So I finally had success in opening a picture file from my SD card with the Bridge Files app. After the update yesterday, I had attempted to do this after noticing that I could actually see the files finally - but alas, DENIED. It opened the Pictures app, but the actual picture didn't come up. Other people in the forums had posted this exact same issue, so I figured that it was still unfinished and would be worked out in a future update.

Today I attempted again - not really sure what inspired me to do so - and it worked! There are a few things that could have caused the change. For one, I did a security wipe last night in an attempt to smooth out some of the choppiness that I've been experiencing in the OS animation (don't even get me STARTED on that, because although it was perfect for a few hours - smooth as butter, just like new - by bedtime it was almost as choppy as before. I'm thinking now it has to do with Flash, since I went to a bunch of flash interactive sites last night - c'mon 10.3!!).

It could also have to do with the fact that I've been using only Bridge applications all day, and wifi isn't even turned on - my work has a hidden SSID and when wiping my 'Book, the settings disappeared. I did back them up, but didn't get around to re-installing the backup yesterday. Now that the Bridge Browser kicks major @$$, I haven't even bothered going to the support section to set up the wifi again. Eh, I'll do it later.

The last little thing that stuck in my mind as being different today vs yesterday: before trying to open a pic from my 9650, I opened one from the PlayBook in the Bridge Files app. Maybe that opened the gate for smooth sailing? Who knows; I'm quite baffled.

I still can't get any music files to open from my SD card, though. In fact, I don't even SEE the music files in the folders where I know they are. Eh, at least I can throw my camera pics on the bigger screen now for better viewing/sharing. One small tidbit that annoyed me was that in order to open a new picture, I had to go back to Bridge Files and manually open it. No slideshow feature yet, even for pics in the same folder. I imagine that's coming, though. Anyone else been successful in opening pics with Bridge Files?
    fbloise, uci2ci, kstock and 3 others like this.
    06-08-11 10:15 AM
    i tried to open a photo from my bb via bridge file but after click open.... the pb simple open the pb photo gallery instead. it dont open the photo in my bb..... so far only open pdf from bridge work fine
    06-08-11 10:34 AM
    In ref to the first post, this definitely sounds like you had success because you wiped your device. For some reason, Playbook has issues with upgrading device software on top of a previous install. I witnessed the same thing when the update prior to 1.0.5.2304 came out.

I had to perform a wipe because I forgot what I had set my file sharing password to. PB restarted and installed the latest OS fresh without any other updates beneath it and a bunch of new features started magically working!

RIM needs to take care of this ASAP!!
    06-08-11 01:34 PM
    If the wipe fixed up the broken features, then why can some people see their music and I can't? Shouldn't my PB *theoretically* be able to do it all? Before, I couldn't see music but I could see pictures (just couldn't open them). Now I can open all the pictures, but my mp3s are still nonexistant! Playing music and videos from the SD card on my phone was one of the features I was looking forward to the most, as I only have a measly 16gigger. Eh... this too shall pass.
    06-08-11 02:43 PM
    after reading through this thread, I started thinking of all the crap I'd installed and uninstalled...and figured what the ****? So, I copied all my data files that I'd downloaded and transferred from the Playbook to my laptop and did the security wipe.

After it grabbed the latest update, I re-paired my Storm2 and Voila! I can open pictures from the Storm2 through the Bridge. I never had a problem opening up documents, .pdf files, or spreadsheets through it, and still don't.

I am finding, however, that programs that I'd had a problem with after the update are not allowing me to reinstall them. So, the system is seeing an issue with them and they need to be updated.

So far, these won't install:

Localipedia
    Quotes
    Webmaster's Wallet
    NabazTrol

Other than that, I'm a pretty happy camper...
    06-08-11 04:56 PM
    Thanks dude!!!

This also fixed the problem where picture attached cant be opened in in emails
    06-08-11 09:04 PM
    Looks like a security wipe might be on the cards then when I get home from work.
    06-08-11 09:15 PM
    Yup, working here too after wipe.
    06-08-11 10:12 PM
    I guess I'll have to get to this over the weekend. How long does this take?
    06-08-11 10:19 PM
    With backup, wipe, os install, restore - I guess an hour to an hour and a half. worth it though. Improved/fixed a number of functions, including Bridge Files and GPS.
    06-08-11 10:37 PM
    what a pathetic solution, not gonna go thru that hassle! RIM fix that rubbish and all the others issues in the latest BETA OS, N O W !
    06-09-11 01:13 AM
    hhmmm... its tempting. But i think im gonna wait as well. when i try to open photos in the bridge files, it goes and opens the picture app, but then doesn't actually load the photo i selected. Anyone else having this problem as well?... seems like it tries but only goes half way.... which seems to be RIMs style the last 2 years.... the half way approach.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-11 01:29 AM
    I'm in the process of my security wipe and update now. Will report on how things turn out.
    06-09-11 03:11 AM
    hhmmm... its tempting. But i think im gonna wait as well. when i try to open photos in the bridge files, it goes and opens the picture app, but then doesn't actually load the photo i selected. Anyone else having this problem as well?... seems like it tries but only goes half way.... which seems to be RIMs style the last 2 years.... the half way approach.

same issue here!
    06-09-11 04:35 AM
    what a pathetic solution, not gonna go thru that hassle! RIM fix that rubbish and all the others issues in the latest BETA OS, N O W !
    You can wait if you like, or you can fix it now. Its not like you have to sit there for an hour and a half. The process didn't require much user input. I just went about my business around the house for the vast majority of the time. At least mine is working now, suit yourself though.
    06-09-11 05:25 AM
    You can wait if you like, or you can fix it now. Its not like you have to sit there for an hour and a half. The process didn't require much user input. I just went about my business around the house for the vast majority of the time. At least mine is working now, suit yourself though.
    i had these issues too, and caught this thread last night, did the wipe before bed, setup and connected this morning, and now i have everything working with Bridge. True, this should not be an normal, perhaps not acceptable, but worth the time if it works, and it did for me.
    06-09-11 05:42 AM
    i had these issues too, and caught this thread last night, did the wipe before bed, setup and connected this morning, and now i have everything working with Bridge. True, this should not be an normal, perhaps not acceptable, but worth the time if it works, and it did for me.
    Exactly. I'm not saying MRM is wrong, but you can be right (and wait quietly or complain), or you can have a working playbook. Those are the choices at the moment. I chose the latter and put the issue behind me already.
    06-09-11 05:55 AM
    Looks like something I'm going to try, can't open pictures over bridge, no other issues though.
    06-09-11 06:33 AM
    I'm glad I helped so many of y'all! Didn't realize my little discovery would bring so much joy. Opening my phone pictures on my PB is awesome, btw.
    LuisCast likes this.
    06-09-11 08:01 AM

Same problem here. And that's what happens if there is a jpg attachment in mail.

I have a ton of mp3 files and a number of videos - copying those back and forth takes quite a bit of time. But if others keep reporting the WIPE works, then I guess I will follow suit. But this is certainly not a graceful process or transition. This is where an SDCard slot would save a lot of hassle.
    06-09-11 09:04 AM
    Before you all jump on this bandwagon, you should know that I did the security wipe and restore and it did not help with the .jpg attchments, as I still cannot download them with this new OS.
    FYI, I did the complete back-up (took 1 hour as I have a lot of MP4 videos saved on my Playbook), and a complete restore (another hour) and everything is back the same as before with no way to download a .jpg attachment.
    So that's 2 hours of my life that I won't get back! (And the demo video is now gone as well.)
    06-09-11 10:06 AM
    Before you all jump on this bandwagon, you should know that I did the security wipe and restore and it did not help with the .jpg attchments, as I still cannot download them with this new OS.
    FYI, I did the complete back-up (took 1 hour as I have a lot of MP4 videos saved on my Playbook), and a complete restore (another hour) and everything is back the same as before with no way to download a .jpg attachment.
    So that's 2 hours of my life that I won't get back! (And the demo video is now gone as well.)
    Yeah, I was pretty bummed about the demo video too. Like I said previously, I didn't wipe my PB with the intention of opening this functionality - it just happened to work out that way. One question though, what do you mean by "download a .jpg attachment"? The main purpose of this method is to be able to open pictures within the Bridge Files app. It should just be reading what's on your SD card - no download necessary.
    06-09-11 10:13 AM
    Yeah, I was pretty bummed about the demo video too. Like I said previously, I didn't wipe my PB with the intention of opening this functionality - it just happened to work out that way. One question though, what do you mean by "download a .jpg attachment"? The main purpose of this method is to be able to open pictures within the Bridge Files app. It should just be reading what's on your SD card - no download necessary.
    The problem mentioned by many is that when you receive an e-mail with a picture attachment (.jpg) on your Playbook you have the option to "tap to download". In the previous OS it would work perfectly by "tapping to open" and in this OS it still does nothing, even after doing your security wipe method.
    So again, this is NOT the answer to anyone having this problem!
    06-09-11 10:18 AM
    The problem mentioned by many is that when you receive an e-mail with a picture attachment (.jpg) on your Playbook you have the option to "tap to download". In the previous OS it would work perfectly by "tapping to open" and in this OS it still does nothing, even after doing your security wipe method.
    So again, this is NOT the answer to anyone having this problem!
    I just tried this and it worked for me. I don't know if it worked under OS 1.05 before I wiped it, though, as I rarely get emails with pictures and thus hadn't attempted.
    06-09-11 10:25 AM
    EDIT TO MY ABOVE POST:

I just rebooted the Playbook again and now here is what happens when you receive an e-mail with a .jpg attachment:

Open e-mail and hit "tap to download". It now takes you to a new screen with the "wooden floor image" background and then displays the picture. But there is no way to save it except by taking a screenshot (which does work).

This is an improvement from where this OS was before the security wipe but it is still a step backwards from the previous OS where "tap to download" worked as it was supposed to.
    Last edited by tellsells; 06-09-11 at 11:38 AM.
    06-09-11 10:25 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD