01-12-12 08:15 AM
44 12
tools
    I think this feature will be amazing...typing on my 9900 is so much easier than on the playbook.

Also, if we read into this a little bit, this suggests that a bold style BB10 device will also be in the works...why else create a bridging feature to use keyboards.
    01-10-12 10:17 PM
    This is a very smart move on RIM's part.

Not only do i get a BT keyboard that takes up no space for free, but the faster I learn the type on the PB the faster I be on my phone. I also like using the trackpad more than touch for browsing and by taking the virtual keyboard out of the equation you always have a full view of your documents, web pages, etc.

This is an all around winner feature.
    01-10-12 10:25 PM
    01-10-12 10:53 PM
    Crap!!!! RIM messed me up again! I just got a Rii mini bluetooth keyboard/touchpad for Christmas and was really getting into it and now RIM pulls the phone remote deal. They keep foiling my workarounds by making things native. That's it for me. I quit. I'm not doing anything else till 2.0 is actually out and I see what it's really got. I don't trust RIM anymore. They've probably included a lot they're not revealing yet!
    That's what happens to non-believers- I have been tempted to pull the trigger on a bluetooth keyboard , but I kept my faith that this was coming... playbook does indeed have a life after "death".
    rotorwrench and axllebeer like this.
    01-10-12 10:56 PM
    This is Great! Now we sit and wait till next month DROOLING all over the place.... Guess I need to freshen up on txting with my phone again..
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-10-12 at 11:27 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-10-12 11:11 PM
    Most potential buyers are not BB users
    I disagree with that. Most potential buyers are going to get the more popular iPad, the much cheaper Kindle Fire, or a more accessible Android pad. I know RIM would love to get more of the non-BB-user market, but for now, to get their foot a little farther in the tablet door, marketing a PlayBook as the ultimate BlackBerry phone accessory is a good move. There's millions of BB users out there to target, and they would all be more likely to stay with the brand when their contract is up knowing they had the perfect tablet for another BlackBerry phone.

I know it doesn't help those that don't have a BB phone, but while presenting these Bridge functions, they're also showing a rather innovative PIM client, which will make the tablet more independent from a BB phone. The addition of Android apps and native Zinio apps will add more things to appease the non-BB-user.

I think RIM is doing well to connect their phones to the tablet, and get independent developers to make other aspects of the tablet that will appeal to those without the phones.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-10-12 11:29 PM
    Yup, still OS5 on my Bold/9650. I will not relinquish my Column view in the browser.
    I do love column view - did that go away after OS 5? I have OS 5 also - hope the "reader mode" on the OS 2 browser is similar - reflows text to fit the screen.
    01-11-12 12:02 AM
    This is Great! Now we sit and wait till next month DROOLING all over the place.... Guess I need to freshen up on txting with my phone again..
    Well, drooling on a glass surface is not quite as messy as on an actual keyboard. So a swipe with a rag rather than a finger should clean it up nicely.
    01-11-12 12:36 AM
    I do love column view - did that go away after OS 5? I have OS 5 also - hope the "reader mode" on the OS 2 browser is similar - reflows text to fit the screen.
    Yes, they did away with it. Speculation was that OS6 was really geared to the larger-screened touch devices and so column view was dropped. Folks claim you can zoom and get almost the same outcome but others claim it never works very well. My testing while the bold/9650 was available showed problems. My phone use is mainly the browser and very little PHONE. So losing a nice readable page was not in my interest.

Hatax's simple browser+ has text flow. Change the font size and it reflows the text.
    01-11-12 12:40 AM
    I just wanted to throw in there how I'm just tickled pink that this finally happening! I've wanted this for so long and will be totally awesome! (Guess I don't need my 15 feet long HDMI cable now.)
    01-11-12 12:51 AM
    Hey, I'm the opposite. I've been doing business and emails on Treos and BBs for so long, I can't type anymore. Thats the reason I actually like typing on the PB and got the Rii mini keyboard, I can type phone style on both lol. Now with my phone as my keyboard, I'll be smokin!!! BTW, if you need practice, text me anytime LOL
    01-11-12 01:01 AM
    Here is a link to a video from RIM showing more about the Remote Desktop in case anyone missed it:

CES 2012: Take Control with BlackBerry Bridge on PlayBook OS 2.0 [VIDEO] «Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
    01-11-12 01:04 AM
    ^^ I did miss that. Thanks!
    01-11-12 01:12 AM
    That's what happens to non-believers- I have been tempted to pull the trigger on a bluetooth keyboard , but I kept my faith that this was coming... playbook does indeed have a life after "death".
    LOL I'm a dyed in the wool pragmatist. While many new added functions and features definitely would make the PB more appealing and versatile, I can live with what I've got. It works very well for me now. I was being cautiously optimistic about 2.0, but was blindsided by the remote. I wasn't expecting that until 2.xxxx or so. I'm exstatic over that one.
    01-11-12 01:13 AM
    I can also foresee more and more bridge integration with the phone coming - using PB as speakerphone, (in your car......on the conference room table....) dialing the phone from PB etc...all with your phone still in your pocket, purse or briefcase or on the charger stand!!!

We have seen controlling the PB from the phone - we will also see bluetooth control of the phone from PB - there is already a wifi app called "phone remote" that does this - view and control the phone from PB, just not Bluetooth yet.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 01:44 AM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-11-12 01:21 AM
    Remote bezel gestures from touch screen BB. Now this thing is starting to impress me. Hook up to HDMI TV and control from BB = Awesome!
    01-11-12 01:56 AM
    Same here! So many times I have been tempted to do this. But I held on that enabling BB to PB Bluetooth control made so much sense and there has been so much talk about it that it just HAD to be coming. And soon it will be here, ahh rejoyce
    Last edited by axllebeer; 01-11-12 at 10:20 PM.
    01-11-12 10:17 PM
    And now - the wish list for OS 3.0 bridge features:

APPS that take advantage of bridge! wish list?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-12-12 at 02:18 AM.
    01-12-12 02:11 AM
    Well, at least the Rii keyboard has a laser pointer! How long until a BB phone has one?

Seriously, the laser pointer is very handy for presentations. Hook up the PB to a big TV or a projector, and walk around the room holding the keyboard while flipping through Powerpoint slides.
    01-12-12 08:15 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD