It would be nice if Blackberry built a Smart TV. With there ties with Sony this would not be a giant leap. It would be cool if the Smart TV replaced our PC, gaming systems, and Blue Ray players ect. All in one system. BlackBerry could bridge the Smart TV with any BlackBerry device to operate the Smart TV like the Z10 or even the Playbook. I just wanted to know what CrackBerry Nation thought.
    03-14-13 08:30 AM
    IMHO:
    I dont think BBRY will ever build a TV. I can see them making something to hook your PB or BB up to it and have your TV be an extension of your devices, anyone remember the Cyclone rumor. If you think about a PC can already do all that. A computer is a BluRay player, a gaming system and can hook up to a TV if you want a larger monitor. As to the phone controlling the TV i know Rogers has an app for the iPhone that you can control your TV as in change channels, PVR a show ect.

I see your idea but I think the world isnt going to be going down the path of making the TV the end all be all, the computer is already there.
    03-14-13 08:39 AM
    Someone will probably build one sooner or later. It may as well be BlackBerry.I know that the PC will play BlueRay but I'm tiered of looking at all of the crap stacked on the entertainment systems with wires running everywhere. Most of the Smart TV's out there will not surf the web ( just preloaded sites). BlackBerry could change the game and get there produces in places were they haven't been.
    03-14-13 09:05 AM
    If anyone is going to do it it will be someone like Samsung who already makes TVs and just load the Android OS in it somehow.

BlackBerry needs to focus on getting back all the lost business customers while at the same time having a kick @$$ phone for every day Joe. OS 10 allows that with built in balance. They just need to keep on the OS10 train and they will be great. They can't be distracted by anything else

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 09:14 AM
    Someone will probably build one sooner or later. It may as well be BlackBerry.I know that the PC will play BlueRay but I'm tiered of looking at all of the crap stacked on the entertainment systems with wires running everywhere. Most of the Smart TV's out there will not surf the web ( just preloaded sites). BlackBerry could change the game and get there produces in places were they haven't been.
    Hopefully BB listen, Microsoft is good at listening to customers, I told them what I wanted as a consumer, some were implemented into Windows/xbox/phone8 straight away and some are coming to updates, IE on xbox and kids corner on WP8 came with 8 launch, expect to see manual 2G3G selection on WP8 and Windows Media Centre 8 become the hub of 8 instead of a overlap of WMC, it will all be integrated into W8 Service Pack 1.

Did Imention the biggest way to stop piracy and raise income was to make W8 affordable?

Steve, Bill and another source all listened to ME the consumer, appointing a product manager from one of the MS product I shall not name.

If more companies were willing to listen and act, the market would be full of choice...its not all about third party apps I pointed out to MS, products were lacking in places and they resolved and deliveries took place.

BB should take note of its consumer wants, I applaud MS for listening and implementing my wants.
    03-14-13 09:30 AM
    I agree with BlackBerry needs to get back market shares. But there not going to gain shares back by relying on business to get them back on top. There going to have to go after the younger generation to change the mind set that BlackBerry is for old people or businesses. Hopefully with the US launch they will have a campaign to do this. I have seven grandchildren in several state of the country and I here them say that BlackBerry is for old people all of the time. McDonalds didn't get were they are by catering to the adults (it sure isn't there food). Reading the threads on CrackBerry people would like BlackBerry to do other products like laptops, PC, ect. The Smart TV could roll all these up in one product. Besides my thread asked what CrankBerry Nation thought so I'm going to say no for you JAGWIRE.
    03-14-13 09:40 AM
    What ties with Sony? BlackBerry doesn't have any connections with them.

I don't see BlackBerry getting into the TV business. Even Apple is scared to enter that business with it's razor thin profits and huge amount of competition. It would not be a smart thing to do at this time for BlackBerry

Now, a media gateway II with some more Apple TV/Roku like streaming powered by BB 10 might be a cool accessory. But it probably wouldn't sell that well. Even Apple TV isn't selling great.
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    03-14-13 09:53 AM
    Parts in the new Z10 are manufactured be sony and I believe that some of the management came from there. I didn't say right at this time BlackBerry has enough on its plate at the present time. **** it took three years to get a new phone. I'm just saying that BlackBerry needs to diversify. Have there eggs in one basket is not good. If the Smart Phone market crashes so will Smart Phone manufacturers. The Smart Phone market is dipping as we speak. Just look at the sales reports on other Smart Phone manufacturers.
    Last edited by dphjeff; 03-14-13 at 10:12 AM.
    03-14-13 10:01 AM
    I thought about this and I think they not only will but they will have to. I was thinking more about a box that will hdmi out to your flat screen though. With a glass slab remote much like the PlayBook or Z10. I imagine changing channels, volume etc with gestures and the remote could be used as a gamepad as well. Email, weather, BlackBerry world applications etc. They are pretty much already there they just need a cable partner and a TV specific UI /UX.

Apple is working on something big in the TV arena. They say that they feel it's "been left behind". I believe they are right.
    03-14-13 11:59 AM
    LG has a Smart TV that uses a remote control that has like three buttons and will surf the web. With the commitments from film and record studios on the Z10 BlackBerry could use them on the Smart TV. I personally don't want to see Apple get one on the market first. But that me.
    03-14-13 12:22 PM
    Frankly BB messenger needs to be on all OS, non BlackBerry OS customers pay minimal for it (for security only by a non prepaid debit/credit card), why PayPal got into the secure BB OS is damaging beyond belief.

Whatsapp, viper, Skype etc amongst others are overtaking BBM.

Another option I threw at MS was BBesque - secure browser & general browser with the ability to compress such data as a option where speed was more of the essence than security. Also having two profiles on one mobile - personal or business that could interact alongside each other or individually, where settings for each were individual. You could also add to that dual sim/second line functionality. Full userface operability. Personal/Work with full ability to block either communications or individuals.

No doubt you will see some of these in a WindowsPhone8 update.
    03-14-13 12:48 PM
    Sony is already in the android ecosystem as is Samsung and LG just purchased WebOS for their smart tv os. The only other company I could see running a BB10 powered smart TV would be Toshiba maybe Sharp. They could do it though since TAT already showed off a TV UI/UX that was pretty cool a couple of years ago at CES running off of a playbook.
    03-14-13 01:05 PM
    The fact is a HDMI lead makes your PB a Smart TV, BB10 apps are all that is needed along with a HDMI lead as standard, USB modem availability and external storage access. Viola BlackberryTV.

Infact a PB stand that allows ultra fast charging to keep it going whilst on TV = HDMI connection and USB modem/drive,wifi, speakerphone and a telephone socket to plug a landline phone in to use a conventional phone via your BlackBerry PB/phone gives you caller display on screen and no radiation. Add screen off when a external monitor is detected and with a mouse (rechargeable removable batteries). Even add a BlackBerry cordless phone to transfer calls to your PB/BB when leaving your BoB behind.

Bonsai, your uncle bob and your PB/BB your best mate.

BlackBerry BoB
    Turn yourself N
    03-14-13 01:41 PM
    PLAYBOOK is a good experience but nowhere near what "BlackBerry TV" could be.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-15-13 10:07 AM
    I just don't see BlackBerry getting into the TV sector at this point in the game. The old CoCEOs took way to much on and that is what caused BlackBerry into a downward spiral. When TH took over he even said this and it shows with the new OS. Their maps are made with TomTom, no more BBM music its integrated into BB WORLD. They need to have a narrow focus on rebuilding their core line and setting up a great OS. Once that is done then it will grow from there.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 06:57 AM
    I agree with you. BlackBerry needs to focus on there OS and there present and past devices at this time. I just don't believe that phones them self are not going to keep them going. BlackBerry makes great produces and I just don't want to see BlackBerry serving in the market place. I want to see them do well for them selves. I start this thread trying to get peoples input on some of the products like the Smart TV out there.
    03-16-13 08:19 AM
    I was (or still am) hoping BB would give good use to the Z10's DLNA certification and let it stream all media (audio & video) to any compatible TVs, game consoles etc....
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-16-13 09:20 AM
    TH already stated BB is moving to the "Internet of things". I seriously doubt there is much interest at BB on getting into the manufacturing side of the TV market or any other appliance, but with QNX and licensing to various manufacturers for inclusion in their appliances, I can see BB10 devices controlling TVs and maybe even streaming content directly to TVs.
    03-16-13 01:11 PM
    TH has always said stressed that this is not a mobile phone OS but a mobile computing one.

I've been to two B.E.F. and the stuff they showcased for future development is just mind blowing. OS 10 is for sure an OS that BlackBerry will build on and grow for the next ten years!

Posted via CB10
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-16-13 07:17 PM
    Parts in the new Z10 are manufactured be sony and I believe that some of the management came from there. I didn't say right at this time BlackBerry has enough on its plate at the present time. **** it took three years to get a new phone. I'm just saying that BlackBerry needs to diversify. Have there eggs in one basket is not good. If the Smart Phone market crashes so will Smart Phone manufacturers. The Smart Phone market is dipping as we speak. Just look at the sales reports on other Smart Phone manufacturers.
    So cause they buy some parts from them and they have a Swedish guy from the Ericsson half of the now defunct Sony Ericsson joint venture they have ties to Sony?

A bit of a stretch don't you think?

Don't get me wrong, if they ever made a BlackBerry TV I'd buy it, but I just don't see them ever getting into a business like that.
    03-16-13 08:49 PM