Didn't see any other threads on this topic so forgive if there is. For those of you who don't have unlimited data, for example have 2GB through ATT, are you able to bridge to the playbook, browse the web, and still stay under your data allowance? How much would it take to go over? I will mostly be using the playbook at home on wifi, but would like the option to bridge and use it for long car rides, etc. Thanks for any helpful input.
    09-07-11 10:08 PM
    I got 2GB on t-mobile. been all over this forum and half again just surfing, mostly on wifi. Maybe 12 hrs on bridge. I have 7 days left in my cycle and have used 79MB.
    09-07-11 10:42 PM
    Bridge is using your phone's data plan so you have to watch it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-11 11:07 PM
    Bridge is using your phone's data plan so you have to watch it.

Kind of the point of the thread ??
    09-07-11 11:51 PM
    My carrier has an upper limit on BES/BIS data of 10 gig...fair use policy they say.
    09-08-11 02:40 AM
    Kind of the point of the thread ??
    Yeah sorry. Mis-read it earlier. Somehow I thought the OP was asking something else. Why. I have no idea now that I re read it.

09-08-11 04:05 AM
    Yeah, I guess what I'm wondering is if I use bridge, not on wi-fi, purely browsing on the playbook using the bridge browser, does that use up a lot more data than if I was just browsing on my BB, or is it the same? I'd like to be able to browse while out and about if I need to, but only if I'll be able to stay under my data allowance.
    09-08-11 09:24 AM
    Check out a data monitor app such as e-office mobile - Mobile Data Alerter That will keep you in touch with your usage.

Looks to me like the PB uses more data but that experience is pretty limited. My data plan does not allow browsing by Bridge at 200megs a month. Using the phone lightly works fine. The PB is only for WiFi for me.
    09-08-11 09:29 AM
    I have assumed (I know...) that bridging to my Verizon BB with unlimited data plan means I don't have to worry about this. Am I wrong?
    09-08-11 10:12 AM
    streaming music, surfing during lunch, and all my phone stuff, my monthly data usage sits at under 1gb, this month im pushing as hard as I can and I have used 1.32gb and my billing date closes on sept 14th.

I have a 6gb data plan, but in all my months using the PB and bb, I dont even come close to 1gb of data. So don't sweat it
    thecondor33 likes this.
    09-08-11 10:15 AM
    after pushing my playbook bridge browsing to the limits i think i got to 0.3GB of use.

i don't stream much music or video, though.
    but trust me, it's tough to get over 1 GB of use.
    thecondor33 likes this.
    09-08-11 11:30 AM
    I averaged around 1gb a month on my lappy. On the PB last bill I was at 1.4gb. This is no streaming or playing videos etc. I mostly surf, chat room and IM and I do it every day for an avg of 4 or 5 hours a day except on weekend when I mostly use wifi.
    thecondor33 likes this.
    09-08-11 12:03 PM
    QuIcKsIlV3r, belseat, and kbz1960 Great info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!
    09-08-11 12:20 PM
    For a quick way to check your data usage, dial *DATA# (*3282#) and press the Send key like you're making a call. You'll receive a text showing your usage for the month and how much data you have left.
    09-08-11 12:37 PM
    Yeah, I guess what I'm wondering is if I use bridge, not on wi-fi, purely browsing on the playbook using the bridge browser, does that use up a lot more data than if I was just browsing on my BB, or is it the same? I'd like to be able to browse while out and about if I need to, but only if I'll be able to stay under my data allowance.
    It should not be any different as far as just browsing goes, except you may get more desktop sites. The data is still running through your phone and compressed by RIM's servers. If you were to already browse on your phone, using BRIDGE to use your PB instead shouldn't make much difference.

Now, if you are using BRIDGE to tether Apps constantly, you need to be careful. Streaming could add up.
    09-08-11 12:57 PM
    2GB is fine for bridging, most people wont over that if they already dont in their blackberry phones, because as the above poster said, bridge directly uses the BIS connection and data is compressed. It will be more than on the phone obviously, but not above 2GB.

Tethering is uncompressed, or at least not as compressed as the BIS connection, it connects directly to the AT&T network, and will consume more bytes than bridge, which is probably why AT&T's tethering plan has 4GB for consumption, instead of 2.
    Last edited by gbsn; 09-08-11 at 02:05 PM.
    09-08-11 01:58 PM
    Hi
    Just found this thread and was just trying to clarify it all in my mind. The PB uses the phones data allowance when connecting via the bridge on 3G (not WIFI).
    When I spoke to orange uk recently they said that the data usage is unlimited when using the blackberry phone but is limited to 500Gb when using the sim in another phone??
    If there is a technical person from orange could they please confirm this point.
    If this is true then data usage using the PB via the bridge should be unllimited??

Dos this make sense???

Regards
    Neil Cheshire
    08-06-12 11:10 AM
    Hi
    Just found this thread and was just trying to clarify it all in my mind. The PB uses the phones data allowance when connecting via the bridge on 3G (not WIFI).
    When I spoke to orange uk recently they said that the data usage is unlimited when using the blackberry phone but is limited to 500Gb when using the sim in another phone??
    If there is a technical person from orange could they please confirm this point.
    If this is true then data usage using the PB via the bridge should be unllimited??

Dos this make sense???

Regards
    Neil Cheshire
    For all the carrier cares, Bridge is just your phone using data. So, in your case, don't worry about it.

What the guy (girl) from Orange didn't explain is: BB phones use BIS, which is a different data plan than the regular one used by other devices. So if you put your card into another device, you'll be using the carrier's generic data plan, capped to 500... 500GB?!? THSI CANNOT BE RIGHT!
    08-06-12 11:26 AM
    For all the carrier cares, Bridge is just your phone using data. So, in your case, don't worry about it.

What the guy (girl) from Orange didn't explain is: BB phones use BIS, which is a different data plan than the regular one used by other devices. So if you put your card into another device, you'll be using the carrier's generic data plan, capped to 500... 500GB?!? THSI CANNOT BE RIGHT!
    Oops sorry meant 500Mb (Gb would be nice though)
    08-06-12 11:45 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    08-06-12 11:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD