My current country: UK
    PlayBook software version: 2.1.0.1917

Just got a brand new 32GB LTE PlayBook off eBay but the mobile network is not working. With no WiFi in the area, it's essential to have internet access through the mobile networks.

The device shows this error message:
    Brand new PlayBook shows error message...-img_00000001.png

The device looked 'new' and had its factory protective screen shields still on and untouched. It contained a US charging plug with an adapter to UK plug. The PlayBook has an AT&T logo printed on the back below the BlackBerry logo.

I'm thinking that this PlayBook is an AT&T locked device and NOT unlocked as the seller claimed, but is there a possibility that it's been stolen (IMEI blocked)? Either ways the seller had better sort this out because this tablet is currently useless to me!

As a side question, how do you find out the IMEI number on the LTE PlayBooks? The box did not have an IMEI number on it, I can't find it in the OS, under the SIM card tray or even if I plug it into BlackBerry Desktop Software it's still not displayed.

I will probably end up returning this device as 'Item not as described' or 'Item is unusable' through eBay's resolution centre but in the meantime, does anyone know exactly what the MM#6 error means?
    And also does anybody know how to find the IMEI number?

Many thanks guys.
    06-21-14 02:09 PM
    I would return it

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-21-14 02:20 PM
    I would return it
    You're right, if it was network locked, it would ask for an unlock code right?
    I guess I've been duped, will contact seller for a return and send it off.

Do you know how to find out the IMEI number on a PlayBook?
    06-21-14 02:43 PM
    Return it!! Not worth the effort to solve the problem!!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-21-14 02:58 PM
    It's been blacklisted. That likely means it was stolen.

The MM#6 error means it has been blacklisted. The same error message came up on a stolen Z30 that I unknowingly bought.

Return it now if you can.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-14 02:59 PM
    My first clue was it wasn't on the box, yet it should be. Seller trying to hide something. Very obvious

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-21-14 03:05 PM
    AT&T logo? You have your hands on unreleased hardware, no wonder it was reported as stolen.

Posted via CB10
    kadthekid likes this.
    06-21-14 03:12 PM
    AT&T logo? You have your hands on unreleased hardware, no wonder it was reported as stolen.
    Brand new PlayBook shows error message...-img_20140621_235404.jpg
    I'm pretty sure that's the AT&T logo...

Anyway something weird has happened today, I tried my mother's TalkMobile (MVNO of Vodafone UK) microSIM in the device and it successfully connected to a mobile data 3G network. Browsing also worked over the 3G network. My mother's microSIM card is NOT a mobile broadband plan, just a standard pay monthly phone plan with 750MB of data.
    Brand new PlayBook shows error message...-img_00000003.png
    But as soon as I put my Three UK mobile broadband microSIM back in, I get that same problem as described in the first post.
    This proves that the device is unlocked, but doesn't explain why it won't work on my network. If it was in fact stolen, it theoretically would be blocked on Vodafone, and in turn, TalkMobile.

The seller responded:
    Brand new PlayBook shows error message...-untitled-1.fw.png
    I've updated to the latest software (was the first thing I did on the tablet) and wiped it to factory settings but it still isn't working. Regardless whether it's unreleased hardware or not is irrelevant because it works on other networks. I'm going to contact the seller regarding the absence of the IMEI number though.

Just in case anybody's wondering, here is a link to the product on eBay and the seller.

Anybody know anything else I can try before I arrange a return with the seller?
    06-22-14 11:48 AM
    It does not look fishy to me. Try calling your carrier and ask.
    Have you looked in Setting/options menu for the EMEI?
    I have put my device away some time ago, but as far as I remember you can find it.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:29 PM
    This guy also bought the same PlayBook from the same seller...
    Dear Bertie Bear, all,

I bought one of these LTE PlayBooks from this eBay seller, and have been very pleased with it. It's brand new and here's what I've found regarding the data networks:

EE, T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone, TalkTalk and O2 SIMs work fine, but when I put a Three SIM in it states "the phone is locked for this network". The PlayBook will not register on the Three network, no matter what I do (MM#6 error). This is also true of the virtual operators that piggyback on the Three network (e.g. GlobalGig / Mobidata).

I am now using it on PAYG T-Mobile UK - unlimited browsing and generous download limit, but *no VOIP allowed* (though I haven't tried video chat on PB TBH). The T-Mob Internet can be purchased for �20GBP for 6 months on their PAYG tarrif - just top-up, put the SIM in a mobile phone and text 6MONTHWEB to 441. Fast speeds 3g (4g LTE not compatible here in UK), and good coverage so far. In fact, I'm replying to this post on my LTE PlayBook. Can highly recommend!

Best wishes,

TLUK
    Maybe PlayBooks just are not compatible with the Three network. Time to find a new network!
    It does not look fishy to me. Try calling your carrier and ask.
    Have you looked in Setting/options menu for the EMEI?
    I have put my device away some time ago, but as far as I remember you can find it.
    Thanks for trying, it's not listed in the settings menu.

The area under the SIM card tray where the IMEI number should be...
    Brand new PlayBook shows error message...-imeipb4g.png
    ... is blank on mine.
    Does anybody think it's still worth returning due to the lack of an IMEI number?
    06-22-14 01:32 PM
    My sincere advice: Return it to the same seller! He sold it, he retakes it. But you only have some days or returning the device. For some it's only a week, for others 15 days, Amazon 30 days... Be aware of that! Check out returning conditions today!
    Only try to get a solution if you've stucked with the device!

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    06-23-14 06:03 AM
    I made an account just to tell you that your PB is just fine. You don't need to sell it.(if it's not already too late) PB only works with 4G 'enabled' sim. I live in India and face the same problem. The other sim cards work because they are ready for 4G. Your network isn't. So, ask your service provider for a 4G enabled sim or swtich network.YOU CAN USE YOUR 3G DATA ON 4G SIM.
    08-09-14 06:31 AM
    The OP already stated his PB worked with a different SIM, for those saying to return it, your wrong. The device is working. Since the error occurs when he places his SIM in the device the issue is service related, not device related.

OP, contact your carrier and ask them if there are any data blocks on your service.

MM#6 just means the SIM is not authorised to access the network. Same message is displayed when you report your device lost and stolen and the carrier sends out a PRE Activated SIM card. Until the block is removed from the service it is blocked.
    08-09-14 09:10 AM
    Keep calm and carry on with your new PlayBook!!!

There is nothing wrong with the PlayBook, just the sim you have been trying from three UK. Over a hundred have been sold here in the UK by that reputable seller and work fine (As shown on my Channel PBUK), you just have to have the correct sim. I have a 4g/3g Micro sim from EE. Signal is great and speed snappy for 3g with a 1.5 GHz processor helping
    ...enjoy! For 86 pound including postage and packing you have a brand new 4g LTE bargain!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    Last edited by PlayBook UK; 08-09-14 at 10:39 AM.
    08-09-14 10:22 AM