I watched the video of the PB booting and noted that it takes about one minute. Does this happen whenever you power the device on, or is this only if you purposely do a reset or reboot?
    04-04-11 07:14 PM
    From what I saw when I powered off the device and back on it was quick. The actual reboot takes a minute.
    04-04-11 07:18 PM
    I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere in here that on the demos there is a sleep feature available, which would explain the fast power on and power off.
    04-04-11 07:23 PM
    so you'd turn it on in the morning, wait a minute for it to boot, then for the rest of the day sleep it when your not using it? then power down at night?
    04-04-11 07:27 PM
    I watched the video of the PB booting and noted that it takes about one minute. Does this happen whenever you power the device on, or is this only if you purposely do a reset or reboot?
    This is a beta device...near pre release..I wouldn't hold to much faith into current boot up times,being that of final release

QNX supports rapid booting ....finalized software should have this feature activated.

Let's not turn this issue into the battery life fiasco.
    04-04-11 07:27 PM
    This is a beta device...near pre release..I wouldn't hold to much faith into current boot up times,being that of final release

QNX supports rapid booting ....finalized software should have this feature activated.

I'm not asking about battery life, im asking about boot up time. I understand the devices shown are beta, but since Crackberry put the vid on their main page i was a bit concerned.
    04-04-11 07:54 PM
    1 min boot up time means nothing...a pc or laptop takes longer. I wouldn't emphasize so much thought into this...for now...its pointless

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-11 07:58 PM
    1 min boot up time means nothing...a pc or laptop takes longer. I wouldn't emphasize so much thought into this...for now...its pointless

good point. I guess im spoiled by my phone. I wonder how long it takes an ipad to boot up?
    04-04-11 08:01 PM
    good point. I guess im spoiled by my phone. I wonder how long it takes an ipad to boot up?
    Not sure..but I imagine its close to 1 min...I know my ipod touch gen 4 after you completely shut off and reboot takes less or about 1 min...so whateva...

04-04-11 08:07 PM
    Not sure..but I imagine its close to 1 min...I know my ipod touch gen 4 after you completely shut off and reboot takes less or about 1 min...so whateva...

ok. just as long as the Apple zombies aren't laughing at how long the PB takes to boot up I'm happy. I already take guff from them because the Browser in my Torch is slower than a !@##$%^ iPhone!
    04-04-11 08:13 PM
    Yeah for real. FYI...I love my 9650....and the iPod Touch is the only device I've bought that has an apple logo on it...all else...I pass :-)

04-04-11 08:15 PM
    [/QUOTE]

QNX on PB is fully ready it's final stage update was on March 31st.
    Can be found here.
    Rumor: BlackBerry PlayBook launching on April 10th | PocketBerry
    The final OS will be available March 31st
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 04-04-11 at 08:21 PM.
    04-04-11 08:18 PM
    QNX on PB is fully ready it's final stage update was on March 31st.
    I'm almost certain that this is no longer true. It was their original plan, I believe, but the PlayBook in question was specifically said to be a beta device anyways.
    04-04-11 08:48 PM
    so you'd turn it on in the morning, wait a minute for it to boot, then for the rest of the day sleep it when your not using it? then power down at night?
    No, you just leave it on all the time. You'd reboot if it lost power completely or if the OS ever needed to be restarted for some reason.
    04-04-11 09:01 PM
    I'm almost certain that this is no longer true. It was their original plan, I believe, but the PlayBook in question was specifically said to be a beta device anyways.
    I think you'll find that everytime a RIM rep demos anything, they always say it's pre-release BETA. For some reason if they say that it makes the customer think the final product will be 10 times better.

The point is, WTF would you send someone out to demo your newest products with hardware/software that wasn't at least recent up to that point? If more of you that went out there and fondled these devices wouldn't cream your pants over stupid **** like size and if it fit in your pocket and instead look at software versions and hardware info from the info screens, we might actually be able to keep track of where the software/hardware development progress is and be able to substantiate the statements of these people demoing the products instead of nodding and taking their word for it.
    04-04-11 09:12 PM
    Trust me on this - the hardware revision was finalized many months ago. There are usual several hardware revs for each device but it is finalized relative quickly compared to the software. The software is built on an almost nightly basis, given someone didn't break the build of course. The build number keeps going up as developers check in changes every single day. They will take a specific build and label it as the gold build essentially.

04-05-11 12:19 AM
    So it seems obvious from the Playbook in the video that it is not the final hardware since it appears that there are no cameras. Am I missing something?
    04-05-11 01:22 AM
    So it seems obvious from the Playbook in the video that it is not the final hardware since it appears that there are no cameras. Am I missing something?
    The camera on the front is plain as day. Watch the video again and you'll see it. I can even see the lens for it. I dunno who started the "it didn't even have cameras" BS, but it does have them. If the demo person said that, they must be smoking something. The camera hardware is there and visible on the front for the front facing camera.
    04-05-11 01:21 PM
    Think of it as you would your computer. I shut down my computer every night and turn it back on in the morning. I don't have to do this, but it stops it from turning on and loudly blowing the fan at 1:00 am... I'll probably do the same on my PlayBook because any device runs faster right after a reboot than it does when its last reboot was a week ago... On the other hand I can hibernate/sleep my computer, which I'll do with my PlayBook when I go into a meeting or something so that it isn't running and wasting battery. Also, it does seem to take less time than my 3-month old computer, so who cares that it takes too long, nothing else is faster! :P

04-05-11 02:43 PM
    With respect to the cameras, it was apparently the camera software which was failing. When someone tried running the camera, something would crash or freeze and the rep would reboot the unit right away (even though the OS as a whole was still perfectly functional).

On the units at the Toronto Dev Day (v1.0.1.1400) the camera stuff worked just fine. Of course, there's no particular reason to suspect that the software was the underlying problem in Kitchener either... could just have been some broken hardware making the software crash. Whatever... none of this really matters.
    Last edited by peter9477; 04-05-11 at 03:19 PM. Reason: clarify sw vs hw thing
    04-05-11 03:17 PM

ipods / apple devices never fully turn off... they are 'always on' / in sleep mode ... even if u dont notice it.. you cant fully completely shut off.. thus the battery drains... so thats why its so fast to turn on.
    04-05-11 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD