Funny thing, I'm watching Bloomberg (cause its in English over here and I have little choice) anyway their talking CES. How Apple not even being there are stealing the show. Further that Ford is in the forefront of development for in car connections but that Apple not even being involved yet, is sure to dominate in the future. NO Mention of QNX. Big surprise..
    They did mention RIM though, that apple is eating their lunch and theres little hope
    Sure would be nice to have a little international media on RIMs side.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 01-10-12 at 01:10 AM.
    01-10-12 01:05 AM
    I thought we'd have jet packs by now. Oh, I forgot. We do have them... they're on the International Space Station.
    This will probably be as close as we get:

01-10-12 01:16 AM
    I am so glad I get to talk about porsches.

My thoughts on the porsche carrera QNX concept car:

I like porsche, and I like blackberry, but I don't like this concept design. I know it is just a concept car, but the fit and finish is terrible. Here are some things I don't like about the car:

First of all, porsche is not one of those companies that has the latest and greatest computerized technologies loaded in their cars (I believe that title would go to Lexus). So the fact that porsche even attempted to move in this direction is a shocker to me. I more associate porsche with raw performance...as opposed to the GTR, which is very computerized.

Secondly, there is no room in the back seat of porsche carrera to fit an adult. Unless you want a tablet 2 inches from your noise, I don't see the point. But the thing that bothers me the most is that the tablet isn't integrated into the seat. It looks really tacky with the tablet just hanging out there. I would like to be able to insert the tablet into the back rest, and pull it out when I am done. Designers got lazy here for sure.

Lastly, the tablet on the dashboard is very odd. If you tick off the sport chrono package, you get the stop clock exactly where that tablet is. It looks like this:

Anyways, we refer to the stop clock in the center of the dashboard as the wart...because it is really out of place and really sticks out like a sore thumb. The new screen that they added, which I assume is in place of the physical and analogue stop watch, looks exponentially worst. It just doesn't look right.

What I do like is that they kept the rev counter in the center of the dials. That is porsche heritage right there to have the rev counter there instead of the speedometer. I just wish they had spent more time envisioning this concept car. This project seemed very rushed. I like the idea, but I don't like the execution.
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 01-10-12 at 01:52 AM.
    01-10-12 01:32 AM
    ^^ I thought you might be stopping by eventually Pearl .....surprised it took so long...
    Thanks for adding your expertise. I'm imagining Porsche had little to do with this other than providing the car.

I agree the playbook doesn't make a very good airbag in the back seat....they did get lazy, but it's probably QNX not Porsche.
    The "concept" is more to highlight the electronics.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-10-12 at 02:32 AM.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    01-10-12 02:27 AM
    Hey Blackjack, another great thread.

Remember this one from last year as well?
    Jaguar XJ with BlackBerry integration hands-on
    01-10-12 09:07 AM
    what I've read so far about RIM at CES is impressive. All the "haters" are gonna write bad stuff regardless... I'm just happy for the extensive list of goodies per their press release this morning.

Excellent "countervailing post".

Shouldn't you be in Vegas if you like Blackjack so much?
    On that note, BGR has been strangely quiet... I'm scared... What could be be planning to "exclusively report from one of his many annonimous sources" this time?
    01-10-12 09:31 AM
    It is quite odd that not a single BB related post has come out on that site isnt it? lol
    01-10-12 09:32 AM
    I am so glad I get to talk about porsches.

My thoughts on the porsche carrera QNX concept car:

I like porsche, and I like blackberry, but I don't like this concept design. I know it is just a concept car, but the fit and finish is terrible. Here are some things I don't like about the car:

First of all, porsche is not one of those companies that has the latest and greatest computerized technologies loaded in their cars (I believe that title would go to Lexus). So the fact that porsche even attempted to move in this direction is a shocker to me. I more associate porsche with raw performance...as opposed to the GTR, which is very computerized.

Secondly, there is no room in the back seat of porsche carrera to fit an adult. Unless you want a tablet 2 inches from your noise, I don't see the point. But the thing that bothers me the most is that the tablet isn't integrated into the seat. It looks really tacky with the tablet just hanging out there. I would like to be able to insert the tablet into the back rest, and pull it out when I am done. Designers got lazy here for sure.

Lastly, the tablet on the dashboard is very odd. If you tick off the sport chrono package, you get the stop clock exactly where that tablet is. It looks like this:

Click to view quoted image

Anyways, we refer to the stop clock in the center of the dashboard as the wart...because it is really out of place and really sticks out like a sore thumb. The new screen that they added, which I assume is in place of the physical and analogue stop watch, looks exponentially worst. It just doesn't look right.

What I do like is that they kept the rev counter in the center of the dials. That is porsche heritage right there to have the rev counter there instead of the speedometer. I just wish they had spent more time envisioning this concept car. This project seemed very rushed. I like the idea, but I don't like the execution.
    When I had my Carrera I hand no problem putting an adult in the back. It had more room back there than my 356C.
    01-10-12 09:45 AM
    On that note, BGR has been strangely quiet... I'm scared... What could be be planning to "exclusively report from one of his many annonimous sources" this time?
    That he is his own source?
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-10-12 09:47 AM
    Sure would be nice to have a little international media on RIMs side.
    Or any major media outlet for that matter . . .
    01-10-12 04:44 PM
    I haven't looked at the videos and such, but do they say anything to suggest Porsche was actually involved in this?

In the past, QNX has gone and modded various cars entirely on their own. This one could be the same...

And why use a Porsche? Obviously to catch people's eyes and draw attention. It doesn't need to be the best match-up for any reason beyond that.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    01-10-12 04:50 PM
    When I had my Carrera I hand no problem putting an adult in the back. It had more room back there than my 356C.
    Are we talking about full grown adult men? The backseat of my 997 is much larger than the 356's or the 911's of yesteryear, and my head would hit the roof if my 911 goes over a bump. I would much rather use a different car if I have to transport 4 people. I have only been able to fit petite women who are no taller than 5'6"

I also think it is time for you to get another 911.

^^ I thought you might be stopping by eventually Pearl .....surprised it took so long...
    Thanks for adding your expertise. I'm imagining Porsche had little to do with this other than providing the car.
    Haha blackjack. It took me a little while longer to respond because I have work.

I agree the playbook doesn't make a very good airbag in the back seat....
    Too bad there is no app for that. I kid I kid

I haven't looked at the videos and such, but do they say anything to suggest Porsche was actually involved in this?

In the past, QNX has gone and modded various cars entirely on their own. This one could be the same...

And why use a Porsche? Obviously to catch people's eyes and draw attention. It doesn't need to be the best match-up for any reason beyond that.
    Hmmm...Good point. I have no idea what happened behind the scenes.
    01-11-12 01:03 AM
    The QNX stuff looks great. However, anyone who thinks that integrating that with Porsche will save RIM the way the iPod saved apple is dreaming. RIM needs to expand this beyond a luxury niche car brand for that to happen (although they can draw inspiration from the iPod, which also started as a Mac only product).

The new Brisge features, OTOH, look great and make bridge a feature in its own right rather than an apology for the failure to bring email to the PB.
    01-11-12 12:21 PM
    The QNX stuff looks great. However, anyone who thinks that integrating that with Porsche will save RIM the way the iPod saved apple is dreaming. RIM needs to expand this beyond a luxury niche car brand for that to happen (although they can draw inspiration from the iPod, which also started as a Mac only product).

The new Brisge features, OTOH, look great and make bridge a feature in its own right rather than an apology for the failure to bring email to the PB.

They are not just looking to partner exclusively with porsche. Its the bigger picture. The potential of partnering with multiple car companies who already employ QNX in their vehicles. If RIM can get on top of this before anyone else (unlikely, but possible) this will be something that everyone will use and become as commonplace as having an ipod. I think there is huge potential here for RIM. They just have to get it done. First.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    01-11-12 12:26 PM
    Obama doesn't want corporations sending anyone to Vegas anymore...
    the funds for that got redirected to the lunch catering for Bilderberg meetings. Oh dear, now the men in black suits just tagged me for a keyword. I expect I'll be disappearing into a FEMA camp any day now never to be heard from again
    01-11-12 12:31 PM

Porsche was not meant as a game saver.

Native email was meant to be part of PB but was not ready when the tablet went to market.
    01-11-12 12:35 PM
    Some people are missing the concept of the concept vehicle. This isn't the prototype for a PlayBook Porsche model. They are showing how QNX and the PB could work in a car. They used a Porsche because you can see the technology easily from outside plus the car itself will draw attention and people will look to see why it is at CES. It's like building a time machine out of a DeLorean. Functional and it looks cool.
    01-11-12 12:58 PM
    They are not just looking to partner exclusively with porsche. Its the bigger picture. The potential of partnering with multiple car companies who already employ QNX in their vehicles. If RIM can get on top of this before anyone else (unlikely, but possible) this will be something that everyone will use and become as commonplace as having an ipod. I think there is huge potential here for RIM. They just have to get it done. First.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Thank you. This is exactly what I am talking about. I think this is a major missed opportunity here to brand themselves as a premium brand. Many drool over porsches, the r8, and ///m3's, which are all powered by QNX. Rim would really do themselves a favor if they could create buzz and establish that association in people's minds.
    swiftex and spike12 like this.
    01-11-12 07:36 PM
    Best of Show 2012 Looks as if the Porsche was a hit!!
    01-12-12 02:24 PM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD