Background: I subscribe to the TMobile USA cellular service and have a voice/message/data plan. I've been using an old Nokia semismart phone with a Symbian OS. I'm able to make a bluetooth connection between that phone and my Playbooks, then use the Playbook's Internet Tethering feature to use the TMobile data service at no extra charge.

Currently: I bought the low-priced Nokia Lumia 521 from TMobile, which runs Windows 8 Phone software. Altho I can make bluetooth connections between the Lumia 521 and bluetooth headsets/earpieces, I cannot make bluetooth connections between the Lumia 521 and either of my two Playbooks, or the Lumia 521 and my Microsoft bluetooth keyboard.

Initial research leads me to believe that Microsoft may have deliberately prevented its Windows 8 Phones from connecting to bluetooth keyboards. Why? Microsoft being Microsoft? Microsoft not wanting Windows 8 Phones to compete with its tablets? I dont know.

Question: Has anyone been able to bluetooth connect a Playbook to a Windows 8 Phone?

If affirmative, has anyone then been able to set up the Playbooks Internet Tethering feature in conjunction with that Windows 8 Phone?

Altho the Lumia 521's OS is relatively smooth (and it runs on 512 megs of RAM) and there are some features of the Lumia 521 that I like, including its Nokia mapping features, there are also some aspects of the phone I find very annoying. Among them:

1. AFAIK, the Windows 8 Phone software doesnt allow the creation of folders in local storage (including microSD cards) for holding and arranging user-created .pdf, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files. Have to use Skydrive (free up to a limit) or some other cloud-based storage.

2. The versions of Word and PowerPoint installed on phone are limited versions. The PowerPoint wont play the audio portion of a PowerPoint file that my old Nokia Symbian OS phone plays. The Word doesnt show footnotes on some Word documents.

3. Silverlight is Microsofts creation. But the Windows Phone wont handle some or all Silverlight webpages without apps being created for said Silverlight webpages.
    09-24-13 03:20 AM
    I'm not sure what your carrier rules are but the phone should be able to create a wireless hot spot that the playbook can then connect to. You don't need BT to do that it is all wifi though I have heard of some carriers charging for it.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 04:20 AM
    For what its worth, my wife has a Lumia 800 running Win 7.5. I wanted to transfer some photos from her phone to my Torch 9810 using Bluetooth. I managed to pair them OK, but when trying to transfer the files the connection would keep on dropping. I just gave up in the end.
    09-24-13 07:25 AM
    If you are trying to Pair the PB to another BT device to transfer files - the PB has never had the protocols that allow file transfer. I am not a hotspot person - my carrier charges extra and the pb can do that bridged with a BB phone.
    09-24-13 08:51 AM
    Background: I subscribe to the TMobile USA cellular service and have a voice/message/data plan. I've been using an old Nokia semismart phone with a Symbian OS. I'm able to make a bluetooth connection between that phone and my Playbooks, then use the Playbook's Internet Tethering feature to use the TMobile data service at no extra charge.

Currently: I bought the low-priced Nokia Lumia 521 from TMobile, which runs Windows 8 Phone software. Altho I can make bluetooth connections between the Lumia 521 and bluetooth headsets/earpieces, I cannot make bluetooth connections between the Lumia 521 and either of my two Playbooks, or the Lumia 521 and my Microsoft bluetooth keyboard.

Initial research leads me to believe that Microsoft may have deliberately prevented its Windows 8 Phones from connecting to bluetooth keyboards. Why? Microsoft being Microsoft? Microsoft not wanting Windows 8 Phones to compete with its tablets? I don’t know.

Question: Has anyone been able to bluetooth connect a Playbook to a Windows 8 Phone?

If affirmative, has anyone then been able to set up the Playbook’s Internet Tethering feature in conjunction with that Windows 8 Phone?

Altho the Lumia 521's OS is relatively smooth (and it runs on 512 megs of RAM) and there are some features of the Lumia 521 that I like, including its Nokia mapping features, there are also some aspects of the phone I find very annoying. Among them:

1. AFAIK, the Windows 8 Phone software doesn’t allow the creation of folders in local storage (including microSD cards) for holding and arranging user-created .pdf, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files. Have to use Skydrive (free up to a limit) or some other cloud-based storage.

2. The versions of Word and PowerPoint installed on phone are limited versions. The PowerPoint won’t play the audio portion of a PowerPoint file that my old Nokia Symbian OS phone plays. The Word doesn’t show footnotes on some Word documents.

3. Silverlight is Microsoft’s creation. But the Windows Phone won’t handle some or all Silverlight webpages without apps being created for said Silverlight webpages.
    Windows Phone 8 does not support a file manager. All apps (files) run sandboxed so there is no way a file manager would have access to them. I don't think any mobile OS supports Silverlight and MS was supposed to retire that like Adobe quit supporting Mobile Flash.
    09-24-13 09:19 AM
    You don't need BT to do that it is all wifi though I have heard of some carriers charging for it.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, but TMobile would require me to change my plan to be able to create mobile wi-fi hot spots. Be about $30/month more than I currently pay.

Much as I'd like to be paying T-Mobile another $30/month. . . .
    09-24-13 10:59 AM
    For what its worth, my wife has a Lumia 800 running Win 7.5. I wanted to transfer some photos from her phone to my Torch 9810 using Bluetooth. I managed to pair them OK, but when trying to transfer the files the connection would keep on dropping. I just gave up in the end.
    In the TMobile store, when my salesperson tried to pair my old Nokia with the newer Nokia Lumia 521, he was having problems but apparently eventually succeeded. I haven't had a reason to try said pairing on my own, so I don't have direct experience in that area.
    09-24-13 11:01 AM
    If you are trying to Pair the PB to another BT device to transfer files - the PB has never had the protocols that allow file transfer. I am not a hotspot person - my carrier charges extra and the pb can do that bridged with a BB phone.
    I'm still sitting on the fence re: a BB phone, partly due to uncertainty re: Blackberry's future combined with my preference to buy my phones up front.
    09-24-13 11:07 AM
    Windows Phone 8 does not support a file manager. All apps (files) run sandboxed so there is no way a file manager would have access to them. I don't think any mobile OS supports Silverlight and MS was supposed to retire that like Adobe quit supporting Mobile Flash.
    I believe that, altho Microsoft has said that it will stop developing future versions of Silverlight, it will continue to "support" Silverlight 5 for several more years, depending on the web browser. I haven't researched what "support" means in this context.
    09-24-13 11:13 AM