As an 8 year user of RIM/BlackBerry devices, I bit the bullet and got a PlayBook 16GB from BestBuy yesterday when the price dropped to $199. What a steal, right?

Well, I wanted to love the Playbook but I returned it today - only 24 hours later. I love the size, I think it's decent hardware specs, the OS seemed OK, but the app catalog really sucks. Yes, I even downloaded and installed the 2.0 beta and put several Android apps on. They worked OK. But if I have to use an "app player" for the majority of apps that I want to use, I might as well get an Android tablet to begin with.

BlackBerry Bridge: pretty cool concept. I have a Torch 9810 that is on my corporate BES. Bridge worked "OK". I wasn't blown away. Found myself wondering why I wouldn't just pick up my Torch instead of the tablet. My personal conclusion was if Bridge is the only advantage over other tablets, it just isn't a big enough advantage. Not even for $199.

Anyone else grab a discounted unit and having similar thoughts about returning?
    Hello,

You paid 199$ and don't like PB, I paid 499$ and love it.

You really think that viewing mail attachments (pdf, excel, word) in PB is the same that viewing in 9810?
    Anyone that want to play android apps must buy an android tablet, in my case I don�t need android apps for working and having fun with my PB

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by rafa247; 11-22-11 at 06:36 AM.
    11-22-11 06:33 AM
    Aaaah Playbook what a toy tool! I paid full price for mine don't care about that either cos i'm happy with it, enough games from both worlds of QNX (much better than android) and android to toy with and i just started typing a business plan in word to go from my connected apple wireless keyboard, can the real 2.0 be any better than the beta? Loving this thing!!
    11-22-11 06:35 AM
    I just got one and I love it. I intend to put some Android apps on it, but it's perfect (7 inch) for what I need: reading, browsing, emailing, etc.
    11-22-11 07:20 AM
    Why would you pick up the playbook instead of your torch? Really? Lets see... how about a gorgeous 7 inch display? How about a fast operating system with the most intuitive navigation interface on the market (swipes kick ****)? How about the fact that you can surf on your Playbook without paying your carrier a Stupid Tax?

And you're complaining about app player? You took the time to side load 2.0 and get app player running... and then you complain because the apps run in App Player?

This is what people are having a hard time understanding... its like going and buying an Escalade ESV and then returning it the next day because it gets crappy gas mileage and is to big for you.
    11-22-11 07:36 AM
    Well, I wanted to love the Playbook but I returned it today - only 24 hours later. I love the size, I think it's decent hardware specs, the OS seemed OK, but the app catalog really sucks.
    You had 15 days to return...why return it right away?

Yes it has issues, but you have to give it a chance. At 199 there's nothing comparable right now.
    Snap51 likes this.
    11-22-11 07:40 AM
    I agree with most of the replies you're getting here rdrakea. I bought my PlayBook from a Atlanta craiglist seller after she turned it on twice only to find out it lacked apps. I can say the apps have come a long way now. I remember some of us crackberry users petitioning Skype, uTorrent, Zynga and other big devs in hopes to see them push their apps on to the PlayBook. The responses we received weren't bad. It was either good news or hopeful news promising we'd see the apps if the sales of the PlayBook rises. Seems we are on track with the price drops for the holidays.
    11-22-11 07:41 AM
    i just bought mine from best buy Maryland,U.S and ive had nothing but problems since purchasing the tablet...for the lasr 2 days now my wife has been upset with the fact that she has to pry this awesome device away from me so that i get back to the daily routine.I went from changing 60% of my sons diapers to about 20%.Although im not too sure if she is more upset because she has had to step her diaper quota up or is she upset because she wants more time on the playbook! This device is dangerous!If i dont find a happy medium between my pb and daily routine,then i may have to seek out some kind of rehabilitation services.Damn you Playbook your tearing my life apart!!!
    11-22-11 07:41 AM
    Bought my PB full price, no regrets whatsoever. Bridge it to my 9780 and life is good Also played with OS2 dev for awhile and I can see the potential when the update comes out. I'm not getting rid of it any time soon
    11-22-11 07:45 AM
    Yes he is pointing out the obvious if you did any research.

But the app store is beyond terrible. I mean the largest apps like Pandora, Kindle, free Twitter, and even the the monster of Angry Birds should be on this thing.

I mean its just the point. Its like buying a cell phone that doesnt support voice mail.

The checker board appears most of the time for me even on Wi Fi. The browser is also very slow compared to other devices I own and have used.
    11-22-11 07:47 AM
    Aaaah Playbook what a toy tool! I paid full price for mine don't care about that either cos i'm happy with it, enough games from both worlds of QNX (much better than android) and android to toy with and i just started typing a business plan in word to go from my connected apple wireless keyboard, can the real 2.0 be any better than the beta? Loving this thing!!
    Do you bridge at all?
    11-22-11 07:47 AM
    It's an absolute steal at $199 and I wish I had paid that in the UK. OS2 will make that the bargain of the year (sadly 2012 rather than 2011)

The way I look at it is in comparison to the price of a 9900 off contract. Looked at like that it's incredible value. RIM must really be banking on making money out of App World to make up for the loss on the hardware.
    11-22-11 07:54 AM
    OP is trolling for flamebait.

Useless topic.
    11-22-11 08:08 AM
    if ur not willing to spend money on decent apps u'll get crap.

modern combat 2 is awesome.
    Isnt that the truth.

One big mistake RIM made was giving free playbooks to anybody in the beginning that developed and marketed an app... remember the ... um.... *gentleman*.... that trashed the playbook from launch who had himself developed an app (that sucked eggs)... and his pics posted online had reflections of an apple logo haha.....

In the beginning there was almost nothing but .99 cent piece of cr*p apps, i mean CR*POLA, all from devs that just wanted a freebee.... so anybody that purchased a playbook and then went right to the playbook appworld was severely and legitamitely appalled at the selection he saw.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 08:11 AM
    OP is trolling for flamebait.

Useless topic.
    There seems to be a good and lively and positive debate going on here. No one's flaming, just enjoy...
    rdrakea and maddie1128 like this.
    11-22-11 08:17 AM
    As an 8 year user of RIM/BlackBerry devices, I bit the bullet and got a PlayBook 16GB from BestBuy yesterday when the price dropped to $199. What a steal, right?

Well, I wanted to love the Playbook but I returned it today - only 24 hours later. I love the size, I think it's decent hardware specs, the OS seemed OK, but the app catalog really sucks. Yes, I even downloaded and installed the 2.0 beta and put several Android apps on. They worked OK. But if I have to use an "app player" for the majority of apps that I want to use, I might as well get an Android tablet to begin with.

BlackBerry Bridge: pretty cool concept. I have a Torch 9810 that is on my corporate BES. Bridge worked "OK". I wasn't blown away. Found myself wondering why I wouldn't just pick up my Torch instead of the tablet. My personal conclusion was if Bridge is the only advantage over other tablets, it just isn't a big enough advantage. Not even for $199.

Anyone else grab a discounted unit and having similar thoughts about returning?
    I grabbed a discounted unit and have NO intention of returning it. I love it. I never thought I would get a tablet but I reading this forum for just a couple of months had me reconsidering.

As for the disappointment in apps, if you'd really done your research before buying you would have known that if you are an apps person, iPad or an Android tablet would always be a better bet. I personally don't need 100's of apps (I don't think the app catalogue sucks btw) and can wait for the Andoid player if I suddenly become desparate for more of them (unlikely). The Bridge is great. The Playbook is practical and fun and stylish and at this recent price point - a steal. To each their own...I do not think the Playbook ever set out to be App Central first and foremost.

It is nice that you bought it and had it for all of 24 hours, but sounds like you fully expected to be disappointed with it - so you were.
    Snap51 likes this.
    11-22-11 08:23 AM
    OP: I can't say I'm sorry that you didn't feel it useful, but I could have sworn all the things you mentioned were in many threads for months.

I picked up one at $199 for my sister and another for me to upgrade from my 32GB. Still, I'm finding this PB more useful than I originally thought months ago. My sis LOVES her new PB and is happy to upgrade her old phone since she sees what I do over the bridge without picking up my phone for everything....now if only we could get SMS on it........
    11-22-11 08:41 AM
    Yes he is pointing out the obvious if you did any research.

But the app store is beyond terrible. I mean the largest apps like Pandora, Kindle, free Twitter, and even the the monster of Angry Birds should be on this thing.

I mean its just the point. Its like buying a cell phone that doesnt support voice mail.

The checker board appears most of the time for me even on Wi Fi. The browser is also very slow compared to other devices I own and have used.
    apps are slowly coming.. and with this influx of PB's being sold i would hope that the devs get on the boat and develop or port over apps.. i love Spider Man HD! and samari 2...

just cause it doens't have the apps u want doesn't mean it's terrible.. can it be improved?? OH YES i agree with u, but it;s not terrible!

checker board is there, but it disappears pretty quickly .. same as other tablets..

i LOVEEE BRIDGE... the ability to be on the phone and use everything on my PB is awesome..
    11-22-11 08:51 AM
    All I gotta say is the OP is a moron.
    11-22-11 08:55 AM
    All I gotta say is the OP is a moron.
    Thanks!
    11-22-11 09:08 AM
    Lol, you guys give in to the worst posts.. you're doing exactly what the OP wanted. Smh.
    BB_Bmore and howarmat like this.
    11-22-11 09:25 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD