Yes, I'm pretty sure that sooner or later, AT&T will try to charge you for "bridging," probably by inserting a whopping expensive tethering plan without your consent. They tried that with me even though I have an old Motorola flip phone (i.e., not a smart phone) with a grandfathered plan that includes unlimited data (not that the phone can do much with data) and almost unlimited messaging (which I don't use). AT&T suddenly added a data+tethering plan plus a messaging plan. When I noticed, I then had to spend way too much time arguing with several AT&T people before they would change things back--should have switched to another carrier at that point...
    01-05-12 04:58 PM
    But was AT&T going to charge you a fee if you wanted to pay your bills? Verizon's dumb move of the month!
    Altarocks likes this.
    01-05-12 06:44 PM
    I just check my plan, no tether. I don't want to shut my playbook off, might loose it.haha
    I definitely want check out the bridge browser previously mentioned. If anyone else has this experience post please.
    I've used rroy's version from day 1. No reason for concern - he spends a great deal of time and effort helping BB users find downloads, both official and leaked. All he asks is to consider a donation if you find his site useful.
    01-05-12 07:06 PM
    Bridge browser worked for about 2 days then quit. Deleted it and loaded rroyys version (? newbe). Was extremely easy to load and now the complete tether app works as it should. Mr rroyy ( who or what ever that is) will be getting a donation. Thanks.
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-06-12 08:26 PM
    In my excitement, while waiting for my PB to be delivered, I installed the att Bridge app. Then, upon the advice of the good people here, I deleted that version and installed rroy's. So, I have the expanded functionality of that bridge, with no att charge. I have complete internet access on rroy's bridge, including being able to use things like the Facebook and Crackberry apps. So let's see...you can choose more functionality for no extra charge or less functionality for more money. Hmmmmmm. What should you do? What should you do?
    RBergmann1 likes this.
    01-06-12 09:24 PM
    Bridge browser worked for about 2 days then quit. Deleted it and loaded rroyys version (? newbe). Was extremely easy to load and now the complete tether app works as it should. Mr rroyy ( who or what ever that is) will be getting a donation. Thanks.
    How exactly do you load his bridge browser? Access it through the browser on your phone?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-07-12 07:26 AM
    Yes, you need to go to rroyy.com using the phone and downloading it OTA (over the air). One suggestion is to navigate the site on your computer or pb, figure out where the link it, then do the same steps on your phone.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-07-12 10:37 AM
    I deleted the original bridge off and then went to rroyy.com went to bridge app, downloaded proper one for my phone and boom works great no problems. I couldn't believe it. I was actually considering getting a.tethering plan. Got to love crackberry.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-07-12 11:22 AM
    This situation made me realize there is no can can't with this equipment. I tend to work with what I got. I really wanted to be mobile with the pb, internet mobile, but figured it would cost or needed to wait until my contract was up. Live and learn. What can I say I'm a newbe to the bb/crackberry world. Also, Apple sucks. haha just kidding.
    01-07-12 11:28 AM
    I also see a pb download for an android player. I take it I need to be rooted for that.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-07-12 04:17 PM
    My ATT bridge also worked for a day or so a couple weeks ago and is now back to not working.

I use the official bridge from App World. I'm not about to download the OTA bridge from rroyy's site.
    I've been using the bridge app from RROYY's site since it was available. It's very safe. You're doing yourself a disservice by not using it.

Read the forums a bit about it.

Take care,
    Brian
    01-07-12 06:36 PM
    As far as I know there are only 2 versions of the bridge app. The one most people use and the one crippled by AT$T. Downloading the version from rroyy is not going to harm you or your phone in anyway. It's not a hacked app or anything along those lines. It's simply a way for AT$T users to have access to the app the rest of the PB community uses.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    01-07-12 06:52 PM
    As far as I know there are only 2 versions of the bridge app. The one most people use and the one crippled by AT$T. Downloading the version from rroyy is not going to harm you or your phone in anyway. It's not a hacked app or anything along those lines. It's simply a way for AT$T users to have access to the app the rest of the PB community uses.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct. rroyys app is not anything hacked or modded. it is the original bridge app created from RIM that was made available via OTA... because it doesnt have ATTs "signature" on it it is not restricted and is able to be used as RIM intended. AFAIK, for ATT users, we wont get notification of updates to it though, because it is not passed through ATT to say there is an update. I have not had my PB long enough to get an update to my bridge though. I got it just after the latest release of the last update. and i had the original att bridge app prior to getting my PB. as soon as i tried to bridge it, i saw the bridge browser was locked, so i removed it and got rroyys version.
    jafobabe and Chaddface like this.
    01-08-12 01:05 PM
    Ok so just to clarify, since I am on ATT, I have dl'd from RROY, and if I use the bridge to surf the web through my phone on my pb, I will not be charged now or have to sign up for tethering?

Bill
    Correct. I have been doing it since April with no additional charges.
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-08-12 01:35 PM
    Hi.. just purchased the blackberry playbook and am interested in rroys app. however while using my home wifi to connect rroys site and in attempt to DL the OTA bridge, i get a gray screen, and the dl file comes back with a message 'Unable to find default app'. I really am interested in using Rroys app, but am at a loss in figuring out how to install. Can anyone help me?
    01-11-12 01:35 PM
    Did the rroy install OTA from my BB and I am not seeing an icon on my 9700. I have done a couple of battery pulls. The application does show up in the installed application list as an optional component. Did I do something wrong?
    01-12-12 04:59 PM
    Did the rroy install OTA from my BB and I am not seeing an icon on my 9700. I have done a couple of battery pulls. The application does show up in the installed application list as an optional component. Did I do something wrong?
    I have heard that before related to the 9700. Try the version previous to this one and see if that works. Delete the one you have now before trying another.
    It's been so long since I did the intial pair. Do you need to see the app icon? Try to start the pairing from the PB.
    01-12-12 05:05 PM
    Ok so just to clarify, since I am on ATT, I have dl'd from RROY, and if I use the bridge to surf the web through my phone on my pb, I will not be charged now or have to sign up for tethering?

Bill
    Correct. I have been doing it since April with no additional charges.
    Understanding that you will incur data usage through your phone doing this, so make sure you have an unlimited data plan or one with enough data to warrant the extra traffic.
    01-12-12 05:49 PM
    Hey All,

I just got a 9000 bold and tried to install the bridge, I downlaoded the rroyy but get 907 Error...any ideas?

Jason
    Last edited by jpy007; 01-16-12 at 01:10 PM.
    01-16-12 01:08 PM
    Hey All,

I just got a 9000 bold and tried to install the bridge, I downlaoded the rroyy but get 907 Error...any ideas?

Jason
    Which OS version is on the Bold and what OS version of bridge did you try to download?
    01-16-12 01:14 PM
    9000 - v4.6.0304(Platform 4.0.0.247)
    Bridge - BlackBerry Bridge v1.0.7.5 (OS5)
    01-16-12 01:23 PM
    9000 - v4.6.0304(Platform 4.0.0.247)
    Bridge - BlackBerry Bridge v1.0.7.5 (OS5)
    Bridge only works with OS 5 and higher. Update your 9000.
    jpy007 likes this.
    01-16-12 01:31 PM
    Thanks, where do I go to upgrade the OS?
    01-16-12 01:46 PM
    Thanks, where do I go to upgrade the OS?
    Check your post in the 9000 forum.
    jpy007 likes this.
    01-16-12 02:07 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD