Was considering buying a Bluetooth Hipstreet mini keyboard to use with the PB. Has anyone tried a keyboard yet and what is it's functionality ? Is it only good for entering text like in Word or are you somehow able to navigate around the PB ?
    My goal would be to hook it up to my tv and sit away from it and use the keyboard...wishful thinking ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback....option 2 is to go and buy it,charge it,set it up and figure it out...

Cheers,
    heavy
    05-25-11 03:12 PM
    I have a bluetooth keyboard and it works great. I have a ThinkOutside Stowaway Universal Bluetooth keyboard that folds open from its compact design. This keyboard is about 4 years old and I hardly used it. I actually bought it for my old Verizon Palm Treo 700w...my very first smartphone before I made the jump to BB. If I am correct, you can't even find this keyboard as it is no longer produced and ThinkOutside I believe was bought out by another company....iGo.

The keyboard connects easily to the PlayBook and works wonderfully. There are some keys that do not work like the Windows key, but no problem with me. I am so glad I kept this keyboard. It was sitting on my shelf all these years and has now found new life with my PlayBook. I plan on taking the keyboard and my PB on a business trip to Chicago next weekend and will use them for email and browsing while I am away.

I've included a screenshot of the keyboard being recognized by the PB and a quick pic of how I set up the PB to the keyboard. The PB is in my DODOcase and the case rests at an angle on the kickstand that is a part of the keyboard.
    05-26-11 03:08 AM
    So...bough it ..tested it...wasted enough time...
    Hipstreet Bluetooth Mini Keyboard
    Conclusion - junk...nuff said.
    cheers,
    heavy
    05-26-11 04:18 PM
    Apple wireless keyboard which I use with my iPad works well! Connected the Apple bluetooth mouse as too and that works just as well.
    05-26-11 04:33 PM
    Anyone used the Freedom Pro keyboard or have one that could give their opinion? I'm thinking about their keyborads

@OP. I used to have one for my old old old Palm V, and a Palm Clie :x Love those keyboards :3
    05-26-11 04:36 PM
    The only thing disappointing with the apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard is no scrolling in the web browser. Keyboard works fine for most tasks.
    05-26-11 04:45 PM
    I have been thinking about giving this Fabric Blutooth Keyboard a try.
    ThinkGeek :: Fabric Bluetooth Keyboard

I put in an inquiry at ThinkGeek to see if they can find out if it works with the PB.

UPDATE: I got a response back that said it works with ALL BT devices.
    Last edited by Kronk; 05-27-11 at 11:43 AM.
    05-26-11 05:12 PM
    I bought the Rii Mini as my second attempt. Two weeks in and it works really well. I got it off of Amazon. Perfect for controlling my PB while its hooked up to a TV.

Amazon.com: Rii Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad (RT-MWK01): Electronics
    05-26-11 11:50 PM
    I bought the Rii Mini as my second attempt. Two weeks in and it works really well. I got it off of Amazon. Perfect for controlling my PB while its hooked up to a TV.

Amazon.com: Rii Mini Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad (RT-MWK01): Electronics
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what kind of control it gives you ?

Cheers,
    heavy
    05-26-11 11:57 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me what kind of control it gives you ?

Cheers,
    heavy
    Almost full control. Right mouse button + edge swipes are the gestures. Use the arrow keys to scroll a website. Left mouse button + swipe works like touching the screen in most places. Only thing it doesn't work well with bridge apps. Not sure if it's the device or the apps themselves.
    05-27-11 04:25 PM
    Anyone used the Freedom Pro keyboard or have one that could give their opinion? I'm thinking about their keyborads

@OP. I used to have one for my old old old Palm V, and a Palm Clie :x Love those keyboards :3

I have a freedom universal keyboard2...old model...likely obsolete...but works like a charm so I'd assume the "pro" would too.
    05-27-11 06:39 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks all. Looked into the Rii unit a bit, looks like what I need...to bad it is $25 in the US and $55 in Canada !

Cheeers, heavy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 11:14 PM
    For testing purposes I connected my logitech DiNovo edge with built in trackpad to my pb. I then left my PB on the desk charger playing movies while I answered email and did some browsing. I am so happy with it that I may by another of those keyboards...

PG
    05-28-11 09:40 AM
    I have been thinking about giving this Fabric Blutooth Keyboard a try.
    ThinkGeek :: Fabric Bluetooth Keyboard

I put in an inquiry at ThinkGeek to see if they can find out if it works with the PB.

UPDATE: I got a response back that said it works with ALL BT devices.
    Had a similar one before. They are terrible to type on. The keys are not springy at all. It takes real effort to push each key. You can forget about touch typing. Maybe ok for five minute or so, but anything longer is really not feasible.
    05-28-11 09:45 AM
    I got the Freedom Pro keyboard about a week ago and have used it to take notes and a few meetings since then. Keyboard works great. I like the size and when folded it's easy to carry around with my PB.

Only glitch I've noticed is that I've had to pair it with my PB each time I have used it. I don't know if that is a permanent limitation or if it's just because I'm not doing the pairing quite right. (I haven't researched the problem yet.)

Still, I would definitely buy it again.
    05-28-11 04:29 PM
    Apple wireless keyboard which I use with my iPad works well! Connected the Apple bluetooth mouse as too and that works just as well.
    I also have the apple bluetooth keyboard and it works great. I bought the apple bluetooth "magic" mouse and it worked too, except for scrolling. So, i gave it to my son to go with his mac laptop. I replaced it with the logitech bluetooth mouse model V470. It works great and the scroll wheel functions just fine.
    05-28-11 04:42 PM
    For testing purposes I connected my logitech DiNovo edge with built in trackpad to my pb. I then left my PB on the desk charger playing movies while I answered email and did some browsing. I am so happy with it that I may by another of those keyboards...

PG
    Can you confirm that the Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard/trackpab works with the playbook? Do you get the full control of the bezel gestures and scrolling etc?
    05-31-11 02:34 AM
    Do the cursor keys (the arrows) work inside Word2Go, the bridge email app etc for moving the cursor? This would be mega-useful
    05-31-11 04:27 AM
    I got the Freedom Pro keyboard about a week ago and have used it to take notes and a few meetings since then. Keyboard works great. I like the size and when folded it's easy to carry around with my PB.

Only glitch I've noticed is that I've had to pair it with my PB each time I have used it. I don't know if that is a permanent limitation or if it's just because I'm not doing the pairing quite right. (I haven't researched the problem yet.)

Still, I would definitely buy it again.
    How noisy is the Freedom Pro to type on? I am often in large meetings with mics on the table for people "dialing in" by phone. The clickety-clack of cheep keyboards really annoys those on the phone.

I am currently between two Targus models and the Freedom Pro. The iPad Targus model was my first try, and it has lots of lag issues. The non-iPad version of the same Targus keyboard should be coming this week. If that doesn't work for me, the Freedom Pro is my next choice.

I am not interested in "chicklet" keyboards - those are not useful for my needs. I need the keys to be offset - the same as they are on a standard keyboard. I find the strict grid of chicklet keyboards impossible to type on.

Here are some Amazon links to help people know what I am talking about.

Amazon.com: Targus Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard for Apple iPad 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WiFi and WiFi + 3G, iPad 2 with Smart Keys AKB32US (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Targus Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard for Tablets - Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy AKB33US (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Freedom Pro Bluetooth Portable Folding Keyboard for Apple iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Android, Symbian Smartphones and other HID Enabled Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories
    05-31-11 08:26 AM
    bumpty bump - anyone?
    06-02-11 11:59 AM
    I've had good luck with the Freedom Pro. It is not loud at all.

The key positions are a little non-standard. For instance, the b key, which I usually hit with my left hand is on the right side of the fold in the keyboard, so I have to either reach far or hit it with my right hand. The n key and the right side space key take a little extra effort to make sure they register when I hit them. They also tried to jam in too many functions, so the number keys are smaller than they should be, and it's hard to get used to their positions.

Otherwise, it's great. Paired it once, and it just works now. The size is just about right. I haven't noticed too much lag, but it is noticeably slower than my computer. I'm not sure if that's the keyboard or the PlayBook.

I'm not sure what you mean by "chicklet" keyboards, but the keys on the Freedom Pro are offset like a normal keyboard. They keys are similar to laptop keys and are about 85% of a full size keyboard. I haven't had a problem with the smaller size, but someone with larger fingers might.
    06-02-11 01:07 PM
    I have a bluetooth keyboard and it works great. I have a ThinkOutside Stowaway Universal Bluetooth keyboard that folds open from its compact design. This keyboard is about 4 years old and I hardly used it. I actually bought it for my old Verizon Palm Treo 700w...my very first smartphone before I made the jump to BB. If I am correct, you can't even find this keyboard as it is no longer produced and ThinkOutside I believe was bought out by another company....iGo.

The keyboard connects easily to the PlayBook and works wonderfully. There are some keys that do not work like the Windows key, but no problem with me. I am so glad I kept this keyboard. It was sitting on my shelf all these years and has now found new life with my PlayBook. I plan on taking the keyboard and my PB on a business trip to Chicago next weekend and will use them for email and browsing while I am away.

I've included a screenshot of the keyboard being recognized by the PB and a quick pic of how I set up the PB to the keyboard. The PB is in my DODOcase and the case rests at an angle on the kickstand that is a part of the keyboard.
    That's really neat. Thanks for the information! I have the wireless IR keyboard from thinkoutside for my Palm Tungsten and an older wired one. Now I just have to build a circuit to convert it to BT
    03-25-12 10:12 PM
    I have the rim bluetooth and the hipstreet.

The rim is small, well designed and looks great. The keys have a chicklet style and feel ok. The playbook fits beautifully into the top mount. Looks great. The mouse pad is awesome. Only thing i can see wrong is the case has no opening for a power cord when the unit is folded for shutdown/sleep.

The hipstreet is a larger magnetic keyboard. Easily removable and good feel all around. No mouse pad. Kind of a wired power button - reversed colors. It has a nice feel to it, the case can be flipped over without the keyboard to give a real nice holding platform to read ect. The unit is larger all around, the end kind of sticks out past the keyboard - due to the design of the folding.

The hipstreet holds the playbook well and secure in a 3 wall with a folding flap on the bottom to slide the playbook in and out. The edges cover nicely, but they can interfere with my large fingers when doing the edge swipe gestures and for scrolling. To activate after sleep you need to hold a button down until you get the red corner indicator on your screen, then type away.

The costs were quite similar. The battery life of the rim is better, but both use mini usb to charge. Quickly too. The rim power button is under the left holding band, odd placement as it is kind of hidden. Too bad the rim keybord is not magnetic, that would make it a perfect setup.

I will be carefully altering the case to allow for a plug in while it is folded. I typed this on the rim keyboard. Quick and precise. I do notice the smaller size, but it is not something that would be a deal breaker for me.

I like both keyboards.

04-05-12 12:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD