Hi all,

After running out and purchasing a new 16gb Playbook in anticipation of OS2 I'd been very impressed with my new device. Yesterday I updated it and fell even more in love with it. However, today I've hit what appears to be a major issue and I'm looking for some help!

I was using the Playbook earlier, with it connected to my Mac and the DM software running, when it simply shut down on its own accord. Now it refuses to boot up and the red LED flashes 5 times. One flash, a pause, then 4 flashes before repeating.

Naturally, I went on Google and looked up the issue. I've tried holding down the buttons to reset the device, plugging it into the Mac with DM running, charging it on the mains for a few hours and then trying to start it up and nothing is working. Does anyone have an idea what the issue might be or what the flashing LED sequence means? I've only had the thing for 48 hours and would love to get it turned back on!

Thanks in advance.
    02-22-12 06:15 PM
    Sounds like it might be out of juice, try plugging it into the outlet on your wall and let it charge a bit, I get that when the battery is about dead
    02-22-12 06:24 PM
    Sounds like it might be out of juice, try plugging it into the outlet on your wall and let it charge a bit, I get that when the battery is about dead
    Thanks for the tip. I've got it on charge now and will leave it charging overnight. The LED is off currently as I held the power button down for around 20 seconds. However, when it shut down there was approx 60% battery remaining.

Fingers crossed I can get it going again!
    02-22-12 06:26 PM
    If it keeps shutting down do a security and reinstall OS2. I had a similar issue and that is what has solved the problem.
    02-22-12 06:43 PM
    I have exactly the same problem, update to 2.0, the PlayBook just died, and went into perpetual blinking, the red LED will blink once, then 4 more time in rapid succession, and repeat the blinking cycle 3 seconds later.

I tried recharging the battery, connect to the PC, the three buttons reset, and nothing worked. I called BlackBerry Support, but they had to look up the issue, and I'm still waiting for the call back.

If you figure out how to fix the problem, please share!!!! Thanks!
    02-22-12 09:23 PM
    If it keeps shutting down do a security and reinstall OS2. I had a similar issue and that is what has solved the problem.
    How do you do a security and re-install OS2?
    02-22-12 09:24 PM
    I would take it back.
    After 2 days, you shouldn't be having issues.
    02-22-12 09:24 PM
    You could try debricking it, essentially wiping and reloading the os
    02-22-12 09:31 PM
    my pb had got bricked about 5 times when i was running OS 1.8. Have not seen any issues yet with OS 2.0

Whenever mine used to get bricked the only option left was using the DM. When you connect to the DM it will instantly show the error message with Update and Retry option. Click on update and it will take you through the download and setup process. One time i had to go through the whole process twice to get my PB boot up.

@kinmui: I would suggest that you use the DM 6.1 if you are on PC. You can only do the security wipe once your PB has booted up. The option is under Security setting.

@wozmon: Today the mac version for DM got updated. So, i would suggest you try the older version. The debricking process using DM should be same.
    02-22-12 09:38 PM
    @kinmui: I would suggest that you use the DM 6.1 if you are on PC. You can only do the security wipe once your PB has booted up. The option is under Security setting.
    Thanks BBCurveit, I tried using the DM, but DM and the PC is not seeing the playbook at all, I can't even security wipe. The PB is simply not doing anything but blinking...
    02-22-12 09:44 PM
    If you get stuck and your OS does not finish the update, and you have ruled out any wifi issues..

Make sure your Playbook has at least 20% battery, or better at 40%.
    Also make sure there is a wireless signal available for the finishing of the process.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update from the popup. It will take awhile.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 02-22-12 at 09:48 PM.
    02-22-12 09:46 PM
    Thanks BBCurveit, I tried using the DM, but DM and the PC is not seeing the playbook at all, I can't even security wipe. The PB is simply not doing anything but blinking...
    Hold the power button for about 10 - 20 secs. This will switch off your playbook. You wont see the red light blinking. Once thats done. connect it to PC and open the DM.

If that also doesnt work, disconnect the PB and switch it off. Remove the PB from your DM. You can do it by using forget device. Once thats done, connect the PB to PC.
    02-22-12 09:50 PM
    If you get stuck and your OS does not finish the update, and you have ruled out any wifi issues..

Also make sure there is a wireless signal available for the finishing of the process.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.

3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    Thanks for posting the detailed step..

I have not tried the debricking with DM 7.0 so not sure if that would work. i still suggest falling back to DM 6.1 to be sure
    Last edited by BBCurveit; 02-22-12 at 10:13 PM.
    02-22-12 09:53 PM
    Thanks for posting the detailed step..

I have not tried the debricking with DM 7.1 so not sure if that would work. i still suggest falling back to DM 6.1 to be sure
    Would you prefer that I delete my post?
    02-22-12 10:04 PM

To REBOOT:

Would you prefer that I delete my post?
    Your soultion is detailed and well put please leave it there..
    02-22-12 10:07 PM
    Thanks to everyone who have commented on my post.

Unfortunately I've woken this morning to find that an overnight charging with the mains charger has made no difference; still 5 flashes of the LED in the sequence mentioned earlier. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the DM software on my Mac but still have a dead Playbook.

I must confess to being a little bit annoyed with the thing now. I purchased it as it was cheaper than an iPad 2 and I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

Once again, thanks to all who posted. It's appreciated.
    02-23-12 01:43 AM
    Small update:

I took the Playbook back to the store I purchased it from. Whilst there I was told that this was the second unit returned with the issue I had, 5 red flashes of the LED and an unresponsive unit.

Unfortunately they had no more 16gb models in stock so I came away with a refund. I think I might wait until the 7th March to see what the new iPad 3 is like before considering my options.

Bit annoyed.
    02-23-12 10:51 AM
    I have the same issue with the one flash pause four flashes after my Playbook froze while updating.

Non of the resets work and the desktop software can't see the Playbook, so the de-bricking method doesn't work.

BB Customer service (after consulting with a 'senior analyst' at RIM) thinks it's a battery issue and is sending me a rapid charger.

Personally I think it's a fried logic board or something. I can't see how a software update could cause this, so I'm putting it down to coincidence Still quite annoying though!

Anyway, I'll report back when I get my charger and let folks know if it works (fingers crossed!)
    02-23-12 01:07 PM
    I have the same issue with the one flash pause four flashes after my Playbook froze while updating.

Non of the resets work and the desktop software can't see the Playbook, so the de-bricking method doesn't work.

BB Customer service (after consulting with a 'senior analyst' at RIM) thinks it's a battery issue and is sending me a rapid charger.

Personally I think it's a fried logic board or something. I can't see how a software update could cause this, so I'm putting it down to coincidence Still quite annoying though!

Anyway, I'll report back when I get my charger and let folks know if it works (fingers crossed!)
    @fdlowe: Please keep us updated! I tried all the tips the forum had suggested (thanks everyone), but still no luck. I'm calling BB support again, and will see what happens next...
    02-23-12 06:56 PM
    Sorry to see you go, just don't be too disappointed with how limited the ipad is...
    02-23-12 07:02 PM
    Small update:

Unfortunately they had no more 16gb models in stock so I came away with a refund. I think I might wait until the 7th March to see what the new iPad 3 is like before considering my options.

Bit annoyed.
    @wozmon: Sorry to hear you might give up on the PlayBook. I had mine for quite a while, and totally loved it. The iPad is a little to bulky for me to carry around, and it usually sits at home...
    02-23-12 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD