I was just thinking about that today so I was glad to see this topic already started. The combination of the Playbook with anyone of RIMs smartphones (especially the new BB7 line) makes a very powerful combo. If RIM had integrated the smartphone into the Playbook from day one,...hmmmm we probably wouldn't be hanging on the edge waiting for BB10. The fact is, Playbook is QNX/BB10ish anyways. It is the first step towards full BB10 integration. So why not market the two together! I would think they could probably make a deal with the Carriers to offer the Playbook as an add on to the BBsmartphone contract. That way customers will be inclined to pickup the deal (easier to buy tech on a monthly payment plan), and then show people how well the two devices work together.
    I love kicking back and operating my phone from the Playbook. It makes BBM'ing a breeze, and you can play some kickazz 3D games between pings. They could call it the BBDuo. This would be the time to capitalize on this kind of marketing and could bring some needed sales relief to the platform.
    I know people have been holding off upgrading because the new platform is just sooooo close,..but in reality BB10 is already here, inside the Playbook, it just isn't the complete BB10 experience, but it will be. Maybe someone could come up with a case that would hold the two devices together!!
    07-17-12 04:35 PM
    BlackBerry Bridge between my Bold 9900 and my PlayBook is what makes my PlayBook the best Tablet choice for me! It allows me to use it for things I feel other tablets couldn't do for me. But if I'm wrong, tell me if you know of another tablet that can do this.

Use #1: Bridging internet from my 9900 to my PlayBook at no additional cost. Secure internet on my Tablet on-the-go at no additional cost is a big plus for me. I don't rely on looking for unsecure wifi hotspots to check my various online financial accounts and I don't have to pay my mobile carrier extra money to connect my PlayBook to use my already existing mobile data service.

Use #2: Bridging at home displaying my PlayBook on my HDTV and controlling all functions from my couch via using my Bold 9900 as a remote (especially internet browsing and photo sharing when we have family over). Maybe other tablets can be displayed via HDTV, but how many can be controlled with a smartphone as a remote controller?

Use #3: Bridging at Work. My company blocks the internet from accessing anything related to sports, but I love to listen to ESPN Radio, so streaming the live audio is possible when I access the ESPN radio website via Bridge. Sure, other tablets may have an ESPN App, but I guess the PlayBook doesn't need an app for something that can be accessed through the main website.

Nope, I don't subscribe to Netflix or Skype, nor do I play many games ever. I also never would take my tablet on-the-go if it was bigger than 7" so all-in-all, an iPad never provided enticing features for my needs, not to mention the high price tag.

Peace out!
    you hit all the same points that I have my pb for, including the non-use of netflix or skype. best tablet for my requirements.
    07-17-12 08:41 PM
    I couldn't agree more with the op and suggest a title change to "Bridge makes my Tablet better than all others (for my needs [and Todbanner +1s as he has one too and his needs mirror my own.])"
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    07-18-12 01:08 AM
    Took the words right out of my mouth! Got the 9900 about 6 months ago and the PB about 4 months ago they just go great together like peanut butter and jelly man!
    07-18-12 01:35 AM
    Agree with OP 100% and it's just gotten better since I upgraded to a Torch 9810 with a faster processor and 4G service. The Bridge works noticably faster than it did with my 9800. Near double the speed.
    07-18-12 10:01 AM
    3g speeds on network I use in SA not that great but the bridge function the best ever as wifi hotspots is really scares. Go bb!
    07-18-12 10:56 AM
    Agree with OP 100% and it's just gotten better since I upgraded to a Torch 9810 with a faster processor and 4G service. The Bridge works noticably faster than it did with my 9800. Near double the speed.
    wow, I have a storm 2 on CDMA, would it be faster with a BB7 phone?

I agree, bridge is amazing.
    07-18-12 10:58 AM

In my case it is and I assume that the faster processor + the 4G service is the reason. Not sure what the processor specs are on the Storm 2 but the Torch 9810 has a 1.2 GHz processor and more RAM than the phone I upgraded from (Torch 9800 running OS6).
    07-18-12 01:15 PM
    I agree with JT. I noticed improved speeds with my 9900 over my 9800. I occasionally forget to turn my wifi on and don't notice until I open my email or app world. I don't know about the CDMA speeds.
    07-18-12 01:29 PM

It will if your carrier has HSPA+ as the phones are not 4g LTE. My CDMA carrier does not have HSPA+.
    07-18-12 01:33 PM
    I've got a curve 8530, & bridge speeds are very acceptable. I love the bridge capability since I work in an environment with higher security & doesn't have wifi.
    07-18-12 07:02 PM
    I went from the 9800 to the 9900 and I got a lot more than double the speed. My 9800 was unlocked from ATT and running on T-Mo at EDGE speeds. It was worth buying the 9900 just to move to 4G, let alone the keyboard. The funny part is I really only needed 4G speed for my PlayBook.

I've got standard ATT 1.5Mb DSL at home. It speed tests at about 1.3 down. The PlayBook using Bridge from my 9900 was pulling about 1.1
    07-18-12 07:40 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD