Got a brand new playbook wifi yesterday and connected my pb to wifi and started updating OS. Now the problem starts....
    My wifi broke down numerous times while updating OS so i decided to reset my router whuch in turn changed all its settings and internet stopped.
    Called up ISP and restored it somehow and now my PB is connected to wifi but isnt updating OS says 'check the settings'.

Im sure it is due to changed router settings and i want to delete saved wifi profile and setup a fresh one but since my playbook is without OS how do i do that? HELP ??
    09-10-12 06:46 AM
    Download the pb os via Desktop Mgr.

If DM can't see the PB then i suggest you try another wifi and not the one you're currently using.
    Last edited by Heavens1; 09-10-12 at 07:09 AM.
    09-10-12 07:06 AM
    Try this when using the DMgr option:

Originally Posted by F2
    If it stalls, you need to use the DEBRICK method which does involve using Desktop manager (DM).

Turn off the pb.

Run DM. Plug in the OFF pb.

There should be a prompt to UPDATE. It can disappear so watch for it. Use it.

You may still need wifi to finish the setup. So have wifi or find a good wifi place to sit for a while.

Good luck.
    09-10-12 07:19 AM
    Since wifi is running thick and fast on other devices, i have downloaded connectify which will make my notebook as wifi hotspot and then will try to update OS, I believe that should work, what say?
    09-10-12 07:27 AM
    Give it a go - and let us know if it works.
    09-10-12 07:33 AM
    Maybe could have just deleted the saved network and then re add it.
    09-10-12 07:38 AM
    The OS isn't loaded.
    09-10-12 07:41 AM
    Mr. KBZ pls let me know how to delete saved wifi profile from playbook which is without OS? i ll be glad if you answer it?
    09-10-12 07:42 AM
    Isn't loaded or is waiting to be updated?
    09-10-12 07:43 AM
    Sorry didn't realize you have no OS I assumed it would still be asking for a connection to update.
    09-10-12 07:45 AM
    Mr. KBZ pls let me know how to delete saved wifi profile from playbook which is without OS? i ll be glad if you answer it?
    At this point your only course of action is the 'debrick' method which in and of itself is relatively easy.

0. Check for any service pack and security updates for Microsoft Windows XP. Apply all updates including Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3).
    1. Download BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    2. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    3. Launch BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    4. After ensuring the BlackBerry PlayBook is not powered-on plug it into the desktop or notebook computer via the provided USB cable.
    5. On the desktop or notebook computer screen there will briefly appear a prompt to Retry, Cancel, or Upgrade/Update. Select the Upgrade/Update option. If the prompt disappears before you make a selection, unplug the USB cable, wait 10 seconds and plug the cable into the desktop or notebook computer again.
    6. The latest official BlackBerry Tablet OS will be downloaded to your desktop or notebook computer and afterwards installed on the BlackBerry PlayBook.

After installation the BlackBerry PlayBook will likely reboot and then present you with the initial set-up wizard.
    09-10-12 08:15 AM
    Well Mr. BB9700CA i just read ur reply but i did sort my issue with the PB last nite with the same resoluton as you have suggested. But had i read your comment earlier i would have had less troubled time. Did posted my problem to numerous BB blogging sites, some said its tech glitch get it replaced and some said issue is with update server wait for sometime (which infact sounded more logical to me) as even after changing wifi location PB wasn't picking OS update.

So it was one more day going to end and i was sitting with nude PB and then i tried to update PB OS via DM. As when i put it to update it was already 2330hrs so plugged it in, few if and buts, but update started which was enough for me to go to bed with the feeling that by the time i ll get up my playbook will be hot n burning( pls do not go by dictionary). And since an avid BB fan, all nite i was just tracking from bed how much its done and pending. Real drama happened when internet went down (or something else happened) in the nite and it stopped with error saying retry or cancel. It was around 4 am and i kind of in fast asleep dint read what was the notification all about and clicked retry (mind you by that time it was only 40% done) and took a deep sigh when update started again. So it was by 6 in the morning i saw DM flashing kindly unplug the device and OS installed successfully.

So it was like, bought the playbook on sunday eve, wifi issues happened same nite, monday whole day at office and rest of the eve spent in searching for solution to the issue and after spending all nite and updating OS via DM i could really practically getting my hands-on playbook only on Tuesday morning.
    And to add salt to the burns, used it for a while in the morning and came to office (writing this exp from office) and i'm still waiting to get proper hands-on playbook which will only happen this eve after i leave for home.

Had a crave for playbook from the launch but couldnt buy it due to xyz reasons and when i bought it, it sucked all of me to actually able to win it.

Even after all this, Love for BB increases more and more and manifold.
    09-11-12 03:37 AM
    My first PB took a couple of attempts to get through the initial set up and full OS update.....the second,a much later build date was up and running in a few minutes with no stalling at all on the initial set up.

One thing i did discover is the Playbooks did not like WEP security,they were connected ok but seemed to stall especially with catch up tv etc,changed router security to WPA2 and they now work better than ever.
    09-11-12 03:55 AM
    I didnt notice WEP and WPA2 thing. But nevertheless its working all good on WEP as of now. but what are drawbacks of using WEP security?
    09-11-12 05:05 AM
    I didnt notice WEP and WPA2 thing. But nevertheless its working all good on WEP as of now. but what are drawbacks of using WEP security?
    WEP is old thats all......WPA/WPA2 are the norm these days......WEP is ok if it works for you though,its better than nothing.....depends on how secure you want to be,if i was doing banking etc i would be using the most up to date security.

Heres a quick run down......
    Wireless Internet access has become the norm in most houses in the US these days, everyone has a wireless router, but what most people don’t know is keeping this router secure, what data encryption should you use? WEP or WPA? What is the difference? WEP (wired Equivalent Privacy) is the older form of encryption developed around 1999 to secure wireless Access Points, but when some weaknesses were found on this type of encryption WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) was adopted in 2003 along with the full IEEE 802.11 security standard dubbed (WPA2) which was adopted in 2004.

WPA is better than WEP; WPA uses the TKIP (Temporal Integrity Protocol) which changes key automatically. WPA2 is built on WPA adding an encryption algorithm named CCMP (Counter Mode with Cipher Block Chaining Message authentication Code Protocol) which is supposedly be really secure. All Wireless Routers built today requires WPA2 encryption support.

I would recommend everyone using WPA encryption whenever they can, the problem with all these different type of encryptions is that they are not compatible with each other so, if need to hook up multiple devices to the wireless access point and some of them don’t support WPA they won’t be able to connect, so make sure your devices are compatible with the latest wireless encryption, if they are not, use the one all the devices support, or if you have the money upgrade the ones that are not compatible.
    Last edited by Broxster; 09-11-12 at 08:11 AM.
    Heavens1 likes this.
    09-11-12 08:06 AM