Brand New NOS (New Old Stock - NIB, Never powered on)
    OS v 1.0.0.1439:, with a production date of 01-06-11 (2011-06-01)
    Threads I've read so far are about DEAD PlayBooks. My problem is slightly different.

Would appreciate some advice. (Last week I read thru the various threads on "dead" PlayBooks after being discharged too low. I've read thru the info on the RIM/BlackBerry site that says on early units, if the battery is discharged too far the charging circuit won't work.)
    Have on hand several Rapid Charger Pods, along with charge units shipped with. Got 3 PB's tonight, (1) with a production date about a month newer than the one I picked up last week and the units I picked up today.
    (One with the month newer product date seems to have charged normally. Green Light is on Solid)

What the OS v 1.0.0.1439:, with a production date of 01-06-11 (2011-06-01) unit(s) are doing.
    Upon siting a totally powered down unit in the Rapid Charger Pod, or connecting to charger provided with PB:

1: (1-2) second delay, then RED charging light comes on for 5-8 secs.
    2: Screen goes black for approximately 10 seconds, then PB starts to BOOT, it progresses thru the screens that show the multi color bubbles, then goes to first setup screen that says "Welcome", it saying "You'll begin by connecting to a Wi-Fi network, "Swipe to continue".
    (Actually on one unit , I by accident "swiped".... "Swiped to continue" , 2nd page says Wi-Fi.

As I want to root the unit want to proceed thru the setup Wi-Fi connection, the only active link is the gearcog, lower left side of page which rolls over to "Diagnostic" page that shows firmware /hardware info.

So, unit is booted to the Wi-Fi /Diagnostic screen. It will sit there until display times out. Powering OFF (Shutdown) unit will power unit down.

Upon removing power and reapplying- Process repeats.. Red-light 5-8 secs, NO YELLOW FLASHING LIGHT indicating unit is charging, unit boots.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-21-12 at 05:04 AM.
    11-21-12 03:25 AM
    Umm.. I didn't get the problem in it..
    Is it supposed to Flash a green light? I've never seen one..
    11-21-12 03:55 AM
    Umm.. I didn't get the problem in it..
    Is it supposed to Flash a green light? I've never seen one..

Yellow light, typo. Corrected. Also note I viewing the light from a off center position and these units are new to me. I'm in a rush to get some things done before handing over unit(s) to various family members- My plan to root, those units that fail the rooting process give to family members who want a stock setup.

Re-reading BlackBerry page on issue, Guess the units are charging, but can't tell as I'm not booted into the OS.
    (Was wanting to fully charge them before rooting, can't fully boot as they are set-up to auto-update out of the box. Can't check for stuck pixels until you register the unit, update the OS.)

I guess this applies as the two units are running OS v 1.0.0.1439:, with a production date of 01-06-11 (2011-06-01)

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life

Prior to BlackBerry Tablet OS 1.0.5:

A BlackBerry PlayBook will never charge while powered off in BlackBerry Tablet OS versions prior to 1.0.5.
    The device will show a red light when the charger is connected and then nothing more
    Repeated connection of the charger can recover the device in some instances.
    Once the battery voltage rises above 3.53V the system will boot and the UI will show charging

Starting in BlackBerry Tablet OS 1.0.5:

The device will show a solid red LED, followed by a solid yellow LED as the device boots into charging mode. This is followed by a yellow pulsating LED indicating charging in progress.
    The time span between the red and yellow lights can be as long as 45 seconds as the device boots into charging mode.
    Once the yellow LED illuminates, the device can be started, but it is advisable to let it charge for at least 3.5 hours to achieve a sufficient charge.
    The device will show a solid green LED once the device is fully charged.

Starting in BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0.1:

Once the yellow LED begins pulsating indicating charging mode, if the BlackBerry PlayBook is disconnected from the charger, the following graphic will be displayed on the screen, indicating charging is not complete, and to reconnect the power source. The graphic will be displayed for 20 seconds before the BlackBerry PlayBook powers off if the power source is not reconnected. The same graphic will also be displayed if the BlackBerry PlayBook is turned on and there is not sufficient power to perform the boot process.

I guess this is why unit #4, with a production date of 21-12-11 (2011-12-21) , having OS v 1.0.7.2670 had a Yellow light indicating unit was charging, a solid Green light when fully charged- hence my confusion.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-21-12 at 05:06 AM.
    11-21-12 04:40 AM