I bought A Black berry play book brand new from pc world. It was delivered this morning. The blackberry play book was very cold when I opened the box it felt almost like ice. I left the play book most of the day to warm up. Half an hour ago I took it all out of the box and plugged it in to charge. I have just tried to switch it on but it won't boot up. The screen switches on and I get a black screen with white writing that says black berry play book, after a few minutes coloured circles appear and move around on screen. It then stays on this screen and won't do any thing. I have tried switching it off and then on again but nothing. I have tried pressing both volume buttons and pressing power button to do a full reboot ( restart) But it makes no difference it still comes back to same screen and stays there. Am I doing some thing wrong, has the cold destroyed it, does it need to charge for longer. Or have I just got a faulty device. Should I take it back to shop. Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks in advance
    02-07-12 11:42 AM
    it needs to have more than 20% battery before it can do the first update and get setup
    02-07-12 11:47 AM
    If it were me I would return it or take advantage of your 90 day free tech support.
    You could try to charge it a bit but I don't know if that will help. With the PB off and charging the led should flash a greenish color. When it's done it will be a steady light.
    02-07-12 12:02 PM
    How long to you wait have this:The screen switches on and I get a black screen with white writing that says black berry play book, after a few minutes coloured circles appear and move around on screen.
    Wait a couple of minutes more before playing with the power button.
    02-07-12 12:07 PM
    Leave it on charge for 2-3 hours.

If it still fails to being the initialization process download Desktop Manager and install it on your pc. Then try

Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    02-07-12 12:14 PM
    Don't get discouraged.

This happens it Apple products too.
    02-07-12 12:18 PM
    Hi thanks for your replys so far. When the play book is switched off and I plug in charger in I get no LED Light. It just switches screen on and I get what I said above. If I press and hold the volume buttons and the power button the play book switches off and I get a red led light that goes off after a few seconds then it switches on again. Once it gets to the screen where it says blackberry playbook and coloured circles move around I have left it for 15 -20 minutes and the screen does not change.
    02-07-12 12:21 PM
    Hi thanks for your replys so far. When the play book is switched off and I plug in charger in I get no LED Light. It just switches screen on and I get what I said above. If I press and hold the volume buttons and the power button the play book switches off and I get a red led light that goes off after a few seconds then it switches on again. Once it gets to the screen where it says blackberry playbook and coloured circles move around I have left it for 15 -20 minutes and the screen does not change.
    Get a replacement.

Who knows what happens, but please stay with the Playbook . This happens from time to time.
    02-07-12 12:26 PM
    Everything sounds normal until you say the colored circles for 15 minutes. That should only last a minute or so.
    Try what F2 suggested or call RIM or return it. RIM may have you do the de-brick method so if you want to fiddle with it give it try before calling.
    Something is not quite right with your machine.
    02-07-12 12:33 PM
    Answer me this question OP...

When you buy a new can opener and it does not function as you expect at first use do you immediately assume the can opener is defective and you need to post on a forum about the product? Okay, posting here was the first good idea you had since the decision to buy a BlackBerry PlayBook. Yeah, I am being just a bit flippant with you and mean no offense. I experienced the same situation as the OP a few months ago when my BlackBerry PlayBook discharged to the point of automatic shutdown, and the only way to recharge the tablet was using the wall charger and waiting 2-3 hours; yep I saw the same "BlackBerry PlayBook" text followed by the screen of circles until the battery recharge reached a certain percentage.

You WILL enjoy the tablet and if paired with a BlackBerry smartphone you might even start wondering how you got along without this under appreciated tablet from Research In Motion.
    02-07-12 01:37 PM
    I opened the desktop software and connected the play book to my computer. I already had the desktop software as I have a blackberry curve phone. When I connected it to computer first time it said device not recognised. I unplugged it and re plugged in to computer again and this time the computer installed some drivers. The black berry desktop software said device unknown. It then said device battery could be flat (which I doubt as the playbook has been plugged in charging for about 2 hours now). or device could be rebooting ( which it wasn't). It then said to either Wait or see if there are any updates that might fix problem. I clicked update and it showed a screen on my computer that says searching for updates. It has been stuck on this screen saying searching for updates for nearly 20 minutes now is this normal, should I wait longer. How long should it take before it finds updates. thanks again for all your help so far.
    02-07-12 01:40 PM
    Give it another try.
    Restart your computer first.
    Make sure the PB is turned off.
    Start desktop manager.
    Plug it into the USB and hit the power button. You will get a pop-up with an option to update. The pop-up doesn't stay long.
    02-07-12 01:46 PM
    One more comment. A brief press of the Power Button can place the pb in standby. So hold it for about 4 or 5 seconds. Then try the debrick again.

But it might just be bad.

Oh, how are you charging it? The usb does not provide much power if the pb is on. So use the ac adapter.
    02-07-12 02:46 PM
    This happened to me on Saturday new Playbook... I left it plugged in for 2 hours and nothing. I read a few posts on here and you need to launch the DM and get it to update. The next thing is you need to see the green led on the front pulsating very slow when plugged in this means your battery is charging. If you don't see this you will need to charge for 2 minutes pull out the charger for a minute then repeat a bunch of times. Once you get the green slow pulse be patient and leave it for an hour or so then try to power up. Hope this helps as I know how frustrated you are probably getting.
    02-07-12 04:03 PM
    I have owned a PB since launch day and have never had this problem, I have also never had a green pulsing light when charging.....not sure about that one.
    02-09-12 02:51 PM
    No, no light when charging. Mine was also freezing cold when it arrived.

It clearly tells you in the pack to:

1 Make sure you are in an area with Wi Fi coverage
    2 Press the Power button
    3 Follow the steps on the screen

I just plugged in the USB/AC power adaptor, followed the instructions on the screen and left to update....

If you cannot get it to work using any of the advice in this thread, check out the PC World Returns Policy and follow it!
    Last edited by Bluemoonjules; 02-09-12 at 03:15 PM.
    02-09-12 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD