1. I only have a pc that has windows xp and it has a broadband connection. Blackberry desktop software is not getting installed.
    IS THERE ANY WAY OR SOFTWARE THAT WOULD HELP ME USE PLAYBOOK AS A MASS STORAGE DEVICE OR HELP ME TRANSFER FILES?

2. I use Sony Ericsson XPERIA neo.
    I'M UNABLE TO USE BLUETOOTH FOR TRANSFERRING FILES FROM PHONE TO PLAYBOOK.
    Please help as to what to do!
    01-23-12 10:09 PM
    What do you mean blackberry desktop software is not getting installed..? is it because you dont want to install it or is there some sort of error?
    01-23-12 10:11 PM
    Welcome to the forums!
    Your answers are in this thread..

Check out the Newbie Tips and Tricks for the Playbook, by clicking below my signature..
    It was compiled by the knowledgeable posters from this forum.

Enjoy!
    01-23-12 10:15 PM
    for transfering files i never use the desktop manager. after plugging in ur bb playbook to ur cpu it should come up in my computer folder. if its not recognized try a diff usb on cpu ex the back of cpu
    01-23-12 10:21 PM
    I have xp and it's showing a message which says that I need a higher version of windows.
    So is there something that would help me use it like a mass storage device rather than installing the software?
    01-23-12 11:20 PM
    I have the same problem as you: Couldn't get my PC recognize my Playbook. My workaround thus far is to use Dropbox to transfer music and movies. A bit of a pain, but the transfers might actually be faster if you have a fast connection.
    01-23-12 11:26 PM
    There's also the wifi file transfer method.
    01-23-12 11:27 PM
    I have the same problem as you: Couldn't get my PC recognize my Playbook. My workaround thus far is to use Dropbox to transfer music and movies. A bit of a pain, but the transfers might actually be faster if you have a fast connection.
    Does drop box require pc and playbook to be connected to the same WiFi network?
    Or will it work if my pc has broadband and playbook is on WiFi.?
    01-23-12 11:48 PM
    for transfering files i never use the desktop manager. after plugging in ur bb playbook to ur cpu it should come up in my computer folder. if its not recognized try a diff usb on cpu ex the back of cpu
    Will this work even when desktop software isn't installed at all?
    01-23-12 11:50 PM
    You mean connect it to the PC? CPU stands for Central Processing Unit which is commonly known as a processor. Its a PC component not a PC.

But to the OP. Is there a particular reason why you're still using XP? Work, specific program compatiblity, ancient hardware, low money, or maybe even hate Windows 7?

Not trying to be rude so don't get mad

Why isn't the software installing? It should be compatible.
    01-24-12 12:04 AM
    It should install and run fine on Windows XP as long as you meeting the minimum requirements listed here:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software System Requirements

If your PC does not have XP SP2 by now then you have some downloading and patching to do. This could be one reason that it might be asking for a later version of Windows.
    01-24-12 12:19 AM
    also, Bluetooth is not working even with blackberry 9000 bold.
    There comes no option of ' connect device' and if I send a file from that phone, it shows nothing on the playbook and sending fails.
    I've paired, but unable to connect.
    Is there some fault?
    01-24-12 12:30 AM
    It should install and run fine on Windows XP as long as you meeting the minimum requirements listed here:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software System Requirements

If your PC does not have XP SP2 by now then you have some downloading and patching to do. This could be one reason that it might be asking for a later version of Windows.
    All those requirements are fulfilled. I have sp2.
    the desktop software which runs by default from my playbook asks for sp3 or higher.
    If I download this version of desktop software and use this instead of the one which runs from playbook, there won't be any problems then, right?
    Or does my playbook requires the version which is inbuilt?
    Sorry for repeatedly asking but I'm totally new and it's been a day and all of 64 gb is empty as neither Bluetooth transfer is working nor pc.
    Last edited by arnavgera; 01-24-12 at 12:45 AM.
    01-24-12 12:43 AM
    All those requirements are fulfilled. I have sp2.
    the desktop software which runs by default from my playbook asks for sp3 or higher.
    If I download this version of desktop software and use this instead of the one which runs from playbook, there won't be any problems then, right?
    Or does my playbook requires the version which is inbuilt?
    Sorry for repeatedly asking but I'm totally new and it's been a day and all of 64 gb is empty as neither Bluetooth transfer is working nor pc.
    Yes. OP is correct, and RIM's System Requirements page needs updating.

I recall from my own installation difficulties that SP3 is mandatory or the DM installer won't run.

OP: download SP3 from Microsoft's website (Google is your friend for the address ). The SP3 installer is upgrade-friendly and you shouldn't lose any of your existing stuff. Once done, you'll have patched to XP SP3 and you can install the DM.

IIRC, you need to install the DM even if you don't use it for backup and synching as it also installs drivers etc so your Playbook is recognised as Z:.

HTH
    01-24-12 06:55 AM
    Also right now the pb's bluetooth doesn't support file transfer except for paired with a bb.
    01-24-12 07:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD