Do you need Files & Folders on the BB Device? My Bridge connection is Unlocked.

Or am I getting an error because I'm on a BES?
    I don't think it works on BES.
    From the developer:

Are you on BES? If so, the PlayBook OS seems to actively prevent 3rd party apps from accessing the bridge files, probably for security reasons.

We have some notes on using Bridge over on our Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/note.php?no...47485838660317
    Innovatology likes this.
    10-03-12 11:31 AM
    I'm not convinced this wifi bridge is working for file transfers, or anything else for that matter. I get close to the same transfer times with wifi on and off. Could it be Files and Folders will only transfer over bluetooth?
    10-03-12 11:37 AM
    Transferring large files between devices which I do often would go much faster over wifi.
    I just transferred a 200 MB file from phone to PB using files and folders. The transfer took 5 minutes. I don't know how that compares just an observation.

what do you use to transfer files? id like to have this option.
    10-03-12 11:37 AM
    what do you use to transfer files? id like to have this option.
    Files and Folders. In app world.
    10-03-12 11:39 AM
    Two things I've learned from reading this thread:
    1) Phone / PB must be on same WiFi network while concurrently BT enabled on each.
    2) Speed of transferring data is noticably faster when bridging through WiFi.

I'm wondering, though, if it will even work / make any difference for me when:
    1) Using my 9900 as a mobile hotspot - creating its own WiFi network for the PB
    2) Improving my internet session if / when connected this way & using my corporate data (behind firewall). If this is possible, I can really see the benefit in WiFi over bridge - as BT bridge is the only way I can get to my corporate files (behind firewall) on my PlayBook.
    10-03-12 11:41 AM
    I'm wondering, though, if it will even work / make any difference for me when:
    1) Using my 9900 as a mobile hotspot - creating its own WiFi network for the PB
    Definitely not in that case, since the 9900 is not on the same WiFi as the PB, even if it is giving the WiFi to the PB.
    10-03-12 12:28 PM
    So are my files safe and secure when i am using bridge via a public open wifi?
    10-03-12 03:27 PM
    I get close to the same transfer times with wifi on and off. Could it be Files and Folders will only transfer over bluetooth?
    No, Files & Folders uses whatever Bridge gives it. BlueTooth or Wifi. It doesn't even know.
    Chaddface likes this.
    10-03-12 05:04 PM
    I have to say that it is disappointing that the BT connection needs to be maintained. I was hoping the bridge over wifi would allow me to leave my phone plugged into the charge and roam my house anywhere in wifi range (but out of BT range) and still have bridge capabilities.

Oh well.
    ast_ph likes this.
    10-03-12 06:24 PM
    Seems like quite unfortunate false advertising. If the devices are bridging over wifi, then they should bridge over wifi... not bluetooth.
    dphjeff likes this.
    10-03-12 08:32 PM
    and....?? the only place this helps is "open on playbook" for pictures where there's a small speed inprovement. Beyond that, since both are on wifi anyway, there is very little if any benefit to this.
    yeah I was hoping it would make the bridging snappier. its fine but more speed is always better.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-03-12 09:16 PM
    What about the remote? Does that work over wifi? Would it be a more reliable connection? Hang on, I'll check it now.

Update: Nope! Still bluetooth
    Last edited by Chaplain_Clancy; 10-03-12 at 10:32 PM.
    10-03-12 10:19 PM
    No, Files & Folders uses whatever Bridge gives it. BlueTooth or Wifi. It doesn't even know.
    Thanks for the response.
    Could it be the OS just isn't set up to allow 3rd party access?
    From what I can tell, streaming music or video from the phone SD card, initiated with Files and Folders, does use wifi. The transfers seem to be bluetooth only.
    10-03-12 11:25 PM
    Haha I know one thing ya'll missed. Granted I was under the impression bluetooth wouldn't be need as long as I was on the same wifi network as well, but try playing music on the playbook that's stored on your phone or even opening pics.......its a MUCH more enjoyable experience. Much faster than it used to be and for this alone I can appreciate the feature
    10-04-12 10:12 AM
    I did a for more tests and I think u have to have both devices connected to wifi before u connect them thru bridge and then it works properly. When I do it this way, I can see the data signal working as I start up any song.

Could someone else confirm what I'm saying....
    10-04-12 10:26 AM
    Seems noticeably faster with features such as the "Open on Playbook", like pictures. Also, playing large music files from your playbook using file manager to choose a song from your phone load faster with almost no load time.
    10-04-12 10:41 AM
    ^^ is that not what I said lol?
    10-04-12 11:01 AM
    So greater functionality from paid apps than the official blackberry software. Nice.
    Your cynicism misses the obvious: It's extremely unlikely that a developer would waste their time creating a (useless) app which provides LESS functionality than the OS, and even less likely that anyone would install it. So pretty much by definition, ALL apps aim to have more functionality than the core OS.
    Last edited by cletis; 10-04-12 at 02:22 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-04-12 11:10 AM
    in my case, I establish the usual bluetooth connectivity, but then I I can walk throughout my house with my pb and contact the bb to read email, this is exactly the feature I wanted because bluetooth had distance limitations that wifi did not.
    10-05-12 03:48 PM
    I don't see much improvement either way. Open on Playbook seems to be about the same with WiFi on or off. Pictures seem to cache so opening the second time is certainly quick but the original transfer seems to be about the same for me. Tried bridging then turning on wifi and the opposite running WiFi then turning on bridge did not notice any difference.
    10-07-12 08:12 AM
    The main advantage I see is file transfer. I can actually move movies and music to the PlayBook way faster now.
    Not to mention I can stream HD video from my Bold to the PlayBook. No copying needed. There's proof that it works right there.
    05-27-13 03:55 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD