On the official Bluetooth website, the Playbook is listed as Bluetooth 3.1.

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/EPL_De...roductID=20291
    zzbsb and Rello like this.
    03-13-12 04:14 PM
    On the official Bluetooth website, the Playbook is listed as Bluetooth 3.1.

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/EPL_De...roductID=20291
    That is a great find my friend. Makes me wonder if they plan on writing another Bluetooth stack in the future.

To comment on another post (sorry I did lot quote it...) but it relates to the power comments consumption that BT3 & 4 have, the idea is that they perform the same action at a fraction of the time it takes for an earlier version of BT might take. So even if they are higher in power use, they're drastically lower in time used. Which, in theory should he less stressful on the battery in the long run.
    03-13-12 05:08 PM
    wow, thanks guys. that's very interesting to know.
    03-13-12 06:09 PM
    So, to sum it up from the collective minds here:

The PlayBook has a chip that supports up to BT4, but, only 2.1 is currently enabled. It is yet to be determined if it is possible or even likely that RIM will update the software to use the higher BT standards.

For me, I would greatly appreciate a BT 3.0 at minimum. The reason for this - for my needs - is to increase the speed at which a Bridge session can communicate with the PB. With my Bold 9900 on its way, I can enjoy an increase in browser speed when enablingWiFi hotspot. But, bridge still has a use for me since some sites I need to visit are enabled through the BES connection behind our firewall. So, even if I have a faster "4G" with my new handset over my current 3G Torch, I'm still limited to 2.1 BT.

I'd prefer the option of 3.0 even if battery usage takes a hit because I can alway charge in the car or plugin somewhere.

Nevertheless, I'm very impressed with the PB and I'm eagerly awaiting the 9900 this week.
    03-13-12 06:53 PM
    ^^yeah I'm confused too....that site in the link says the playbook "supports" BT3.1 but is it actually utilizing it is the question

Must admit, I had mine at work with me (Home Depot) and noticed my 9900 was connected to my Playbook even though though the PlayBook was at the COMPLETE opposite end of the store. Pair that with this thread and I'm intrigued lol
    03-13-12 07:06 PM
    ^^yeah I'm confused too....that site in the link says the playbook "supports" BT3.1 but is it actually utilizing it is the question

Must admit, I had mine at work with me (Home Depot) and noticed my 9900 was connected to my Playbook even though though the PlayBook was at the COMPLETE opposite end of the store. Pair that with this thread and I'm intrigued lol
    If you press the technical information button, you will find that they tested the Playbook with a bunch of bluetooth tests, the profiles available...
    03-13-12 07:11 PM
    If you press the technical information button, you will find that they tested the Playbook with a bunch of bluetooth tests, the profiles available...
    Not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Are you saying that these were the Profiles/protocols available for the OS2 update?
    03-13-12 07:22 PM
    Not exactly sure what I'm looking at. Are you saying that these were the Profiles/protocols available for the OS2 update?
    It was test with OS 2.0.0.7531_126632.

https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=18981
    03-13-12 07:52 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD