Evening guys,

had a playbook for a couple of months now and using it more and more; a colleague has just bought one and bridging to an 8900. Both of us have the same problem - if we try and download attachments using the bridge from our BlackBerries, we get an error message saying the file is to big. if we then use a webmail service we can easily open attachments...

Any idea how to fix this....?

Osh
    01-17-12 04:37 PM
    That is an issue with BIS, not the PlayBook. There is a limkt to the size of files a BB handhelp will handle. If the file is larger than that (I think it is 7mb, I may be wrong) then the device won't download it.

And Bridge is just a bigger screen, so it won't do what the handheld can't.
    01-17-12 05:15 PM
    That is an issue with BIS, not the PlayBook. There is a limkt to the size of files a BB handhelp will handle. If the file is larger than that (I think it is 7mb, I may be wrong) then the device won't download it.

And Bridge is just a bigger screen, so it won't do what the handheld can't.
    Good morning m8 and thanks for the reply - thing is though we are both using BES and not BIS...

Osh
    01-18-12 02:03 AM
    Good morning m8 and thanks for the reply - thing is though we are both using BES and not BIS...
    Your BES admin sets a maximum attachment size. It's still limited by RIM's infrastructure however.

What error do you get, if any, if you attempt to download the attachments on your phone rather than the PB? I once had strange errors that resulted from my Micro SD card not having enough free space to download the attachment. My phone told me this, but my PB over bridge just failed mysteriously.
    01-18-12 12:09 PM
    Hey Taylor - evening m8,

the error message that i get, every time, is "attachment is to large".

As two examples - today ive tried to email two files to myself from my PC;one was a Word dcument at just 34kb, the other was a .pdf at 104kb but, when i try and open them on my PB, i just get the error message. However, I can open both of the files on my 9900....

Taylor - which setting would our BES Administrator need to amend to make this work do you think...?? What do they need to set it to....??

On a separate thougt - I've read elsewhere that this might be an issue with the version of BES that we are running. I have emailed our BES Admin to ask for the exact version number but i suspect we are running v 4.1.0 or just slightly above; i understand the downlaods will ONLY work with 4.1.7 sp5 and above.

Anyone able to confirm this....??

Osh
    01-18-12 03:52 PM
    Not sure about your BES but can you send the files to a gmail etc. account and open them in the browser?
    01-18-12 04:32 PM
    if when you click the attachtment on your phone, u cant download it to your phone, then your BES admin will haveto upgrade their BES version.

I requested that mine upgrade our BES version,

Downloading attachments on the device memory can be disabled by setting the Maximum Native Attachment MTH attachment size IT policy to 0. Users can still open attachments, but they will not have the option to Download Attachment. This rule specifies the maximum size (in KB) of a single standard attachment that users can download on the BlackBerry® smartphone. The permitted range is 0 through 1048576 KB.

•Policy group: Email Messaging
    •Default setting: 10240 KB.
    •Usage: Set this IT policy rule to 0 to turn off the ability to download standard attachments on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    Ur admin will need to verify that this value is not set to zero, thereby disabling your ability to download attachements.

and mine works fine nowafter those changes were made.
    Last edited by yunvi; 01-18-12 at 05:20 PM.
    01-18-12 05:09 PM
    Hi Yunvi,

and thanks for the reply - I dont have any any problems with download and opening attachments on my 9900 (its superb!) the problems only occur when i try to open/download on the PB.

Osh
    01-19-12 07:13 AM
    Think i've got to the bottom of things this end:

I emailed a friend at RiM who sent me their PlayBook Support Line Number and called them this morning. In the meantime i did lots of Google searches on this issue and came acrossa thread about BES 4.1.4.xx stopping the PB from downlaoding/opening attachments.

Low and behold got this email through from the PlayBook Support Team:

Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for contacting BlackBerry PlayBook Support.

Here is a link to a relevant article in our BlackBerry Technical Solution Center:
    Article Title: Unable to download and open attachments on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet Article Number: KB27216
    Link: KB27216-Unable to download and open attachments on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

In short - we are running 4.1.4.15 with SP4 - to stop this issue from happening I need to get our BES Admin guys to doanload SP5 and all should be cleared up...

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue.

Osh
    01-19-12 07:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD