I've noticed a significant increase in loss of battery life since bridging to text and bbm on the playbook. the drain happens very quickly. is this normal?
    01-17-13 12:11 PM
    It is.
    Bluetooth and wifi, will kill the battery PDQ if used even moderately. I only turn my BT and WiFi radio's on when needed. The same goes double for my LTE radio. (although, it boots up instantly, unlike wifi which takes seconds (lol, what a society eh, measuring inconveniences in seconds)
    wetuman likes this.
    01-17-13 12:15 PM
    what I do is just go into OPTIONS and hit AIRPLANE MODE. I use texting all the time on my PB as I love the keyboard. Then if my Berry tells me I need to attend to something it is easy to tap the AIRPLANE MODE again.
    wetuman likes this.
    01-17-13 01:00 PM
    I find that if I have any accounts setup in the native Playbook apps, it will run my BB 9930 battery down checking for email, even if it's set to manual. If I only use Bridged email, etc - battery life is fine on both devices.
    wetuman likes this.
    01-17-13 02:18 PM
    I've noticed a significant increase in loss of battery life since bridging to text and bbm on the playbook. the drain happens very quickly. is this normal?
    Check out several past threads on this. The majority conclusion was that BT and wifi marginally effect battery drain, as long as you have a signal. Many people did tests with BatteryGuru enabled and we're able to demonstrate and post screenshots of the battery drain history showing this. There are many other factors that contribute to excessive battery drain, including email check settings and screen brightness. The majority of our PBs at work are Bridged or wifi connected, or both all day long with no issues. My personal PB is Bridged most of the day and wifi is always on and I end up with at least 30-40% battery by bedtime, and that's with fairly heavy use. You'll find the majority of PB owners with the OEM BT keyboard leave their PB and KB paired always, as well as being bridged and haven't experienced excessive battery drain from that either.

Research those past threads. Many good battery saving tips in there as well. How about giving us some numbers, like battery drain rate over hours or such. Better yet, download BatteryGuru and monitor it, then post your chart screenshots so we can see what's going on. If you're talking a drain that goes from 100% to 30% in a couple of hours, then that's excessive and somethings is not right. Give some examples
    Chaddface and wetuman like this.
    01-18-13 12:54 AM
    I am having poor battery life as mentioned in my other post. I have wifi on browsing net and had full charge this morning and now down to 70% after 1hour.

Not sure why it is going down so quick?
    wetuman likes this.
    01-20-13 04:20 AM
    I love the Playbook. I am a heavy user, a news junkie. I became concerned about the battery life and bought a new 64gb to replace my 16gb thinking that would help. I started bridging text and bbm to my 9900 so that I could get used to the virtual keyboard in preparation of BB 10. I'm lucky to get four hours out of the battery. very few apps. love the Playbook and my 9900, just wish battery life was better. Really gulps battery when bridged and not on wifi..
    01-20-13 07:33 AM
    I am having poor battery life as mentioned in my other post. I have wifi on browsing net and had full charge this morning and now down to 70% after 1hour.

Not sure why it is going down so quick?
    If you have Native email set to Manual sync it can cause severe battery drain. Also, what setting is your screen/backlight at - that can save power. Running anything else in the background?
    01-20-13 09:31 AM
    With BlackBerry Bridge enabled between smartphone and tablet the battery drain is approximately 1% per three-hour period if WiFi is disabled and the tablet is in stand-by mode. I use BlackBerry Bridge extensively with it only disabled when I enable Airplane Mode on the tablet; battery life seems fairly good at between 1-3 days @ 4-8 hours each day.
    wetuman likes this.
    01-20-13 09:46 AM
    I love the Playbook. I am a heavy user, a news junkie. I became concerned about the battery life and bought a new 64gb to replace my 16gb thinking that would help. I started bridging text and bbm to my 9900 so that I could get used to the virtual keyboard in preparation of BB 10. I'm lucky to get four hours out of the battery. very few apps. love the Playbook and my 9900, just wish battery life was better. Really gulps battery when bridged and not on wifi..
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is the problem. My BlackBerry Bold 9700 and 9780 connected to my BlackBerry PlayBook allows 1-3 days on a full charge @ 4-8 hours use each day and Airplane Mode enabled when not using the tablet or when only doing stuff local to the tablet (reading ebooks, reading/writing documents, listening to music or watching lectures). I use the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard quite a bit and the battery drain remains low enough that I can get a solid 8-12 hours use from the tablet even with WiFi enabled.
    wetuman likes this.
    01-20-13 09:51 AM
    Short answer...YES, Battery drain is a lot faster while bridging. As stated above there are methods to decrease battery drain...somewhat, but not much. I find myself keeping my Travel rapid charger on the PlayBook at all times
    wetuman likes this.
    01-20-13 10:29 AM