I pop on my trusty little buddy PB this morning and the bridge browser was working. I have ATT and have not altered my plan nor has the bridge browser work. Not complaining just wondering if there is any news or if anyone else is experiencing this. Thanks!
    01-05-12 10:12 AM
    I pop on my trusty little buddy PB this morning and the bridge browser was working. I have ATT and have not altered my plan nor has the bridge browser work. Not complaining just wondering if there is any news or if anyone else is experiencing this. Thanks!
    You can get the bridge browser to work. First unistall the bridge app. Restart the phone, then download the bridge app from RROYY - APPLICATIONS and you are good to go.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 10:15 AM
    Interesting..... No additional plan?
    01-05-12 10:20 AM
    You can get the bridge browser to work. First unistall the bridge app. Restart the phone, then download the bridge app from RROYY - APPLICATIONS and you are good to go.
    I think there is a misunderstanding of what the OP is saying... I believe he is saying he already has the ATT version of bridge, and while it was locked out yesterday, today it is unlocked and working...

I have ATT but I also have rroyy's OTA app, so I dont know. Im hesitant to down grade to the ATT version now after having it work with the original file.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 10:22 AM
    That is exactly what I am saying. I don't know if this a business decision for att or a screw up by att. Works great faster than I thought it would be.
    01-05-12 10:44 AM
    That is exactly what I am saying. I don't know if this a business decision for att or a screw up by att. Works great faster than I thought it would be.
    Just keep and eye on your monthly bill, with ATT they never give away anything!
    01-05-12 11:01 AM
    Trust me, you will get a bill for the extra data plan from AT&T; they may screw things up every now and then, but trust me, if you haven't agreed to the bridge/tether data plan, they'll gently remind you with a whopping bill.
    Serkle K, Willard814 and jafobabe like this.
    01-05-12 11:03 AM
    I'd like to know if that happens - my understanding was that you have to sign up for tethering or bridging service to get the bridge app from at&t - I can't see them charging without your authorization for the extra data service - that's why I would be afraid to downgrade to THEIR app as well.

I don't think you can even GET their app without requesting/authorizing this service but I really don't know either as I have been using rroyy.

How/where did you get your bridge app for the phone OP?
    Willard814 and jafobabe like this.
    01-05-12 11:11 AM
    I'd like to know if that happens - my understanding was that you have to sign up for tethering or bridging service to get the bridge app from at&t - I can't see them charging without your authorization for the extra data service - that's why I would be afraid to downgrade to THEIR app as well.

I don't think you can even GET their app without requesting/authorizing this service but I really don't know either as I have been using rroyy.

Yes, you CAN get the app without "requesting" anything. As an AT&T user myself, I know. I got the app out of AppWorld and it DID NOT work the way the rroyy version does. It told me I needed a tethering plan to use it fully. I quickly uninstalled that one and got the rroyy one, which works fine.

Trust me, AT&T WILL add to your bill WITHOUT "your consent". My daughter broke her phone last week, so I ordered her a replacement through her insurance we had on that phone. Then my wife let her use my old Curve for the 2 days before her new phone was scheduled to arrive. AT&T promptly added the "Data Package for Blackberry Smartphones" to our bill as soon as she inserted her sim card and turn it on. Now, I get to pay for a data plan that her phone can't even use.
    Willard814 and jafobabe like this.
    01-05-12 11:36 AM
    Yes, you CAN get the app without "requesting" anything. As an AT&T user myself, I know. I got the app out of AppWorld and it DID NOT work the way the rroyy version does. It told me I needed a tethering plan to use it fully. I quickly uninstalled that one and got the rroyy one, which works fine.

Trust me, AT&T WILL add to your bill WITHOUT "your consent". My daughter broke her phone last week, so I ordered her a replacement through her insurance we had on that phone. Then my wife let her use my old Curve for the 2 days before her new phone was scheduled to arrive. AT&T promptly added the "Data Package for Blackberry Smartphones" to our bill as soon as she inserted her sim card and turn it on. Now, I get to pay for a data plan that her phone can't even use.
    AT&T is like the mafia, they will get there money! One way or another...
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-05-12 12:16 PM

My wife has a pantech slider that an at&t rep gave her. they add the 2gb plan to her phone regularly. It seems i have to call them every other month and have the same chat, i say "this is not a smart phone" they give me the same response "it shows in our system that it is blah, blah". Last time, i asked first why they took it upon themselves to add the 2gb instead of the 200mb and was told that "smartphones use a lot of data and they wouldn't want us to incur any overages". They are so helpful!
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 01:36 PM
    I agree ATT is very "rigid" when it comes to fees. When my contract is up i am definitely shopping for a plan that can tether the playbook w/o another 20-30 bucks ( i pay for a certain amount, how I use it is my business. If I go over charge me. sheess) But I have opened the bridge browser before and it has said it was not supported and requires contacting att. The tether works great. I can leave the phone in my vehicle and be in the house or office and still be tether to my phone. I will raise some s#$?# if the try to tack me with a tethering plan without an order. I have had problems w/ apps with them before.
    01-05-12 02:23 PM
    But it sounds as if they have stopped that INTERCEPT message that says you need Tether. Supposedly, they should not be able to tell that the data from Bridge Browser is on the pb. So maybe they have dropped their objection.
    01-05-12 02:38 PM
    My ATT bridge also worked for a day or so a couple weeks ago and is now back to not working.

I use the official bridge from App World. I'm not about to download the OTA bridge from rroyy's site.
    01-05-12 03:14 PM
    I just check my plan, no tether. I don't want to shut my playbook off, might loose it.haha
    I definitely want check out the bridge browser previously mentioned. If anyone else has this experience post please.
    01-05-12 03:16 PM
    My ATT bridge also worked for a day or so a couple weeks ago and is now back to not working.

I use the official bridge from App World. I'm not about to download the OTA bridge from rroyy's site.
    whats wrong with it?
    01-05-12 03:18 PM
    . . .I use the official bridge from App World. I'm not about to download the OTA bridge from rroyy's site.
    I've had both my Playbook and my 9810 for about 4 months and have used rroyy's OTA Bridge app the whole time. It works great and AT&T can bite me. Actually, it works so good that my wife (who hates technology almost as much as she hates paying for "extra crap") is impressed.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-05-12 03:19 PM
    christenmartin,
    why not call them and ask before you have to fight them. You can always download the ota from rroyy if they say they charge.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 01-05-12 at 03:24 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-05-12 03:22 PM
    thats what I like to hear!! I going to try it out whether the browser continues or not.
    01-05-12 03:22 PM
    christenmartin,
    why not call them and ask before you have to fight them. You can always the ota from rroyy if they say they charge.
    just check. no additional.
    01-05-12 03:24 PM
    whats wrong with it?
    I haven't found anything wrong with it, it works flawlessly. The only thing you will not be able to access through your phone using rroyy's OTA Bridge app is the Appworld itself (which I find funny since that is RIM's own app). With my 4G 9810 the speeds are NOT "noticably slower" than when on WiFi, so all is right in my world.
    01-05-12 03:26 PM
    No 4g where I live. Tried it out though and it was faster than the phone (better browser im sure) and being able to tether anywhere makes it that much more portable.
    01-05-12 03:31 PM
    Is at&t the only provider that currently does this?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-05-12 04:26 PM
    As far as I know, yes, att is the only service provider with the nerve to charge you for what your already paying for. That's why I am now a very happy Sprint customer. I used the ota bridge back when I still used att and it worked great for me, but the best thing to do is find a better provider.
    01-05-12 04:37 PM
    . . .but the best thing to do is find a better provider.
    Here's the funny thing though,
    As much as people like to talk about how crappy AT&T is and how great Sprint is, my wife has a mobile business and had her phone on a Sprint account (our personal phone has been with AT&T for the last 10-12 years). Her business operates around a major metropolitan area (just south of Seattle, Washington). Sprint had no coverage in her area, but my AT&T phone was flawless in the same area. So in the end, we ended up moving her Sprint line to AT&T, get this, so she could get a signal! We even went to Sprint and asked them "Why can't we get a signal in this area?" They said "Well, probably because we really don't have very good coverage there, sorry."

Anyway, just my little story about one man's experiences with the "greener grass of the other side".
    01-05-12 04:56 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD