Probably dumb questions;

1. Can you work from the PB on files that are stored on the 9900's SD card or do they need to be first transferred to the PB?

2. If they need to be transferred to the PB in order to work on them, does this affect your data plan?

I'm curious since if you can manipulate files direcly off my 32 GB SD card or if it doesn't affect your data plan, then why would I need anything more than a 16 GB PB?
    11-19-11 11:29 AM
    You may be able to edit files - I guess try and open word and see if you can also see files on the bb phone. Any such use, if it works, would be via bluetooth.

I guess if you have dropbox or boxnet or similar, you can transfer and, yes, you can transfer between bbphone and pb using some 3rd party FileManager apps like File Browser.
    11-19-11 12:30 PM
    Ok then I'm going to assume you really don't need a 32 or 64 PB unless I'm missing something else?
    11-19-11 12:41 PM
    Ok then I'm going to assume you really don't need a 32 or 64 PB unless I'm missing something else?
    The concept of "need" is definitely relative. For example, I generally keep all my important documents on the 32GB microSD card in my BlackBerry smartphone and access those documents from the BlackBerry PlayBook (16GB BBPB) via bridge-mode. However, in the case of my personal-use BlackBerry PlayBook I store music, books, and videos/movies on the tablet simply because there is plenty of storage (32GB BBPB) and transferring movies via BlueTooth could be painfully slow and I do not think the video application allows browsing off the tablet. The amount of storage on the tablet is based on your individual use-case. Alternatively, with the Seagate GoFlex WiFi-enabled external hard drive you could easily carry your entire multimedia library and only copy to the tablet as needed.
    11-19-11 12:56 PM
    ...all my important documents on the 32GB microSD card in my BlackBerry smartphone and access those documents from the BlackBerry PlayBook (16GB BBPB) via bridge-mode. ...I do not think the video application allows browsing off the tablet.
    1. When you access via bridge and not bluetooth, does this consume the data plan?

2. If the video player won't run off of the smartphone, then I assume neither will the music player? Is this correct?

Thanks.
    11-19-11 01:28 PM
    It depends on what you are accessing. Using the Bridge for browsing uses your PHONE and your data. Using WIFI would not use your data. Bridge now also works for some of the 3rd party programs (maybe Poynt) and if so, it would use data if you are not in a wifi area.

No music or video at this time. I don't know if it is technically possible over the relatively slow bt. (I did get music, one song at a time to play using a phone app - through ip addressing - NO video though)
    11-19-11 03:54 PM
    It depends on what you are accessing. Using the Bridge for browsing uses your PHONE and your data. Using WIFI would not use your data. Bridge now also works for some of the 3rd party programs (maybe Poynt) and if so, it would use data if you are not in a wifi area.

No music or video at this time. I don't know if it is technically possible over the relatively slow bt. (I did get music, one song at a time to play using a phone app - through ip addressing - NO video though)
    Would simply transferring, for an example, a Word or Media file from the phone to the PB and back again use up your data plan?
    11-19-11 04:05 PM
    Would simply transferring, for an example, a Word or Media file from the phone to the PB and back again use up your data plan?
    No, as the bridge operates over bluetooth.
    11-19-11 07:23 PM
    No. As noted in the next reply, it uses Bluetooth.

No, as the bridge operates over bluetooth.
    I think this can get confusing for some folks. Because using the Bridge is a Bluetooth process but using Bridge for Browsing is a combined BT and DATA process. The phone uses data to browse and then sends that data to the pb using Bridge-bt. And, again, with an OS upgrade a few times ago, rim expanded the Bridge to some 3rd party apps that need data - so that those, too, would use the phone to get data (your data package) and then "bluetooth" (verb!) it to the pb.
    11-19-11 08:12 PM
    Got it, thanks! That sounds pretty good then for moving stuff between devices is you run out of space. The reality is that even with a 64 GB PB with a big media collection, you're likely going to need a PC or laptop.

If I understand correctly then, with a 16 GB PB and 32 GB SD I should have plenty of space.

How long would it take to move a feature length movie over to the PB on average by BT?
    11-19-11 08:14 PM
    if some one knows the speed of bt transfers you could estimate. I don't that speed.
    11-19-11 10:24 PM
    hmm i was hoping for streaming media files via the bluetooth bridge. but it looks like it doesn't work like this /:
    01-11-12 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD