On May 13, RIM recalled 935 PBs and listed the affected serial numbers---which were all over the map. The only thing common was that they were all 16GB units shipped to Staples stores. The list: RIM recalls 900 faulty BlackBerry PlayBooks, here are the serial numbers (update) -- Engadget

So whereas no valid conclusions can be drawn from serial number alone, if the date on the box is indeed merely the boxing date, then it's reasonable to conclude that the unit was actually manufactured before it was boxed
    Didn't see any serial numbers there and I never said conclusions could be drawn from serial numbers alone, but yeah sort of thought it was obvious they were manufactured before they were boxed, but maybe it really needed to be stated just to be sure all understood that.

Now someone pry open your PB and post some pics showing dates or manufacturing codes.
    02-18-12 07:17 AM
    29/12/11 here.....now, why would they put 7 month old stock in a box in December, eh? Makes no sense.
    02-18-12 08:45 AM
    If you digest all 128 posts it seems to me that these are accurate
    manufacture dates. Even if they were partially built 6 month earlier
    they may have buttoned them up by installing a the battery and boxing them up.
    No one has a date later than when they received it.

One other clue that may help is what software came preloaded.
    I purchased mine December 22 and the build date was 4-21-11 it had
    older software I think 1.06.
    What software came with the later units dated Dec 11 or Jan 12
    02-18-12 08:49 AM
    I don't think that RIM would be putting all this effort into OS2 if they were going to stop manufacturing the PB......
    02-18-12 08:57 AM
    dunno, it did a mandatory update as soon as switched on.

Initially Currys/PC World had only a few units in stores, then they had more units in the warehouse for delivery, so a new shipment, at least.
    02-18-12 08:57 AM
    Can someone open his PlayBook and let see if there is some production timeframe traceability inside?

Anyway, I will be based my assumption that RIM is still producing PlayBook as per their continual support affirmation... not on some manufacturing dates...
    That ifixit picture I posted seems to have a larger resolution image on the site. It looks as if that label overlays the battery and the main unit. But it appears that that white label only had month/year on it when I looked. There might have been more coded into the tag. Since it was an early dissection, the label, if I recall, was 04/11

But there may be more date stuff.
    02-18-12 09:09 AM
    Individual components were manufactured at various locations and at various times.

Some are date stamped some not. Some date stamps are coded.

Assembly lines diverged. serial numbers are not sequential.

Assembly dates and box dates differ.

All PB manufacturing has stopped.
    And whats replacing it with ?
    02-18-12 11:31 AM
    02-18-12 11:42 AM
    My theory is, the label on the box is the "final assembly tag". It's printed in Taiwan upon a production order from Waterloo for N units. The tag accompanies all the major subassemblies down the assembly line. At some point, the tag is scanned and the same number is printed on the case. At another point, before the motherboard is installed, the latest software is loaded and the DSN and PIN are copied onto the mobo. Soon after the case is sealed, the tag is affixed to a box.

All this happens the same day---the date on the tag. Why is the date in clear text? For the same reason as a loaf of bread: so that retailers put the oldest units at the front of the shelf. Otherwise the Lipo battery may self-discharge too much, and then generate unnecessary customer support issues.
    02-18-12 11:53 AM
    Mine says 071211
    03-10-12 02:13 AM
    bringing this topic up again, a friend of mine said best buy told him they stop making Playbooks... is this true?
    05-06-12 10:37 PM
    With poor sales and BB10 coming I would not be surprised. Remember, they didn't announce anything about the playbook during their recent conference.

I just got my 64gb and love it. A great accompaniment for the 9900.

Also just ordered and will pick up my BB keyboard tomorrow!
    05-06-12 10:39 PM
    friend had to end up getting a Kindle Fire instead... He's bummed. however, he doesnt have the time to order one (person leaving for here tomorrow)
    05-06-12 10:44 PM
    My take on this is that RIM stopped making PBs after the first few batches (simply not cost effective to make it in small quantities I suppose). The sticker dates are probably packaging/repackaging dates.

Also, there was a discussion about the 485mln write-off, which, considering that inventory has to be recorded at cost (or market price, whichever is lower), may mean that RIM initially made/ordered more than 1.3 mln PBs and may still have a few hundred thousand remaining on the shelves in their backrooms.

As for future PB generations (e.g. PB 2, not the 3G/4G version of the current PB), I doubt we will see them soon. I am pretty sure RIM wants to re-establish itself in the smartphone market first.

These are my thoughts.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-07-12 at 02:20 AM.
    05-06-12 11:35 PM
    With poor sales and BB10 coming I would not be surprised. Remember, they didn't announce anything about the playbook during their recent conference.

I just got my 64gb and love it. A great accompaniment for the 9900.

Also just ordered and will pick up my BB keyboard tomorrow!

http://m.bgr.com/2012/05/02/4g-lte-playbook-confirmed/

"Research In Motion CEO Thorsten Heins at a press event on Wednesday confirmed that a 4G LTE PlayBook will launch by the end of this year. According to The Canadian Reviewer, the tablet will be equipped with an updated dual-core processor clocked at 1.5GHZ, will include NFC technology and look similar to the current BlackBerry PlayBook. BGR in January exclusively reported details about RIM’s plans to introduce a new PlayBook tablet around May or June that will be equipped with a 1.5GHz processor, built-in HSPA+ and NFC support. In March, a RIM tablet with HSPA+ and LTE radios passed through the FCC, confirming speculation regarding a 4G PlayBook."

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-07-12 01:42 AM
    RIM CEO confirms 4G LTE PlayBook

"Research In Motion CEO Thorsten Heins at a press event on Wednesday confirmed that a 4G LTE PlayBook will launch by the end of this year. According to The Canadian Reviewer, the tablet will be equipped with an updated dual-core processor clocked at 1.5GHZ, will include NFC technology and look similar to the current BlackBerry PlayBook. BGR in Januaryexclusively reporteddetails about RIM’s plans to introduce a new PlayBook tabletaround May or June that will be equipped with a 1.5GHz processor, built-in HSPA+ and NFC support. In March, aRIM tablet with HSPA+ and LTE radios passed through the FCC, confirming speculation regarding a 4G PlayBook."

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    That's great! Glad they didn't leave the market of tablets. I may skip the next version but will likely buy the one after. Will want to buy the new BB10 handset first.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-07-12 02:07 AM
    Hey cool I was wondering where the manufactured date was, thanks for this thread. Mine was made in 2012, on my birthday no less! haha that's awesome.
    270112 32GB model
    bungaboy likes this.
    05-07-12 02:54 AM
    My latest 64GB was built January 10, 2012
    05-25-12 01:20 PM
    My latest 64GB was built January 10, 2012
    or repackaged
    05-25-12 03:28 PM
    Are you sure its not 120311 ? There hasn't been one post for a build date
    past May..I wonder if the refurbs that BestBuy is selling creates new build dates ?
    Mine is June 6. 060611
    05-25-12 03:37 PM
    or repackaged
    New. Just bought it.
    05-25-12 04:11 PM
    or repackaged

Didn't RIM actually have to revamp production for a short while after the firesales?

I know that RIM did have a lot of these units but in some stores units couldn't seem to stay on the shelves, 32 GB for 149.99 brand new was a very sweet deal for those who managed to get that deal
    05-25-12 04:14 PM
    I am not saying it's not new.

It is possible that RIM/Quanta didn't produce any more Playbooks after the initial batch/batches. Why would they write-off almost half a billion in PB inventory and continue producing at a loss? Doesn't make any sense at all.

However, the dates you are seeing are probably packaging/repackaging dates, rather than manufacturing dates. I.e. it is likely that Quanta/RIM has the old batch of unpackaged Playbooks that get packaged in Taiwan or maybe even in the country of destination.
    The write-off of Playbook inventory included inventory of PARTS that were ordered in advance but not necessarily assembled into final products. If RIM ordered 5 million LCD screens and they only made 1 million Playbooks --- there are still 4 million LCD screens in inventory and RIM would have written off those 4 million LCD screens in Q3 of last year.
    Last edited by samab; 05-25-12 at 09:58 PM.
    05-25-12 08:41 PM
    New. Just bought it.
    I am not saying it's not new.

It is possible that RIM/Quanta didn't produce any more Playbooks after the initial batch/batches. Why would they write-off almost half a billion in PB inventory and continue producing at a loss? Doesn't make any sense at all.

However, the dates you are seeing are probably packaging/repackaging dates, rather than manufacturing dates. I.e. it is likely that Quanta/RIM has the old batch of unpackaged Playbooks that get packaged in Taiwan or maybe even in the country of destination.
    05-25-12 09:08 PM
    looks like they made some in January of this year
    05-25-12 09:13 PM
167 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD