Thanks to Amro, I found out that Porsches are powered by QNX. I have been driving around my 911 for years and never knew that QNX in my car. Here is what I think:

I never knew that QNX was in my car. That blows my mind that that the same OS used to power Porsches, the Audi R8, and ///M cars! I think QNX/RIM should be advertising that QNX and therefore the playbook has the same speed, precision, and endurance that it has powered cars that won the 24 hour nurburgring! That would totally change what a lot of people think about the playbook and future blackberry bbos10.

QNX could differentiate and brand themselves as a premiere brand on many prestigious marques, such as BMW and Porsche...and slip in Blackberry in there. This will further improve Blackberry's image, which is a step in the right direction, may help fight off some of the apple fanboys, and justify the 200+ premium price that BB phones are priced at.

Also, Porsche and BMW (especially porsche) is having huge market penetration in China. By incorporating QNX into Porsche and creating brand recognition that is associated with Porsche with the Chinese, you could have a billion plus potential buyers who crave BB products because it is associated with Porsche. And since not everyone in China is rich, I could see the people who are not affluent buying QNX Blackberries because they want a piece of that porsche prestige...but cannot afford to pay porsche prices. This makes great sense to me because blackberry would be able to leach off the prestige associated with porsche.

Rim should advertise that they power the GT3RS or the 918 (which has a starting MSRP of 800k USD). I really think that this is a missed opportunity. I see this as major leverage over the competition. Can you imagine the kind of press that QNX/RIM could generate if they just let people know that they powered multiple cars that won the 24 hour nurburgring?! BB could make energizer battery-like commercials with QNX "QNX/BB...trusted everywhere." Or RIM could create a BB commercial with a tagline something akin to "Blackberry, faster than a Ferrari!" That is something that no iphone or android phone could touch.

What do you guys think of this direction? I am very biased as I love both Porsche and Blackberry.
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 01-11-12 at 03:13 AM.
    Jake2826 and Willard814 like this.
    01-11-12 02:08 AM
    I think you're on to something. Better than partnering with a competitor like Amazon and conceding defeat. It could only improve their image. Of course all RIM/QNX Porsches would have to be black from there on out.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-11-12 02:25 AM
    They do have that concept phone which I understand is being sold in Dubai.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-11-12 02:27 AM
    so you missed the qnx powered porsche mentioned here.

http://crackberry.com/qnx-software-s...oncept-car-ces
    01-11-12 02:27 AM

^^ good point - had not made that connection . Good eye, good eye. - and the US now it seems?

http://www.techcinema.com/2011/12/bl...oes-to-us.html

Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 02:31 AM.
    01-11-12 02:28 AM
    Here are some visuals. Don't you think Blackberry would benefit if they were associated with these cars? Can you imagine QNX in the GT3RS 4.0?

Or the 918 Spyder?

01-11-12 02:31 AM
    ^^ good point - had not made that connection . Good eye, good eye. - and the US now it seems?

BlackBerry Porsche P9981 Goes To US

...and if I can buy that puppy unlocked, I'll be all over it....arrividerci Apple iPhone
    01-11-12 02:35 AM
    Oooo the bottom one yes...but has to be charcoal grey, with some gradients fading to black. Equipped with Greyberry screens and phone remotes for the dashboard installed PBs...

Could you float me an auto loan?
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-11-12 02:38 AM

I skimmed the article, but I don't think Porsche is committed to QNX in its next gen 911's aka the 991 or in any other vehicles.
    01-11-12 02:39 AM
    then qnx should take porsche off their customer list

Customers
    vgwillm likes this.
    01-11-12 02:42 AM
    11 car makers listed using qnx. i think they are doing fine.
    01-11-12 02:46 AM
    then qnx should take porsche off their customer list

Customers
    Geez. Little rude.

Anyways, thanks for the link. I had no idea that my porsche is powered by QNX all these years. It makes me love my car all that much more. I guess there has been synergy between two of my favorite companies.

Blackberry should be promoting the h*ll out of the fact that QNX is in the 918, the r8, and ///m cars. What the is wrong with their marketing department?
    01-11-12 02:50 AM
    Geez. Little rude.
    not rude. some people spend more time asking for info instead of googling it for themselves. i am in the latter group.

Blackberry should be promoting the h*ll out of the fact that QNX is in the 918, the r8, and ///m cars. What the is wrong with their marketing department?
    you do know rim has a bigger legal dept than marketing dept right?
    01-11-12 02:56 AM
    Why 9/10 People Would Prefer the BlackBerry Playbook over the iPad | Mobile and Social Media

From the article:

"If the iPad 2 is an Aston Martin DB9 (a true beauty), and the Galaxy Tab is a nice looking Porsche (cute and powerful, but not too practical), the BlackBerry Playbook is a 1985 Ford Mustang (freaking powerhouse/workhorse). The build quality of the Playbook is superb. "

Though I'm sure you wont agree that the 1985 Mustang build quality is superb - just thought you would like the comparison. lol

Oh and I found this ^^^^

vvvvv Is this what you had in mind? (yes that's a playbook on the dash)

Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 03:33 AM.
    01-11-12 03:02 AM
    #1 reason to like a playbook over an ipad: you don't have to fold a playbook in half to put it in your back pocket
    01-11-12 03:11 AM
    not rude. some people spend more time asking for info instead of googling it for themselves. i am in the latter group.

you do know rim has a bigger legal dept than marketing dept right?
    I always assumed me car was powered by magic. Now I know.

And I didn't know that Rim has a bigger legal department than their marketing department, but it does explain a lot.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-11-12 03:27 AM
    And I didn't know that Rim has a bigger legal department than their marketing department, but it does explain a lot.
    I think I have a bigger marketing department than RIM, and I'm practically a one-man operation!

(Note for RIM's much-larger-than-one-man legal department: I used "think", which the intrwebz legal sites say gets me off the hook for any libel lawsuit, so please don't sue me.)
    01-11-12 08:34 AM
    You all know that qnx is used in more than just cars right?

If cars are cool how about:
    The ISS... and its robotic arm
    The space shuttle...
    Controlling the chunnel train... and most locomotives in the US
    Traffic control systems for major cities
    Numerous medical devices
    Nuclear power plants
    Fighter jets
    Ship damage control
    Guidance systems (of the missile variety)
    The huge routers that power most of the internet
    Credit card transaction processing
    The US post office
    Luggage handling systems in airports... the ones that DON'T lose your luggage. ;-)
    Robotics (sea floor exploration, remote mining equipment operation,...)
    The army's Crusher Tanks
    and so much more... some of which can't be mentioned because its top secret.

Try googling "qnx <some cool device/machine/technology>"... you'll find a lot of surprising things run qnx.

That's right, we've all been using qnx for a long time.

I don't think ios or android are ever even considered for applications such as these. So who's tablet has the real os now? ;-)

How would you feel hooking yourself up to a machine to perform hemodialysis knowing it was controled by ios or android? No thanks!

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying ios or android aren't good for what they're used for... I'm just saying qnx is better. ;-).

oh, and love my PB!
    01-11-12 08:45 AM
    Porsches Design is not the same as the Porsche car company...
    01-11-12 09:04 AM
    Thanks to Amro, I found out that Porsches are powered by QNX. I have been driving around my 911 for years and never knew that QNX in my car. Here is what I think:

I never knew that QNX was in my car. That blows my mind that that the same OS used to power Porsches, the Audi R8, and ///M cars! I think QNX/RIM should be advertising that QNX and therefore the playbook has the same speed, precision, and endurance that it has powered cars that won the 24 hour nurburgring! That would totally change what a lot of people think about the playbook and future blackberry bbos10.

QNX could differentiate and brand themselves as a premiere brand on many prestigious marques, such as BMW and Porsche...and slip in Blackberry in there. This will further improve Blackberry's image, which is a step in the right direction, may help fight off some of the apple fanboys, and justify the 200+ premium price that BB phones are priced at.

Also, Porsche and BMW (especially porsche) is having huge market penetration in China. By incorporating QNX into Porsche and creating brand recognition that is associated with Porsche with the Chinese, you could have a billion plus potential buyers who crave BB products because it is associated with Porsche. And since not everyone in China is rich, I could see the people who are not affluent buying QNX Blackberries because they want a piece of that porsche prestige...but cannot afford to pay porsche prices. This makes great sense to me because blackberry would be able to leach off the prestige associated with porsche.

Rim should advertise that they power the GT3RS or the 918 (which has a starting MSRP of 800k USD). I really think that this is a missed opportunity. I see this as major leverage over the competition. Can you imagine the kind of press that QNX/RIM could generate if they just let people know that they powered multiple cars that won the 24 hour nurburgring?! BB could make energizer battery-like commercials with QNX "QNX/BB...trusted everywhere." Or RIM could create a BB commercial with a tagline something akin to "Blackberry, faster than a Ferrari!" That is something that no iphone or android phone could touch.

What do you guys think of this direction? I am very biased as I love both Porsche and Blackberry.
    Brilliant strategy and an excellent idea! Wonder how Porsche, BMW and Audi would feel about being associated with RIM? Would they sign on is the question since they too take a bit of a risk especially if RIM drops the ball.
    01-11-12 09:25 AM
    Porsches Design is not the same as the Porsche car company...
    Not so, it is a subsidiary of Porsche AG, and majority owned by the same auto group. A little research goes a long way.
    01-11-12 09:44 AM
    i think this is a great idea. it would be great to boost the brand image of blackberry devices. i am pretty sure rim will have to get approval from those automakers and perhaps even pay them money.

lets say rim does want to do this...as another poster asked, do u guys think that the automakers will let rim associate their cars with rim's products?
    01-11-12 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD