Hi Folks,

I was hoping people could help clear up some confusion for me. I have a TouchPad which I'm thinking of trading for a Playbook. I currently have a BB Torch 9800 through my work which I can use for personal use. I don't have tethering included in my work plan but do have a BIS data plan. I can't seem to find reliable info if Bridging a Playbook to the Torch would count as tethering and incur extra charges or whether the Playbook would be able to piggyback on the Torch's internet connection and use the included data plan without tethering.

If anyone can clarify this for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    02-11-12 05:53 PM
    You will not incur any tethering charges from Telus. I am using my 9800 right now to respond to this post via AT$T data plan with no tethering charges. I have been using it in this manner since April.
    02-11-12 06:00 PM
    Hi Folks,

I was hoping people could help clear up some confusion for me. I have a TouchPad which I'm thinking of trading for a Playbook. I currently have a BB Torch 9800 through my work which I can use for personal use. I don't have tethering included in my work plan but do have a BIS data plan. I can't seem to find reliable info if Bridging a Playbook to the Torch would count as tethering and incur extra charges or whether the Playbook would be able to piggyback on the Torch's internet connection and use the included data plan without tethering.

If anyone can clarify this for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Bridge mode is not the same as tethering. With bridge-mode you use the BlackBerry smartphone to connect to the data service of the wireless carrier. With tethering you would be using a completely separate data channel. Telus, as far as I am aware, does not charge tethering fees when the BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry tablet are operating in bridged-mode via the BlackBerry Bridge functionality.
    02-11-12 06:01 PM
    Our work phones are all on Telus. But like I said, the tethering plan for our account is $8/MB so I want to make sure it won't incur charges. I called Telus and asked about bridging - they seemed confused, put me on hold for a while and then told me it was $8/MB to tether. But I'm not sure that's the same as bridging...but not having a Playbook I'm not really familiar with bridging shares the data plan. Thanks for the input, Folks
    02-11-12 07:24 PM
    When bridging through BB with playbook, you should not incur charges. That being said, ensure you install the bridge. If you search the forums, there is a wealth of info on it. However, if you attempt to connect with Any other tablet, you will end up tethering.
    One thing to watch is that sometimes when wifi is weak, you will ramp up hour c phones data as the PB will switch seamlessly to the more capable connection, at least in my experience.
    02-11-12 07:46 PM
    As BB9700 said bridge and tether are two different things. You will not accidentally tether to another device while using the bridge. To tether to a phone you have to go into the PB settings and setup the connection. Not something that will happen by mistake.
    You can go to app world now and download the bridge app.
    02-11-12 08:09 PM
    Thanks. Does the bridge application allow internet sharing through the browser (without tethering) as well as e-mail, etc access?
    02-12-12 02:45 AM
    Thanks. Does the bridge application allow internet sharing through the browser (without tethering) as well as e-mail, etc access?
    Yes it does. It also allows most apps to use the data connection. App world and video chat require wifi. I'm sure there are a few other apps that require wifi as well.

For example at work I am refused access to the wifi but using the bridge app along with my 9800 I am able to use both Internet browsers, stream music from the Slacker radio app, send/receive email and use BBM simultaneously. The PB handles all this surprisingly well for a 3g cell signal and bluetooth.
    As always you should keep an eye on your data usage if using a capped plan.
    The upcoming OS upgrade can only bring more functionality to the bridge app.
    Using the phone to control the PB is a confirmed addition. In the beta software that is out now I am able to stream music and standard definition video that is stored on the phone. The functions of rewind and fast forward are missing but may be something that will be added in the future. I'm not sure high definition video will ever be able to stream via bluetooth.
    With the current prices I don't see how you could go wrong. I payed full price when it was released and while I would rather have spent 200$ instead of 500$ I'm still happy with it. Happy enough that we bought a second.
    Sorry about the rambling post, the coffee is strong this morning.
    02-12-12 06:53 AM
    Essentially, when you browse using bridge, your 9800 will see it as if you are using the browser on your phone. I use mine all the time. Ieven tether on occasion, seeing as i'm allowed to use my 9800 as a modem as well
    02-12-12 08:39 AM
    Thanks, I got in touch with someone a little more knowledgeable at Telus and they indicated that there is no charge to share data via BB Bridge.

Can anyone give me a sense as to what kind of speed you get sharing data over the bridge with a Torch 9800 on 3G?
    02-14-12 06:44 PM
    You'd get 3G speeds your phone does but.... The max speed would be set by the bluetooth max speed.

So if, let's say, max speed for data BT allows is 5mbps, and your 3G's tops is 4mbps, you'd get the whole thing, but if it was 6mbps, you'd only get the max bluetooth can handle.

PS: Numbers are a mess, I have no idea what they would really be. Here at VIVO Brasil, I can hardly get over 1mbps over 3G on Bridge... But I do blame the carrier for this...
    02-14-12 07:00 PM
    You'd get 3G speeds your phone does but.... The max speed would be set by the bluetooth max speed.

So if, let's say, max speed for data BT allows is 5mbps, and your 3G's tops is 4mbps, you'd get the whole thing, but if it was 6mbps, you'd only get the max bluetooth can handle.

PS: Numbers are a mess, I have no idea what they would really be. Here at VIVO Brasil, I can hardly get over 1mbps over 3G on Bridge... But I do blame the carrier for this...
    The AT&T "4G/H+" in my town tops out at 1.2mbps.
    02-14-12 07:06 PM
    The AT&T "4G/H+" in my town tops out at 1.2mbps.
    On the PlayBook you mean? I thought "H+" was supposed to be 7.2mbps...
    02-14-12 07:19 PM
    diegonei -

Salvador Bahia = a cool place to live! Went there on vacation once when I was living in Bogota. I bought a 50 lb. piece of amethyst, which is currently sitting in my living room here in Calgary!
    02-14-12 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD