I believe most others. I've heard of $20 (which is of course ridiculous since you pay for the data and should be able to use it as you see fit) in US, but I haven't heard of more than that, let alone $50.
    Which carrier charges $50 or are you simply trying to exaggerate the benefits of Bridge?
    As far as I'm concerned the benefits of bridge can never be exaggerated!

But of course that is my opinion based on how I prefer to use my combined devices.

There is but one path through life, but each man must choose to walk it his own way!

Ok I'll shut up now and go back to my brandy.
    BigFelter likes this.
    03-16-13 04:33 PM
    Sprint and ATT charge extra for hotspot functions. Not sure about T-Mobile. I read something about Verizon wasn't allowed to charge for it by law due to something in how they supply data or something like that. What I've found as I've studied Verizon, ATT and Sprint is that although Verizon doesn't charge "extra" for hotspotting, the cost is imbedded which is why they are the most costly carrier.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-16-13 04:43 PM
    With Sprint it an add-on. 2gb is $19.99 per month and 6gb is $49.99 per month and 5 cents per mb overage.

I just called Sprint to check and the prices above are still correct.
    Last edited by dphjeff; 03-16-13 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Called Sprint to check pricing
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-16-13 05:13 PM
    Sprint and ATT charge extra for hotspot functions. Not sure about T-Mobile. I read something about Verizon wasn't allowed to charge for it by law due to something in how they supply data or something like that. What I've found as I've studied Verizon, ATT and Sprint is that although Verizon doesn't charge "extra" for hotspotting, the cost is imbedded which is why they are the most costly carrier.
    Just interested but why did you order a white Z10?
    03-16-13 05:13 PM
    With Sprint it an add-on. 2gb is $19.99 per month and 6gb is $49.99 per month and 5 cents per mb overage.
    Presumably that is the cost for data.
    eg I spend $30 per month for 6 GB but there is no extra cost to access that data via mobile hotspot.

What does using your phone as a mobile hotspot on Sprint cost to access this data. Again, it would be surprising to hear this would be an additional $50.
    03-16-13 05:32 PM
    I still want to know why white?
    03-16-13 05:38 PM
    So if I'm in Verizon my z10 will have the mobile hot spot feature activated and will use my regular data plan?
    03-16-13 05:41 PM
    The 2gb and 6gb are add-ons to a existing phone plan. I pay $79.99 per month for an unlimited plan and would have to add $49.99 to that to use my PlayBook on that 6gb plan using my 9930 as a mobile hotspot. They have non-phone hotspots 3gb $39.99 per month, 6gb $49.99 per month, and 12gb $79.99 per month. So thats why I like using the BlackBerry Bridge.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    03-16-13 05:44 PM
    So if I'm in Verizon my z10 will have the mobile hot spot feature activated and will use my regular data plan?
    You should contact Verizon and check directly with them.
    03-16-13 05:57 PM
    I just looked on Verizons web-site and the mobile hotspot is included in there share plans. Verizon also has the Z10 for $199 on a two year contract.
    03-16-13 06:02 PM
    Presumably that is the cost for data.
    eg I spend $30 per month for 6 GB but there is no extra cost to access that data via mobile hotspot.

What does using your phone as a mobile hotspot on Sprint cost to access this data. Again, it would be surprising to hear this would be an additional $50.
    I'm finding it impossible to find out by searching plans on every carrier. None of them I looked at say anything about wifi hotspot. I do know that USCellular charges $25 more for tethering which I can't see if that includes wifi hotspot or not. So far I can use wifi hotspot without being charged (shhhhhhhh) but I have only done it for a few minutes a couple times to see if it works.
    03-16-13 06:06 PM
    I just looked on Verizons web-site and the mobile hotspot is included in there share plans. Verizon also has the Z10 for $199 on a two year contract.
    Where did you find it saying wifi hotspot is included or are they are calling it tethering?
    03-16-13 06:07 PM
    Sprint don't post pricing on device mobile hotspots you have to call for pricing. Verizon has it posted there anything-share plan.
    03-16-13 06:12 PM
    You should contact Verizon and check directly with them.
    I did. I have the unlimted data plan, and he said clicking the hot spot feature inside the Z10 will not do anything until I pay $20 more a month... but then I have to also switch plans to loose my unlimted, and get 2 GBs a month.

I paid $599 for my Z10 in order to keep my unlimited, they will try their hardest to make that difficult to use.

Ill just do like I did on my Storms and iphone and wait for a damn app I pay a flat fee for and use all the dang data I already pay for. Such nickle and dimes all the time.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-16-13 06:24 PM
45 12