Bluetooth button is greyed out when i pair my galaxy mini phone can anyone here explain why this is please is the phone not supported dont tell me after aying money for the playbook blackberry still dont have there act together is this true?
    01-03-12 05:33 PM
    Currently, the Bluetooth is only used for bridging your Playbook to your Blackberry phone, allowing you to access your email, contacts, BBMs, and other data on the Blackberry. Non-Blackberry phones cannot be bridged. When OS 2 officially arrives, which is supposed to be sometime next month, there is supposed to be additional functionality, including the ability to use Bluetooth headsets with the Playbook. Take the time to enjoy the Playbook as it is and shortly it will be even better!
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 05:51 PM
    Currently, the Bluetooth is only used for bridging your Playbook to your Blackberry phone, allowing you to access your email, contacts, BBMs, and other data on the Blackberry. Non-Blackberry phones cannot be bridged. When OS 2 officially arrives, which is supposed to be sometime next month, there is supposed to be additional functionality, including the ability to use Bluetooth headsets with the Playbook. Take the time to enjoy the Playbook as it is and shortly it will be even better!
    thank you very much for replying but how comes i have seen nokia getting connected via bluetooth on youtube how is it possible if wat you have said is right?
    01-03-12 05:53 PM
    Hi gtiffany, i believe the OP is talking about tethering and not bridging. OP, could you please post a pic of your screen so we can see? Hold the up and down volume to screen capture.
    01-03-12 05:56 PM
    Hi gtiffany, i believe the OP is talking about tethering and not bridging. OP, could you please post a pic of your screen so we can see? Hold the up and down volume to screen capture.
    actually i dont have acess to take the pic and upload but it has connected my phone via bluetooth but on home screen there is a black box which i hot the bluetooth sign that say no connected devices please let me know if you need further info

if i hit properties in bluetooth menu under services it has no services avaible and there is another button which says connect device but it is grey out with no option of pressing the button
    Last edited by blackberry devices; 01-03-12 at 06:08 PM.
    01-03-12 06:03 PM
    A pic of the greyed out bluetooth button would be a good start. It is grey on your pb, am I correct?
    01-03-12 06:07 PM
    A pic of the greyed out bluetooth button would be a good start. It is grey on your pb, am I correct?
    correct on the playbook i have tried the give as much info above in writing sorry i have no acess to take the pic my phone has not emough memory to do so

please help me out spike i have been trying for ages
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bluetooth menu

bluetooth con on

discoverable on

paired devices

galaxy phone

properties add new device
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

menu 2

device name galaxy

device add 12 xx x xx 6 not actual number

connect device button( grey out button)
    Last edited by blackberry devices; 01-03-12 at 06:16 PM.
    01-03-12 06:10 PM
    Did you try using the Internet Tethering option and get your paired galaxy phone to connect you to the Internet?
    01-03-12 06:22 PM
    How did you go about trying to tether your connection?

Try this (if you haven't already):

1. From the main screen, click on the gear icon in the top right corner
    2. From the list on the left click on internet tethering
    3. It will say Turn on blue tooth (if you dont' already have it on)
    4. Choose a device to tether to (Your samsung should be there if it is paired)
    5. Search for the profile that corresponds with your phone carrier eg. Sprint, Verizon,etc.
    After that it should connect.. did you go through similar steps in your setup?
    01-03-12 06:23 PM
    How did you go about trying to tether your connection?

Try this (if you haven't already):

1. From the main screen, click on the gear icon in the top right corner
    2. From the list on the left click on internet tethering
    3. It will say Turn on blue tooth (if you dont' already have it on)
    4. Choose a device to tether to (Your samsung should be there if it is paired)
    5. Search for the profile that corresponds with your phone carrier eg. Sprint, Verizon,etc.
    After that it should connect.. did you go through similar steps in your setup?

yes your right the samsung is there once i have gone throught the steps last step is choose network then message carrier charges may apply then i press continue connecting screen then a message samsung not found no devices connected but it is showing up in the previous whats going on
    01-03-12 06:32 PM
    The phone is not compatible with the PlayBook. I got the same results with my wife's iPhone 4s using Bluetooth. It would pair, but no services were available. In the case of the iPhone, the wifi hotspot feature of the phone worked and we could connect the PlayBook that (wifi ) way.

There must be a number of Bluetooth protocols and some phones use a protocol not supported by the PlayBook.

Some of the Android phone also have problems using their wifi hotspot feature with the Playbook as well.
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-03-12 at 06:47 PM.
    01-03-12 06:45 PM
    The phone is not compatible with the PlayBook. I got the same results with my wife's iPhone 4s using Bluetooth. It would pair, but no services were available. In the case of the iPhone, the wifi hotspot feature of the phone worked and we could connect the PlayBook that (wifi ) way.

There must be a number of Bluetooth protocols and some phones use a protocol not supported by the PlayBook.

Some of the Android phone also have problems using their wifi hotspot feature with the Playbook as well.
    thankyou very much rob steve post solved

STEVE ARE YOU ABLE TO USE BT OPENZONE IN THE IPHONE HOTSPT MANER ? BTW
    Last edited by blackberry devices; 01-03-12 at 06:52 PM.
    01-03-12 06:48 PM
    Steve are you able to use bt openzone in the iphone hotspt maner ? Btw

steve? btw thankyou spike for trying to help thanks steve alot for helping would have been her all day lol

HOW DO WE ADDRESS THIS PROBLEM TO BLACKBERRY MOST PEOPLE HAVE AN ANDROID PHONE IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT THIS IS VERY STUPID ON PLAYBOOKS PART SINCE THEY ARE GETTING ANDROID APP PLAYER ON TO THE PLAYBOOK SO WHY NOT SUPPORT ANDROID PHONES AS WELL OR IS ANDROID TO BLAME FOR THISAFTER ALL ANDROID PHONES DO HAVE ANDROID MARKET INSTALLED ON THERE THTS WHY EVERYONE GOT A ANDROID AND IPHONES BOTH WHICH ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY PLAYBOOK THETHING OPTION REAL SHAMES BRINGS US TO?

do you know which phones are compatable android iphones???
    Last edited by blackberry devices; 01-03-12 at 07:03 PM.
    01-03-12 06:52 PM
    Blackberry Devices,
    are you living in the USA? If you are you will need to contact your carrier and sign up for their tethering plan. Also, try deleting both PB and Phone devices from Bluetooth and reboot both devices leaving them off for 2 minutes before trying spike12's instructions
    01-03-12 06:59 PM
    Blackberry Devices,
    are you living in the USA? If you are you will need to contact your carrier and sign up for their tethering plan. Also, try deleting both PB and Phone devices from Bluetooth and reboot both devices leaving them off for 2 minutes before trying spike12's instructions
    thanks Hgouck i understand about the data plans i do have one if not that would be some hefty data charges per mb which i do not want lol i have a data plan

btw i will give you suggestion a try and post here to let you know the results

many thanks
    01-03-12 07:05 PM
    A data plan is not necessarily a tethering plan in the USA. You might want to check with your carrier to be sure. I know AT&T and Verizon charge to tether.
    01-03-12 07:09 PM
    Sorry I couldn't be of further help, bbdevices. Hopefully they will fix this in their upcoming update.. Another option would be to use wifi hotspot if you have that available on your phone.
    01-03-12 07:11 PM
    hgouck i have a tethering plan so its ok

quote hgouck
    Blackberry Devices,
    are you living in the USA? If you are you will need to contact your carrier and sign up for their tethering plan. Also, try deleting both PB and Phone devices from Bluetooth and reboot both devices leaving them off for 2 minutes before trying spike12's instructions @ quote

also a quick update i tried deleting the devices on both and waiting 2 mins then rebooting but still hasnt worked because it still needs to be fully paired not partial for the internet tethering to workoh well just have to wait for the rim to fix this issue maybe in a furture update using hotspot feature for now

many thanks all
    Last edited by blackberry devices; 01-05-12 at 11:10 AM.
    01-05-12 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD