08-23-14 12:30 AM
41 12
tools
    BB should release a Beta OS 10.2.1 for playbook owners instead. Those who are interested can install it and can figure out if that's worth it on their own. Just saying.
    Last edited by Rikk009; 08-21-14 at 06:25 AM.
    Masterherm likes this.
    08-21-14 05:35 AM
    I would also buy a BlackBerry 10 tablet. My equipment for work is a Z10 and iPad mini, and although I am very happy with the Apple device, I miss some features of BlackBerry 10.

An enterprise-focused tablet should be something to be considered from BlackBerry.
    08-21-14 06:45 AM
    Yes the platform NEEDS a tablet form factor.... enterprise is buying tablets. If they are forced to buy a tablet from another platform, that opens the door to that platform in full. Phones & possible even management software.

But then a tablet without apps, is a tablet without buyers.....
    08-21-14 07:19 AM
    I thought the Passport was the new BlackBerry tablet?

But in all seriousness.. there's just not enough money in tablets for them to focus on that right now.. look at the market? I don't mean whether or not it's in decline, I'm not sure that it is.. but the price points.. people will happily buy phones for 549.. 599.. but they want tablets that have bigger screens, bigger battery etc for way less. What's the new Samsung galaxy tab4 going for 399? The ROI just isn't the same as a phone..

The only reason to produce a tablet (and it is a pretty good reason) is to provide a complete solution so your customers don't experience apple or android tablets and then try our apple or android phones to go with them..That said, I'm super excited for blend to be available on my Note 10.1

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 07:31 AM
    QNX BB10 OS and made a deal with Foxconn to make a smartphone 4 " witch you can slide in a tablet 8" inch. I think Foxconn could be use as brand name FOX

The phone could be a slim format and that tablet only needs a screen and 2x 4000 mAh battery. so the phone you slide in and it works like the main computer for the tablet

I think they can sell it for 400 euro.

Attachment 292022
    without integrating the phone to the hardware (makes it heavier) a solution could be a tablet-size screen with Miracast connectivity to your BB10 phone: you would pay only for the hardware price, or could be a joint venture with Amazon (if Amazaon were to release a tablet with miracast connectivity so you could switch between Amazon OS and BB10).
    So let's cheer for an Amazon tablet with Miracast connectivity
    08-21-14 07:36 AM
    Well the move from Blackberry in my circle of family and friends happened following the last tablet fiasco. Convinced ten folks to purchase praybooks and bought three for myself. They could have been the best tablet on the market for the time with a little development. Since the Thor clusterfook, family and friends have all bought droid or apple tablets and phones. Probably 25 or thirty devices in total in the last year, not one person opted for another BB product.

Imagine the scale of sales losses with the corporate clients that bought into the playbook travesty. Hard to overcome that bad blood with a shiny new distraction. Then again there are those that don't mind so much when you fool them more than once.
    08-21-14 12:05 PM
    Well the move from Blackberry in my circle of family and friends happened following the last tablet fiasco. Convinced ten folks to purchase praybooks and bought three for myself. They could have been the best tablet on the market for the time with a little development. Since the Thor clusterfook, family and friends have all bought droid or apple tablets and phones. Probably 25 or thirty devices in total in the last year, not one person opted for another BB product.

Imagine the scale of sales losses with the corporate clients that bought into the playbook travesty. Hard to overcome that bad blood with a shiny new distraction. Then again there are those that don't mind so much when you fool them more than once.
    Lots more bought them for peanuts.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 12:41 PM
    QNX BB10 OS and made a deal with Foxconn to make a smartphone 4 " witch you can slide in a tablet 8" inch. I think Foxconn could be use as brand name FOX

The phone could be a slim format and that tablet only needs a screen and 2x 4000 mAh battery. so the phone you slide in and it works like the main computer for the tablet

I think they can sell it for 400 euro.

Attachment 292022
    I see where you are going with this but I think the future is to dumb tablet idea. One of the key reasons people are pulled to tablets is the larger screen real estate. So fully developing the bridge/blend concept and allow a dumb tablet to access your phone files/apps would have a certain appeal. So in essence the dumb tablet could be viewed as a peripheral somewhat like a protective case. The hardware costs would be low and this would have a certain appeal.

As noted above, I think the current tablet space is going to shrink in size and turn into a niche product as the power of smart phones continues to accelerate.
    08-21-14 12:56 PM
    When you have something like "Hot Watch" that you can actually use to make calls (via Bluetooth 4.) connected to your 3G/LTE tablet that has capabilities to call and send text messages, you don't need mobile phone...

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 11:54 PM
    This is what BB should invest in. It can totally kill the Tablet genre. New Chip to Bring Holograms to Smartphones - WSJ
    08-22-14 04:44 AM
    Ok, this might be an amazingly stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway (and risk being jumped on and ridiculed):

Given BB10 exists, how hard would it be to make a tablet just like a bigger phone minus the phone app? There's the hardware investment absolutely. But is there much if anything to do with the software and firmware on it? Can it simply be dumped on it more or less as is?

*hiding behind protective rocks...*

Posted via CB10
    Well...

They need to make new image assets, that much is certain

Other than that, I don't think there's much of a difference. In fact, if they want they can just release a tablone, a tablet with phone capability (which actually is just a very big phone) and they can call it a day.

The problem is in determining the size, the feature set, the hardware arrangements and stuff. If they use the same 720p they don't even need new image assets

The biggest problem is in selling the damn thing

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-22-14 05:10 AM
    Remember how nobody ever mentions that product that failed so hard? cough cough *storm* cough cough..................the same should apply to the PlayBook.

Terrible support.
    08-22-14 07:48 AM
    1) the R & D on a tablet is next to nothing. Software is done, Foxconn can build a tablet.
    Somehow, I don't think slapping something together software-wise and telling Foxconn to build will lead to a great tablet. That sounds like a recipe for mediocrity. That's not what successful companies offer their customers.
    08-22-14 08:21 AM
    Keep like the idea of mating the phone to a larger screen. To make it more universal instead of physically mounting a phone connect it via bluetooth so a range of the phones could work with the screen.
    08-22-14 07:49 PM
    Keep like the idea of mating the phone to a larger screen. To make it more universal instead of physically mounting a phone connect it via bluetooth so a range of the phones could work with the screen.
    Haven't you heard of a thing called BlackBerry Blend yet?

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.3247 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.3
    08-22-14 08:23 PM
    The idea of the dumb screen has had its day. How can you justify a dumb screen in your life when you can just as easily have a fully functional tablet? So, in order to save $200 or whatever, you're going to let this screen take up space your desk, kitchen table, or coffee table that turns into a paperweight when the smartphone isn't attached?

And, what happens to this dumb screen if you decide upgrade your smartphone to, say, a Passport? If you had a real tablet it would still work after your upgrade even if you switched platforms.
    08-23-14 12:30 AM
41 12