Well done! I posted in your other thread ...
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    12-22-11 10:48 PM
    my Torch 9850. I personally don't like to be bothered with the weight of a slide out keyboard.
    12-22-11 10:55 PM
    Well. I finally made the decision and bought a Torch 9810. I do find the keyboard a bit of a compromise when compared to the 9900 but on its own its great, not amazing but very, very good. But what sold me on the 9810 vs 9900 is the bigger screen and the better camera. The camera is a smaller point but it is one, the real issue was the screen.
    If it was up to me I'd be making the same decision as you for an upgrade from my Curve 8330. One question I have is, does it bother you to have to slide the screen in order to access the keyboard yet? I know I have always enjoyed having the keyboard exposed on my phones, dating back to all the Treos I've owned.

Also, can you lock the screen so that it does not auto-rotate? Or does it even auto rotate at all?
    12-23-11 07:54 AM
    If it was up to me I'd be making the same decision as you for an upgrade from my Curve 8330. One question I have is, does it bother you to have to slide the screen in order to access the keyboard yet? I know I have always enjoyed having the keyboard exposed on my phones, dating back to all the Treos I've owned.

Also, can you lock the screen so that it does not auto-rotate? Or does it even auto rotate at all?
    i love the slider. i have the app slide lock pro, 0.99 in app store. this way the slide is the lock as well as having the slide lock on screen as well. i love being able to slide and unlock when i know the keyboard is going to be needed but i can also screen slide unlock when its a quick tap thing i am doing, weather lookup or whatever. then either tap top lock button or slide keypad away and im good to go

not sure about screen lock, ill have to check it out. but the 9810 is nothing like an ios device, it doesnt rotate till u have held it for a quick second. much better and it never get in the way rotating when i didnt mean to.

all in all, if you value the touch screen aspect of your mobile device but need a real BB keyboard the 9810 is amazing. dont wait, just go get one. with BB10 almost a year away theres no reason to wait.
    12-23-11 01:43 PM
    The 9900/9930 may be your best bet.
    12-23-11 08:31 PM
    ...dont wait, just go get one. with BB10 almost a year away theres no reason to wait.
    Actually I do have a reason, good and bad. I'm grandfathered to old contract. The minute I upgrade phones, even to new carrier to get the same features such as navigation, I'll be adding a good 15$ - $25 extra per month - PLUS what my wife would have to pay extra for a single plan (our plan is currently shared). Her contract is up in 2013.

I gotta ride this Curve 8330 til it croaks!!

Then I have a Pearl 8130 put away, which I like a lot too, just in case this one dies. I take pride in not succumbing to the prices carriers are asking for these days. Until I added BB data pack recently, for two phones the bill rarely went over $67
    12-23-11 08:56 PM
    I'm in the same boat as OP accept I'm already a BB user (came from a samsung) I'm toen between the keyboard of the 9900 and the multimedia experience of the 9860. Tough call.
    12-23-11 10:36 PM
    I'm in the same boat as OP accept I'm already a BB user (came from a samsung) I'm toen between the keyboard of the 9900 and the multimedia experience of the 9860. Tough call.
    I couldn't stand the 9860. Poor messaging phone in every way. OK with media and other on screen stuff but every time I had to type out something I could be heard screaming for miles. I as well like some multimedia in my phone so it was the 9810. Took a few weeks to decide, lots of keyboard play and screen testing. Its all so personal, its hard to give advice.
    12-23-11 11:51 PM
    I'm almost ready for a new phone now, Sprint bill will only grow $20 extra per month for upgrade. 9930/9810 are only options if I'm sticking with BB. Motorola Razr is distant third choice.

From the clerk at Verizon, and Sprint even, the battery drain on the 9930 is not so good. So how's the battery on the 9810?
    12-24-11 06:16 PM
    I'm almost ready for a new phone now, Sprint bill will only grow $20 extra per month for upgrade. 9930/9810 are only options if I'm sticking with BB. Motorola Razr is distant third choice.

From the clerk at Verizon, and Sprint even, the battery drain on the 9930 is not so good. So how's the battery on the 9810?
    i easily get a full day with hard use, constant bridge, voice, data and all. no worries.
    12-24-11 06:36 PM
    one day?!? My 8330 goes at least 2 days... but there's no wifi either.

OK I see the problem... My expectations need to change I guess.
    I hated Android because I saw they were power drainers, and I'm thinking of upgrading my 8330 to new BB, but I keep hearing they're power hungry as well. I added data to my 8330 and I do Bridge quite a bit with it - before data my phone would last close to a week, after adding the data I can get between 2 to 3 days. Heavy use would put me closer to 1.5 - 2 days.

Thanks for the responses btw I've almost convinced my wife to add $20/mo to our cell bill.

On a side note, the clerk at Verizon showed me his SpeedTest results for his Razr, OMG!! Close to 20 on 4G, and 3G was at 6. something! I don't think I will get that with Sprint, but an upgrade to 9930/9810 would still be welcomed on either carrier
    12-24-11 06:48 PM
    Cleveland:

That razor whatever is so thin I can't imagine it has any battery life whatsoever!
    12-25-11 12:42 AM
    I like the idea of pairing a phone that has a real qwerty keyboard with the all touch PlayBook. Best of both. Also on os 2 there is supposed to be a feature where your phone's keyboard can be used to input text to the PlayBook. Seems nice.

But if you really like virtual keyboards the Torch 9850/9860 are supposed to be excellent too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-25-11 01:19 AM
    Cleveland:

That razor whatever is so thin I can't imagine it has any battery life whatsoever!
    I thought the same, but from the guy in the store he mentioned that the battery is a new design exclusive to the razr, sporting 1800mAh still.

He also pointed out Bold 9930 is only 1200mAh

yeah we had a long talk, turns out he's a DJ too. That's when he showed me the SpeedTest results on the Verizon network. I was astonished. I could use that when at gigs and need to whip up a song I don't keep in my collection. I can either search beemp3 or my Windows Home Server for the rest of my MP3s I have archived
    12-25-11 02:07 AM
    I love my 9930, but I would have went with the 9900 had I known more about it at the time. BTW I am not even sure the 9900 is available through VZW. The 9900 and 9930 are identical except for something with the GPS that does not matter to me any ways, that I why I do not know fully what it is.
    12-25-11 07:28 AM
    I thought the same, but from the guy in the store he mentioned that the battery is a new design exclusive to the razr, sporting 1800mAh still.

He also pointed out Bold 9930 is only 1200mAh

yeah we had a long talk, turns out he's a DJ too. That's when he showed me the SpeedTest results on the Verizon network. I was astonished. I could use that when at gigs and need to whip up a song I don't keep in my collection. I can either search beemp3 or my Windows Home Server for the rest of my MP3s I have archived
    That is interesting. I always hear that Androids are power hogs. Maybe they need that powerful battery just to get normal use. But while it looks like a nice device, I really do prefer real, even if small keyboards. But I also admit that I'm a tad bit jealous of some of the apps I've seen friends run on their Android devices. My devices are purely personal and I don't use or need them for business.
    12-25-11 10:13 AM
    I love my 9930, but I would have went with the 9900 had I known more about it at the time. BTW I am not even sure the 9900 is available through VZW. The 9900 and 9930 are identical except for something with the GPS that does not matter to me any ways, that I why I do not know fully what it is.
    The 9900 and 9930 are very similar - form factor identical, I believe. But the 9900 is NOT available from Verizon - it is a gsm (not gps) device for use on AT&T's protocol (and other carriers) while the 9930 uses Verizon's cdma protocol (and also has a sim card to use gsm in, say, Europe).

I'm still running a Bold/9650 but keep looking at the 9930. Waiting for another price drop.....
    12-25-11 10:16 AM
    The 9900 and 9930 are very similar - form factor identical, I believe. But the 9900 is NOT available from Verizon - it is a gsm (not gps) device for use on AT&T's protocol (and other carriers) while the 9930 uses Verizon's cdma protocol (and also has a sim card to use gsm in, say, Europe).

I'm still running a Bold/9650 but keep looking at the 9930. Waiting for another price drop.....
    The difference is Assisted GPS RIM BlackBerry Bold 9930 vs BlackBerry Bold 9900
    12-25-11 11:24 AM
    That is interesting. I always hear that Androids are power hogs. Maybe they need that powerful battery just to get normal use. But while it looks like a nice device, I really do prefer real, even if small keyboards. But I also admit that I'm a tad bit jealous of some of the apps I've seen friends run on their Android devices. My devices are purely personal and I don't use or need them for business.
    jealous, yes, but solid phone is what I've always wanted and I got that from BlackBerry

However the clerk showed me the speed in which he was able to switch apps, search, download songs and apps, and it makes my cable modem seem like dialup. It makes my Samsung Galaxy 5.0 feel like it was the slowest device ever.

Here's the kicker though... I went to three stores yesterday and asked for them to show me their available Blackberry phones, and each of their immediate responses was "Why?" That is NOT a good look for Blackberry. I was able to convince the third one why BB over Android or iOS because I told him that the those other OSs are tinker-friendly. Very counterproductive when you stay up some nights looking for new apps, updated apps, and replacement apps, and every other tweak. He understood me then.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-25-11 06:45 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD