Well, this might be a longer post but I hope it's worth the read.

I have been and I am still a Apple computer user since day 1. 1st real home computer was an Apple][ and I never looked back. In life I am Tech support so I also do windows and linux as well. Just last week the Playbook went on sale and seeing as my 4 year old son always has the iPad2 I thought I would get one for myself. I always said to myself being a Canadian if I was to by a tablet from a company other than Apple it would be from RIM.

WOW. I love this thing. (although I do miss AirVideo, orb isn't even close to as good.)

So, I play with it a few days and decide for my usage it would be great to have bridge to make it complete so I traded my iPhone (older 3G) for a new BB Curve 9300. Not the best BB by a long shot but it works to test/try bridge. Works great but still missing SMS on Playbook. Then I found SMS Bridge and life could't get any better. Having my text's come through to the Playbook is amazing, I can't believe I fumbled from device to device for so long.

Now I have my Playbook updated to the beta OS 2 and have side loaded a few Android apps and I must say other than not having cross platform Video chat solution and having to suffer through using orb, the playbook has become the goto device for me. I no longer even try to get the iPad from my son as everything I need/want is now on the Playbook.

Now, keep in mind I'm coming from the iPhone. I am trying to decide on what BB phone to get for myself as this 9300 is not up to par, at all.

Would you suggest looking at the torch slider or non slider? Why? Need the input of the real BB users here.

Thanks for reading everyone. Lovin life in the BB world.

Thomas.
    Hgouck, 00stryder and Jake2826 like this.
    11-27-11 12:06 PM
    Do you like the idea of a physical keyboard on a phone?

If yes I suggest you go and pick up the Bold 9900! it has a bigger youchscreen than the curve 9300 and a keyboard that is to die for!
    11-27-11 12:18 PM
    There's 3 high end OS7 BBs, all of them will deliver a similar experience as they have the same basic internal hardware. Thery are the Bold 9900, Torch 9860, and Torch 9810. The 9900 is classic BlackBerry, smaller screen and amazing keyboard. The 9810 is the slider, and. 9860 is the full touch.

Which one to get of those 3 really comes down to personal preference. They all have the same features, except that the 9900 is the only one with NFC.

Personally I'd recommend a 9900. It's RIM doing what they do best, and making a BlackBerry to be the best BlackBerry ever, and not trying to imitate iOS/Android (like full touch is). The keyboard on the 9900 really is the best keyboard on any smartphone ever, you'd be happy to type an essay on it. However, if you use your phone more for multimedia than communication (email/IM) then you might prioritize the bigger screen over the keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake2826 likes this.
    11-27-11 12:18 PM
    It's not a true BB if theres no physical keyboard (Torch 9860)
    I'd rather prefer the 9810
    11-27-11 12:23 PM
    After reading a few replies I must say the keyboard might just be a must have for me. The whole reason I am loving this Playbook is that I mostly don't need to reach for the phone but when I do I feel I type faster on the keyboard than on screen. I was never a fan of doing much on the small screen anyway.

Is the keyboard on the 9900 a lot better than the 9300? At the stores will the demo models have the real keyboard to try?

Loving this site, you guys and gals rock!
    AsBloodRunsBlack likes this.
    11-27-11 01:02 PM
    It has been a long time since I upgraded my BB phone. I like the idea of a phusical keyboard and went with the 9810. The price was right - it is being "sold" at Radioshack for ZERO. I thought it was a no brainer and as it has turned out for the less than a week since I bought the phone, I really like it. But then again, I would NOT go with a physical keyboard.

I think Radioshack has a 30 day return policy if you get a phone that does not suit you needs.

BTW I just bought the PB and think it is great when combined with a BB phone. I don't think the Apple iPad can touch it and that does not even include the current great price differential.

Good luck with your purchase.
    BERaddict likes this.
    11-27-11 01:18 PM
    Bold 9900 hands down. best phone ive ever had and goes so well with my PB. Welcome to Team Blackberry.
    11-27-11 01:48 PM
    My friend has a 9900 and it's an awesome device... I have a 9700 atm and the keyboard isn't anywhere near as good.
    My plan was to wait for the next gen BBX devices but the temptation got the better of me and I ended up ordering 2 9900's today... one for me and the second for my other half (she has the 8900)

Going to load both of them with the BETA OS with wifi-hotspot... all I'm saying it, it's going to ROCK!
    11-27-11 01:54 PM
    Is the keyboard on the 9900 a lot better than the 9300? At the stores will the demo models have the real keyboard to try?
    The Curve models are made with a cheaper keyboard that is nowhere near as nice.

The dummy phones are different and the keyboard will not feel the same. Most carrier stores will have a live one you can try though, just have to ask. I did that at a Rogers store before buying mine.
    11-27-11 01:58 PM
    I came from the iPhone and I personally like the 9860 quite a lot. I really can appreciate the keyboard on the 9900 (I was *this* close to getting one and it is delightful to use), but I think I get more out of the larger screen and I wanted auto-focus since this is basically my camera. And I type very quickly on the virtual keyboard so I didn't *need* the physical one.

Give the 9810 a look though, if you feel like a real keyboard would be handy, it's a very interesting design where you get the bigger screen w/touch and the keyboard if you want it.
    11-27-11 02:39 PM
    After reading a few replies I must say the keyboard might just be a must have for me. The whole reason I am loving this Playbook is that I mostly don't need to reach for the phone but when I do I feel I type faster on the keyboard than on screen. I was never a fan of doing much on the small screen anyway.

The 9900 keyboard is WAY better than any Curve, better than any BB except the old 9000. I have the 9810 because I really like the bigger screen. But, my husband has the 9900 and it is so nice to type on. You really could write a book with it. There's nothing else out there in the smartphone world like it.
    11-27-11 03:42 PM
    go with the bold 9900
    11-27-11 03:45 PM
    My vote goes for the bold 9900 also.
    11-27-11 03:48 PM
    to the OP. What app lets you get sms to the pb?
    i've been waiting and waiting for that one, i can't believe i missed it !!!
    jordandrews90 and BERaddict like this.
    11-27-11 03:58 PM
    The Curve models are made with a cheaper keyboard that is nowhere near as nice.

The dummy phones are different and the keyboard will not feel the same. Most carrier stores will have a live one you can try though, just have to ask. I did that at a Rogers store before buying mine.
    I wouldn't say they are "Cheaper" keyboard, they are DIFFERENT Keyboards, It's like the difference between a Dell laptop and a Sony laptop keyboard, one is no space, one is chicklet.

I do agree get a REAL phone not a Dummy phone to try.

I 100% say get a keyboard device if you carry the PlayBook everywhere, the advantage of a Full touchscreen is viewing MORE content on well if you have your playbook you just view the content on there, once you learn all the keyboard short cuts on a BlackBerry device, and find the ways it can improve basic productivity you'll not want to give up the physical keyboard ever again
    gman-88 likes this.
    11-27-11 04:09 PM
    @ patpatiar. It's in the app world. SMS bridge. Works great.
    patpatiar and BERaddict like this.
    11-27-11 04:40 PM
    sounds to me like the 9900 is the one, ill explain.

im a single dad with a 4 year old autistic son. i dont have a lot of time for games and play. my main thing is communication and information. so even though i have been an ios user since day one, and have lots of apps and games they where all biught early on and i use almost none of them. i mainly use the phone as a phone, email, text and quick i fo like weather. so, the idea of the 9900 with the nice keyboard is cool. for media, web and so on i have the playbook and as such will not be messing around on a small screen for these things. ****, i dont use my 9300 for anything but a phone unless my playbook isnt with me.

any thoughts on hardware like the camers. wifi. and so on. or are the new bb's mostly the same?
    11-27-11 11:22 PM
    sounds to me like the 9900 is the one, ill explain.

im a single dad with a 4 year old autistic son. i dont have a lot of time for games and play. my main thing is communication and information. so even though i have been an ios user since day one, and have lots of apps and games they where all biught early on and i use almost none of them. i mainly use the phone as a phone, email, text and quick i fo like weather. so, the idea of the 9900 with the nice keyboard is cool. for media, web and so on i have the playbook and as such will not be messing around on a small screen for these things. ****, i dont use my 9300 for anything but a phone unless my playbook isnt with me.

any thoughts on hardware like the camers. wifi. and so on. or are the new bb's mostly the same?
    the 9900 has the worst of the Camera's for close up shots, but takes fast pictures for action shots.
    quality is BETTER by far over your 9300 ( I happen to have a 9300 AND 9900 on my couch right now)
    I have few wifi issues with the 9900, it connects to my house, and most hotels flawlessly
    11-27-11 11:25 PM
    First question is are you loyal to a specific carrier? Then what are the devices that carrier has.

If you do not care about the carrier, then certainly the new Bolds are the top of the line BlackBerrys. And seeing as you like the PlayBook, it is also nice to have a phenomenal real keyboard to pair. Moreover the coming OS 2 official release will supposedly allow you to type on the PlayBook using your phone. That's a nice option.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-27-11 11:53 PM
    I tell you what, if that Porsche Design Blackberry or the BBX ever become a reality, then I'm losing the iPhone ricky tick! Those two phone designs are so over the top.
    11-27-11 11:58 PM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    11-28-11 01:55 AM
    9900 is the one to go. Best BBOS Blsckberry ever made...I really want one but our company just upgraded to torch 9800 this yr
    11-28-11 02:33 AM
    Making decisions with so many great BB's it is a hard one to make.

I sure liked the feel of the 9900 too, but I wanted more screen size, vitual and actual keyboard, and the auto focus on the camera.. so I got the 9810.

It comes down to what would be better for you, as most all the BB's are awesome!
    11-28-11 02:41 AM
    I tell you what, if that Porsche Design Blackberry or the BBX ever become a reality, then I'm losing the iPhone ricky tick! Those two phone designs are so over the top.
    LOL long time since I heard that one! Made me laff
    11-28-11 02:43 AM
    Get the Torch 9810... I have it, my wife has 9800. I used to have a curve 8900 before. The Torch is awesomely fast! And gives you the best of both worlds... Keyboard and touch screen. I am using my Torch now to post this message to crackberry! And just got my playbook from Bestbuy today! Ordered it last week online and came in the mail!
    11-28-11 06:33 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD