Another vote for the Bold 9900, but you can't go wrong with the other suggestions as well. It's a matter of preference.

mokeiko
    11-28-11 07:06 PM
    The Torch II Playbook combo is a great option. Physical keyboard... still has a decent sized display and a good processor. I rock this combo all the time. Three things always with me:

Torch II
    Playbook
    Steyr M40-a1
    BERaddict likes this.
    11-28-11 08:02 PM
    first off, thanks everyone. i got it down to the new slider torch or the 9900. although i am leaning to the 9900. there are a few times i have missed the bigger screen since switching but it has only happened if i dont have the playbook with me, 2-3 times tops. i think it will come down to the keyboard. ill be trying them out tomorrow. im so excited.
    11-28-11 09:44 PM
    I wouldn't say they are "Cheaper" keyboard, they are DIFFERENT Keyboards, It's like the difference between a Dell laptop and a Sony laptop keyboard, one is no space, one is chicklet.
    They are definitely cheaper in that they are cheaper for RIM to manufacture. That's why they're on the Curve line. Sure some people prefer them, but they're definitely not as engineered for comfort of typing.

First question is are you loyal to a specific carrier? Then what are the devices that carrier has.
    All the major Canadian carriers carry the same devices (all of them, GSM/UMTS versions).

I tell you what, if that Porsche Design Blackberry or the BBX ever become a reality, then I'm losing the iPhone ricky tick! Those two phone designs are so over the top.
    The Porsche Design BlackBerry is a reality, it was launched a few weeks ago. See: RIM unveils the Porsche Design BlackBerry P9981 in Dubai | CrackBerry.com .
    11-28-11 10:51 PM
    My vote is the Bold 9900. I have used the original 9800 torch for 6 months or so before moving the bold 9900.

The keyboard on the 9900 is just simply amazing. It is a pure joy to type on. The torch 9810 keyboard is good, but it cannot compare the 9900. Not even close. Constantly using the torch slider every time I wanted to use the physical keyboard was getting to me.

The bold 9900 screen is awesome but smaller so there is a bit of an adjustment for sure. But I love this form factor and having a combination of 3 different inputs readily available (keyboard, touch screen, trackpad) to efficiently access different functions on the device.

Having a playbook definitely helps when you need extra screen size. The playbook bridged to my phone makes me feel like I don't really need a phone with a larger screen. For me, having a larger screen is not worth sacrificing the keyboard for; however, if you're willing to compromise to get a little bit of both the torch 9810 is a great solution. Both phones have a lot of happy owners. Have fun tomorrow and good luck!
    crackd11 likes this.
    11-28-11 11:34 PM
    Having a playbook definitely helps when you need extra screen size. The playbook bridged to my phone makes me feel like I don't really need a phone with a larger screen. For me, having a larger screen is not worth sacrificing the keyboard for

king benny, i think you nailed it. im still going in with an open mind but it seams to me a person with a playbook would be selling the blackberry experience short to not have it paired with a 9900.

also to address the carrier issue, true all major canadian carriers use chip phones now but in this day and age of unlock codes for $0.99. carrier is no longer an issue.
    11-29-11 12:58 AM
    Best Keyboard (9900) vs Camera/Screensize (9950/9860) vs a little of everything (9810).
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-29-11 02:59 AM
    They are definitely cheaper in that they are cheaper for RIM to manufacture. That's why they're on the Curve line. Sure some people prefer them, but they're definitely not as engineered for comfort of typing.

All the major Canadian carriers carry the same devices (all of them, GSM/UMTS versions).

The Porsche Design BlackBerry is a reality, it was launched a few weeks ago. See: RIM unveils the Porsche Design BlackBerry P9981 in Dubai | CrackBerry.com .
    Reality like in available right now to the rest of us without a zip code in the middle of the Rub' Al Khali Desert.
    11-29-11 06:07 AM
    Screen size and camera of the phone are irrelevant to the choice when paired with the PB. Any of the OS 7 BB phones would be fine. Mine is paired with my 9810 even though I have a work 9900. The phone choice is all dependent on your needs and preferences.
    11-29-11 06:30 AM
    Well, after reading a lot of threads and the answers here. As well as trying the phones out at the stores a fee times I have declared a winner.

The BB Bold 9900

Going to get one tonight, can't wait. Found one 2 weeks old for $350.00

jafobabe and aha like this.
    12-08-11 07:23 PM
    Well, after reading a lot of threads and the answers here. As well as trying the phones out at the stores a fee times I have declared a winner.

The BB Bold 9900

Great choice!!
    12-08-11 08:08 PM
    This thread is one of the best threads in the history ofthe PB forum.

It's a strong move to the superlativity of the PB/BB SuperCombo.

Noice.
    12-08-11 08:31 PM
    well, tried all night but we just couldnt connect. but i have today to make it happen.

its killing me, i need me a 9900, my bacon is shaken. lol

ill report back when i get it with my initial impressions on the PB + 9900 combo, then again a week in with a more through follow up.

im so hooked on this stuff, when we finally get a streaming solution for the playbook that is as good as airvideo on ios, life will be complete. chat soon all.
    12-09-11 12:46 PM
    I own 9810 but if i was to choose again i would go with 9900 because of larger keyboard. I find larger screen on 9810 useless once i have Playbook.
    12-09-11 01:41 PM
    Well, the 9900 fell through, bummer indeed but i'll find one soon. I did find myself an almost new 9860 and thought what the heck I'll give it a go (cheap so I had to), besides I come from the all touch screen world so why not.

Well, it's very nice indeed. OS7 is much nicer than OS6. Great camera, speedy interface, nice elegant UI, lots of customizations. I could go on and on but I would have to move the post to a new thread.

anyway. I'll post back again tomorrow with my impressions of the 9860 & PB combo. Chat soon all.
    12-12-11 06:23 PM
    I have to say the fit, finish, and build quality of the Curve 8330 is top notch; the chicklet keyboard superb. That said, I am waiting for that "London" BBX phone or that Porche design phone if and when they debut and arrive at my Sprint store.
    12-12-11 07:08 PM
    I have to say the fit, finish, and build quality of the Curve 8330 is top notch; the chicklet keyboard superb. That said, I am waiting for that "London" BBX phone or that Porche design phone if and when they debut and arrive at my Sprint store.
    Haha! I'm still with Sprint, still using my 8330, and loving it wit OS5 and Bridge
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-12-11 11:40 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

The BB Bold 9900

great choice! .. I have had the Bold 9900 since AUgust 9th! .. works great and love it!! ....
    12-13-11 12:14 AM
    9810 is the best deal in phones right now. You get a physical keyboard, a sweet camera, and a bigger screen than the 9900.

I recommend it without reservation. its a wicked combo with the Playbook.
    12-13-11 07:08 AM
    I'm going to put the 9860 up for trade for a 9900 or a 9810. The 9860 is a great phone don't get me wrong but I'm not sure I see the point in having 2 touch screen devices. Seems to me having the keyboard on the phone would be best. I've done better trades in my area before, should happen fast. Report back soon.
    12-13-11 12:26 PM
    I'm going to put the 9860 up for trade for a 9900 or a 9810. The 9860 is a great phone don't get me wrong but I'm not sure I see the point in having 2 touch screen devices. Seems to me having the keyboard on the phone would be best. I've done better trades in my area before, should happen fast. Report back soon.
    Maybe you could trade for local wine up there! (g)
    Berryuman likes this.
    12-13-11 02:39 PM
    Maybe you could trade for local wine up there! (g)
    funny you should say that. i just sold my old curve 9300 to a guy and he brought me 2 bottles, nice ones as well. Jackson Triggs, Cabernet Sauvignon. good stuff. now if someone would trade me phones.
    12-15-11 05:35 PM
    If I had it to do over, I would have gone with the 9900. I like the Torch form factor but both my 9800 and 9810 have slider wobble issues. The PB gives me all the touchscreen real estate I could ever want.

Bridging the PB to any OS 5-7 BB is a winning combination for both PIM access and tethering. Wi-Fi Hotspot is okay for data but the PB ability to leech data through the BT bridge really saves the phone's battery life.
    12-15-11 06:27 PM
    funny you should say that. i just sold my old curve 9300 to a guy and he brought me 2 bottles, nice ones as well. Jackson Triggs, Cabernet Sauvignon. good stuff. now if someone would trade me phones.
    Looks nice. I've got a number of friends on this side of the border in "our" Okanogan.

I'm still looking at the 9930 but still not buying....
    12-15-11 07:07 PM
    Well. I finally made the decision and bought a Torch 9810. I do find the keyboard a bit of a compromise when compared to the 9900 but on its own its great, not amazing but very, very good. But what sold me on the 9810 vs 9900 is the bigger screen and the better camera. The camera is a smaller point but it is one, the real issue was the screen.

My first comparisons were all keyboard vs keyboard and the 9900 won each time. But when I compared the two phones on all levels I found the 9810 won all areas except the keyboard, and it was close. I found the screen on the 9810 way better especially when closed and in portrait mode. And being able to slide and have the real keys is great. Camera is better with the real auto focus. Its not too big a deal but its a good thing for a dad like me.

I found it came down to me needing more touch screen then the 9900 offered while still having a proper keyboard, unlike the 9860, a phone I did not like. I was never the biggest fan of the touch screen keyboards on my iphones but the blackberry one is real bad.

So in the end I have the best set up for me. A touch phone with real keys and a killer playbook to make it compete. Man I love my blackberry's.

Side note. Adding a big mico sd card helps. Now, all I need is a dash mount for the playbook, fill my big memory card with tunes and life will be complete.

edit. i typed this on the phone in notepad. then bridge on playbook, copy paste. love it.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 12-22-11 at 09:19 PM.
    12-22-11 09:16 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD