If my research is correct the playbook does not support Bluetooth headset profile.
    Not true. I have a Motorola S-10HD which works great. Also have the Mini Boombox. Both show the headphone icon.
    12-29-12 11:54 PM
    If my research is correct the playbook does not support Bluetooth headset profile.
    Not true. I have a Motorola S-10HD which works great. Also have the Logitech Mini Boombox. Both show the headphone icon.
    12-29-12 11:56 PM
    Not true. I have a Motorola S-10HD which works great. Also have the Mini Boombox. Both show the headphone icon.
    So the microphones work with the Playbook?
    12-30-12 06:59 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ilable-743576/

This thread talks about Motorola S-10HD and headset profile.

PowderJockey could you please confirm the microphone function of your Motorola S-10HD?
    Make a recording using the voice recorder application and tap on the headset microphone with your finger... then tap on the playbook microphone to see which one works.

Please and Thanks
    12-30-12 07:55 AM
    I have the Jabra Street 2 and it works perfectly, supporting multiple profiles so I also use it on my laptop & Android phone.
    12-30-12 12:31 PM
    So let me see if I have this straight. You looked at one Sennheiser model and you are considering "Rocketfish"? Why not "Use the internet" and look at Sennheiser, AKG, Motorola, etc,,... Find the models that your most interested in and look at the user reviews on Amazon?

Rocketfish? The BestBuy House Brand? WTH
    12-30-12 12:38 PM
    So let me see if I have this straight. You looked at one Sennheiser model and you are considering "Rocketfish"? Why not "Use the internet" and look at Sennheiser, AKG, Motorola, etc,,... Find the models that your most interested in and look at the user reviews on Amazon?

Rocketfish? The BestBuy House Brand? WTH
    Just where would I find those reviews on Amazon? That is, the ones that specifically review performance of bluetooth headsets on a Playbook?

No you don't have anything straight. Did you read the first line of my original post?

WTH? I could say that too about your post!
    Last edited by kwelamnp; 12-31-12 at 09:16 AM.
    12-30-12 02:13 PM
    I have the Jabra Street 2 and it works perfectly, supporting multiple profiles so I also use it on my laptop & Android phone.
    Apologies in advance for beating a dead horse but.
    bigbaldbloke could you please confirm the microphone function of your Jabra Street 2?
    Make a recording using the voice recorder application and tap on the headset microphone with your finger... then tap on the playbook microphone to see which one works.

Please and Thanks
    12-30-12 03:50 PM
    Just tested my rather older Motorola S9. The headphone microphone does NOT send sound nor turn off the PB's internal microphones when using Voice Notes. While I can hear what I recorded back through the S9's, the mic input was solely from the pb's two mics, the left and right.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-30-12 04:59 PM
    I just tried a Monster ClarityHD speaker.
    It has a built-in mic but it does not work with the Playbook.
    Funny too. Monster really emphasizes that this is a Blackberry compatible device. It works great with my Torch, iPod and even a Zune (remember them?).

I just checked what bluetooth profiles the Playbook is supposed to support.
    They don't include any type of audio or headset profile. No wonder the other kids make fun of us.

Dial-up Networking (DUN)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to a tethered mobile phone or other Internet-enabled device to access its Internet connection.

Human Interface Device (HID)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to a wireless keyboard.

Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to your BlackBerry smartphone through the BlackBerry Bridge application.
    12-31-12 08:00 AM
    Apologies in advance for beating a dead horse but.
    bigbaldbloke could you please confirm the microphone function of your Jabra Street 2?

Please and Thanks
    100% working off the Jabra mike mate.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-31-12 08:19 AM
    RocketFish RF-MAB2. Hands-free, stereo headset, 4 DSP profiles, BB friendly, good battery life. $20 on ebay.
    Trying to put together list of headsets with mike that works with PB apps. Voice Recorder would be an easy test - Need to hide the PB wel away because built in mikes are quite sensitive.
    thecsman - could you confirm that mike does work with the RF-MAB2?
    12-31-12 09:16 AM
    One more question

I found that I could get the Blackberry HS-700 at a good price. Then I found an article explaining how to pair HS-700 with Playbook.
    I am sure all of it's features won't be available, but is there any reason not to consider this product?
    I asked about this on the BB community site. Had a response there from someone who tried the HS-700 with his PB and he said the mike did not work.

So far it seems the Jabra Street and the Samsung WEP870 are only confirmed units where mike will work with PB app such as Voice Recorder.

Puzzled as to why some would work and others not. Need to know what it is about the specs of those that work that makes them work!

It would be good to get a few more data points!

For now, I am going to use a wired headset that I happened to have, so no urgency here. A BT unit would be good.
    12-31-12 09:23 AM
    I just tried a Monster ClarityHD speaker.
    It has a built-in mic but it does not work with the Playbook.
    Funny too. Monster really emphasizes that this is a Blackberry compatible device. It works great with my Torch, iPod and even a Zune (remember them?).

I just checked what bluetooth profiles the Playbook is supposed to support.
    They don't include any type of audio or headset profile. No wonder the other kids make fun of us.

Dial-up Networking (DUN)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to a tethered mobile phone or other Internet-enabled device to access its Internet connection.

Human Interface Device (HID)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to a wireless keyboard.

Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    Your tablet uses this profile to connect to your BlackBerry smartphone through the BlackBerry Bridge application.
    I think you'll find that A2DP came with OS2.0.

One point that may be worth noting - when I paired my Jabra and then looked at its properties on the Playbook it lists Audio/Video Remote Control and A2DP. Might be worth seeing if those with mics that don't work do the same.
    12-31-12 11:07 AM
    I have the Motorola S9-HD , they work well for music, dont know if the mic works as I dont have a use for it on the playbook. I paid about 45 a few years ago. I know they have newer models out now, I assume they are probably better but dont know so read reviews on them first. When using them for my blackberry phone I never have any problems and people say they sound good. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by rottonj; 12-31-12 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added more info
    12-31-12 04:50 PM
    I think you'll find that A2DP came with OS2.0.

One point that may be worth noting - when I paired my Jabra and then looked at its properties on the Playbook it lists Audio/Video Remote Control and A2DP. Might be worth seeing if those with mics that don't work do the same.
    The bluetooth specs. I quoted are from the 2.1 manual.
    Obviously it is supporting A2DP but RIM isn't showing it.

My Meelectronics headset and the Monster speaker are both shown as A2DP and Audio/Video Remote Control.
    The mic doesn't work on either device.
    01-01-13 02:19 PM
    I acquired a very cheap bluetooth headset just to play around with.

I was able to get it to pair with the Playbook and it shows up right under the keyboard. It says A2DP.

When I tap on the headset icon, it gives option to connect. But then it never does.

I tried turning headset on & off during the connect operation, but PB sees that and gives an error message.

Not a big deal, but if anyone has an idea that I could try I am all ears
    01-02-13 06:54 PM

I was able to get it to pair with the Playbook and it shows up right under the keyboard. It says A2DP.

When I tap on the headset icon, it gives option to connect. But then it never does.

I tried turning headset on & off during the connect operation, but PB sees that and gives an error message.

Not sure how to fix but what kind did you get?
    01-02-13 07:07 PM

I can get the same type of issue with my Samsung WEP870 if I don't follow the BT pairing instructions for the Samsung exactly. With mine, I have to first hold the phone connection button down while turning on the power. I have to wait until the BT symbol comes up on the little LED display and then I can let off the phone button. Then I can ask the PB to pair. If I don't follow that sequence exactly, the PB sees the headset but won't pair.
    01-02-13 07:12 PM
    I can get the same type of issue with my Samsung WEP870 if I don't follow the BT pairing instructions for the Samsung exactly. With mine, I have to first hold the phone connection button down while turning on the power. I have to wait until the BT symbol comes up on the little LED display and then I can let off the phone button. Then I can ask the PB to pair. If I don't follow that sequence exactly, the PB sees the headset but won't pair.
    I didn't have any trouble with the initial pairing. It knew it was Audio, then under icon for headset is says A2DP. It appears to be ready to use, but when I chose it, and tap on Connect, it just doesn't connect. Maybe there is something I must do when I tap connect. Will try again tomorrow. I am sure the mike won't work.

Dr.Boom - I actually bought a wired earbud set with mike. It is a no-name works fine. The Bluetooth earsets were in a bin at check out and so cheap I am too embarresed to mention price Made in China - TrueBlue or something like that. Just typical cheap junk, but OK just to mess with. Would probably work fine with one of our phones.
    01-02-13 09:45 PM

My Meelectronics headset and the Monster speaker are both shown as A2DP and Audio/Video Remote Control.
    The mic doesn't work on either device.
    Lazy manual updating I guess. They do list it, but not in such a straightforward place - it's in a knowledgebase article.

For those having trouble connecting, I had exactly the same problem with my Jabra until I managed to get it into manual discovery mode. If I "just" turned it on then it showed in my BT device list, but wouldn't connect. It took a bit of hunting to find how to get it into discovery mode, as it's programmed to only be visible on its very first powering up.
    01-03-13 01:44 AM
    For those having trouble connecting, I had exactly the same problem with my Jabra until I managed to get it into manual discovery mode. If I "just" turned it on then it showed in my BT device list, but wouldn't connect. It took a bit of hunting to find how to get it into discovery mode, as it's programmed to only be visible on its very first powering up.
    Thanks for that - I will see if I can get this el cheapo to do same.
    01-03-13 08:26 AM
    Does the headset microphone work?
    Please disregard my mental segmentation fault.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 01-03-13 at 10:54 AM.
    01-03-13 08:55 AM
    That depends on who you're talking to!
    01-03-13 10:05 AM
    Plantronics Backbeat 903+
    01-03-13 11:51 PM
61 123