This is what RIM said a little while back:

"Text Messaging is now supported with BlackBerry Bridge. When Bridged you can read, send and receive text messages on your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.
    When Bridged, and connected to WiFi, the BlackBerry PlayBook automatically sends and receives data over the WiFi network to decrease cellular data usage, and increase performance."
    BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 change log leaks

This is what the change log says now:

"BlackBerry Bridge will now support viewing SMS messages on the PlayBook"

I do hope it is a complete product and not another "still coming" item.

Tim
    ^^^^^^This.
    randomkidsrule likes this.
    10-02-12 07:50 PM
    do people in america really use sms that much? in the netherlands we don't since we use bbm, whatsapp and viber a lot.

now bbm (we call it ping) is bridged, i actually want whatsapp to bridge.
    At least for me, BBM is useless. No one I know uses a BB phone for their personal phone. All Droids for the most part.

In fact I had BBM uninstalled for some time. Until 7.1 took that option away.

In the US texting is very widely used. I have unlimited texting on four phones. Only one is a BB, mine. We use texting to the max keeping in touch with the family.

WhatsApp is gaining ground. Many also use FaceBook.

Tim
    10-02-12 07:54 PM
    At least for me, BBM is useless. No one I know uses a BB phone for their personal phone. All Droids for the most part.

In fact I had BBM uninstalled for some time. Until 7.1 took that option away.

In the US texting is very widely used. I have unlimited texting on four phones. Only one is a BB, mine. We use texting to the max keeping in touch with the family.

WhatsApp is gaining ground. Many also use FaceBook.

Tim
    Cough*Twitter*Cough
    10-02-12 08:00 PM
    Do you mean a delay from the 3rd October date which is now doing the rumor rounds?
    No I mean this BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1.0.982 suggested to be arriving tomorrow along with BlackBerry Bridge 2.1 [Updated] | CrackBerry.com
    10-02-12 08:03 PM
    I'll believe it when my update indicator tells me it is there for download.
    10-02-12 08:08 PM
    That is what whatsapp is for. Sms is stupid. but it will still be nice to get the ocassional sms message on my playbook. I have whatsapp on my playbook, the android version. works well, but you cannot have two devices with the same account. I set up a second account and now I have a bunch of group chats with both devices as members of the chat.
    Does whatsapp not time out when it isn't the focus so it doesn't have to sign back in when you go back to it? Can add contacts from yahoo, win live etc?
    10-02-12 08:11 PM
    I hope the list isn't all that is in it.

How about improved browser performance, checkerboards, better java script performance, updated flash player, reduced pauses, reduced page load errors.

But let me guess none of that will come until next year months after the phones and BB10.
    10-02-12 08:20 PM
    Yawn...WGAS?

Seriously, I'll keep enjoying ALL my PB's until this pops up on them.
    10-02-12 08:22 PM
    I hope the list isn't all that is in it.

How about improved browser performance, checkerboards, better java script performance, updated flash player, reduced pauses, reduced page load errors.

But let me guess none of that will come until next year months after the phones and BB10.
    There was a hint at more from the dev blog back in May The other 2.1 features will come full steam when the new OS is commercially released. The 2.1 Android SDK will be released in beta coinciding with the OS release, and the 2.1 Native SDK will be posted next week, with an update to the Adobe� AIR� SDK to come shortly after
    randomkidsrule and kbz1960 like this.
    10-02-12 08:42 PM
    There was a hint at more from the dev blog back in May The other 2.1 features will come full steam when the new OS is commercially released. The 2.1 Android SDK will be released in beta coinciding with the OS release, and the 2.1 Native SDK will be posted next week, with an update to the Adobe� AIR� SDK to come shortly after
    Let me guess................... soon LOL
    BB_Bmore and randomkidsrule like this.
    10-02-12 08:44 PM
    Okay. I'm going to sleep now be up and fresh first thing tomorrow!
    10-02-12 08:50 PM
    Not playing this time but hey, you guys have fun.
    10-02-12 08:50 PM
    I don't see it happening, unless they are pushing the Bridge update really late or really early in the morning.
    10-02-12 08:53 PM
    I won't get excited till I see the rroyy Bridge for AT&T up on his site... THEN I'll do the *HappyDance*
    10-02-12 08:53 PM
    Good new to day
    10-02-12 08:55 PM
    Not playing this time but hey, you guys have fun.
    Yawn. I prefer my sleep. When I awake, naturally, I will see what's being said HERE. Then I will think about whatever has been said. Then I will think some more. Then I may upgrade the OS on the beta OS machine or not. But that's presupposing that Rim actually releases something - what a supposition.

Enjoy your rest, too.
    10-02-12 09:02 PM
    so if not for bridge, it doesn't seem a big deal/improvement. it doesn't say wifi connection/battery life and so on?

i probably will wait a few days until reviews in and make decision
    10-02-12 09:09 PM
    It will still include Flash support, or course?
    10-02-12 09:11 PM
    I expect that it is perfect with chinese....
    10-02-12 09:14 PM
    Well, I'm gonna get some shut eye and see what happens tomorrow!
    10-02-12 09:19 PM
    We might see it hit in Feb 2013 just in time for the launch of the new BB10 phone.
    10-02-12 09:22 PM
    We might see it hit in Feb 2013 just in time for the launch of the new BB10 phone.
    i have changed clock to Feb 29,2013
    10-02-12 09:26 PM
    i have changed clock to Feb 29,2013
    ha ha funny
    10-02-12 09:32 PM
    I don't see it happening, unless they are pushing the Bridge update really late or really early in the morning.
    I agree we should be seeing the Bridge update by now I'd think.
    10-02-12 09:48 PM
    Michael Clewley tweet just now: "Goodnight #playbook nation. We'll see you in the morning."

Yesssss!
    10-02-12 10:21 PM
229 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD