I would like to buy a Bluetooth headset. Nothing fancy, just something that will pair with PB and work.

Main use would be for making calls using Comwave, if that would work. Can PB speakers be turned off while using Bluetooth?

But use for listening to music or audio books while driving would be a plus. (Or could buy separate earphones for that)

Any suggestions?

PS: We have a Canada Computers store locally and they have a huge selection:
    Canada Computers | Bluetooth Headset
    12-29-12 01:08 PM
    I'm not american, but in the UK Amazon, I did find these - and, woopdy-doo! They're on USA Amazon as well. Maybe you should consider buying them; I bought a pair of them too, and I love them! You just have to make sure they're regularly charged.

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTH220 Bluetooth Stereo Headphone - Supports Wireless Music Streaming and Hands-Free calling: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Last edited by Crowezine; 12-29-12 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Additions!
    12-29-12 01:13 PM
    When you connect BT headphones OR even SPEAKERS to the pb, the internal speaker do turn off and the sound comes out of the headphones or speakers.

I'm not sure driving around fully encased in dual headphones (two ears engaged) would be legal (might be jurisdiction dependent) or safe.

You might want them to allow remote volume control. Some bt earpieces (my Jawbone icons) canNOT control volume on the earpieces so you need to use the pb's volume control. That can be limiting in two ways - first you have to tap the pb and use the slider and with my Icons, I cannot get sufficient volume (and they are not very loud!).
    12-29-12 01:44 PM
    If my research is correct the playbook does not support Bluetooth headset profile.
    12-29-12 02:16 PM
    I use a Meelectronics Air-Fi AF9 headset. The headphones included are equivalent to the M9 series which are fairly good, for the price, in ear monitors.
    As DrBoomBotz said, this headset does not connect using the Bluetooth HSP profile that would allow you to use the mic and remote controls.
    It connects using the A2DP profile which is unidirectional audio only.

I just tried recording a Voice Note just to be sure. The Playbook was picking up audio through the onboard mics not the mic in the headset.
    johnierw, CairnsRock and Herve5 like this.
    12-29-12 02:50 PM
    Ok, so it sounds like the BT mike wouldn't work. So not much point if using with Comwave?

What got me back interested, was an earlier thread in which some owners said they could use phone and listen to music with their BT headsets:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-701016/

Assuming they were wrong and nothing BT will work, I guess my options would be:
    - use BT headset to listen and use PB microphone. That might avoid feedback on Comwave.
    - use a wired headset with earphones & mike - would that work?
    - Forget about Comwave/PB and use Skype on laptop for calls (for some reason, no feedback problem there)

BTW, we are heading to USA soon and need a cheap method for LD calls back to Canada. Skype or Comwave are the options. Our phone down there only works for local calls.

F2 - I wouldn't use headset while driving! Just as passenger listening to things the driver may not want to listen to
    12-29-12 03:48 PM
    I'm not american, but in the UK Amazon, I did find these - and, woopdy-doo! They're on USA Amazon as well. Maybe you should consider buying them; I bought a pair of them too, and I love them! You just have to make sure they're regularly charged.
    Sound good, but does mike work with bluetooth? See other posts above.
    12-29-12 03:51 PM
    I love my Samsung WEP870. You can use it as a traditional BT mono head set for your phone or as a dog tag version with stereo ear buds for music.
    12-29-12 04:22 PM
    When I connect mine, they're classed as a remote and an audio device. I remember seeing a tiny hole on them which may be a mic. But they say on Amazon that you can answer a cqll with them, so this may be the case.
    12-29-12 04:52 PM
    If my research is correct the playbook does not support Bluetooth headset profile.
    No problems at all...i use Sony bt headphones that came with an mp3 player.......playbook speakers and volume control are disabled when connected....volume is controlled by the headphone controls......search and connect takes seconds,they work very well.
    12-29-12 04:53 PM
    RocketFish RF-MAB2. Hands-free, stereo headset, 4 DSP profiles, BB friendly, good battery life. $20 on ebay.
    12-29-12 04:55 PM
    No problems at all...i use Sony bt headphones that came with an mp3 player.......playbook speakers and volume control are disabled when connected....volume is controlled by the headphone controls......search and connect takes seconds,they work very well.
    But does the Bluetooth microphone work?
    12-29-12 04:59 PM
    This was fixed in OS2
    12-29-12 05:11 PM
    But does the Bluetooth microphone work?
    Good question. I don't use video chat and we don't have Skype for the PB...so, anyone?

I did a test with Voice Notes and it worked.
    12-29-12 05:14 PM
    Good question. I don't use video chat and we don't have Skype for the PB...so, anyone?

I did a test with Voice Notes and it worked.
    If the bt headset microphone works with voice notes that means that headset profile at least partially works. the other functions would be call control. which would likely require support from the application.
    Glad to be wrong about bt headset profile.
    12-29-12 05:28 PM
    If the bt headset microphone works with voice notes that means that headset profile at least partially works. the other functions would be call control. which would likely require support from the application.
    Glad to be wrong about bt headset profile.
    Maybe I am wrong, but it seems most replies so far are from users using Bluetooth to LISTEN to music etc. But not much about use of microphone for communication. That would be key for a Skype like app which Comwave is.

How about wired headsets - would they be more likely to have both mike and earphone support?
    12-29-12 06:31 PM
    Maybe I am wrong, but it seems most replies so far are from users using Bluetooth to LISTEN to music etc. But not much about use of microphone for communication. That would be key for a Skype like app which Comwave is.

How about wired headsets - would they be more likely to have both mike and earphone support?
    I think Hennesey mentioned bt worked with the voice notes for mic.

And, yes, I've tested wired, also with Voice notes, and the mic worked. I also tapped the mic ports on the pb and did NOT get sound, so it was solely from the wired headphones.
    Herve5 likes this.
    12-29-12 06:43 PM

A wired headset is almost guaranteed to work
    12-29-12 06:44 PM
    I'm no bluetooth expert but being that I am into headphones I would suggest taking a look at "Sennheiser". If its wired, Sennheiser for sure.
    12-29-12 06:45 PM
    I'm no bluetooth expert but being that I am into headphones I would suggest taking a look at "Sennheiser". If its wired, Sennheiser for sure.
    Checked those out. Our local store has one pair for $649 with an instant discount of $230 for the next few days! Think I will pass

F2, I realize that Hennesey did do a test, but not for communication and even he said "so anyone?"

The Rocketfish units seem like an option, but they are about $50+tax here and even on Amazon/eBay by time shipped over $40.00. Canada Computers (link in first post) has many options. Maybe one of their Samsungs or Motorolas will work? I will go and see - they know nothing about PBs, but may be able to suggest something.

Thanks for all the input guys Very helpful.
    12-29-12 08:03 PM
    You might want to check-out BlueBuds X. I would caution against wearing this headset while operating a a vehicle, any heavy machinery, or a bicycle on a roadway.
    12-29-12 08:35 PM
    One more question

I found that I could get the Blackberry HS-700 at a good price. Then I found an article explaining how to pair HS-700 with Playbook.

I am sure all of it's features won't be available, but is there any reason not to consider this product?
    12-29-12 08:40 PM
    One more question

I found that I could get the Blackberry HS-700 at a good price. Then I found an article explaining how to pair HS-700 with Playbook.

I am sure all of it's features won't be available, but is there any reason not to consider this product?
    Please let us know how it turns out.
    I am especially interested to know if the microphone works with the voice recorder.
    here is a link that explains the terms Bluetooth profile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can tell you first hand(I have tested both devices)
    Jabra clipper supports
    Headset Profile (HSP)
    Hands-Free Profile (HFP)
    Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
    and
    Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
    It pairs with playbook but playbook only sees
    (A2DP) and (AVRCP)

Motorola H730 supports
    (HSP)
    and
    (HFP)
    It pairs with the playbook but playbook does not see any profiles.

Good Luck!
    12-29-12 09:21 PM
    I will use the Meelectronics Air-Fi AF9 headset, I just ordered them from Amazon. The reviewers love them..
    12-29-12 09:26 PM
    One more question

Actually I would go for the Samsung WEP870 as hennesseystealth confirms that the microphone works.
    12-29-12 09:31 PM
61 123