So, after seeing the demonstration for BlackBerry Remote I decided, that because I have a Bold 9000, I should look into if this will work on my phone. I took a stroll on over to the BlackBerry Beta forums to ask the all knowing moderator John(He's awesome). According to him BlackBerry Remote should work on OS 5 thus I'm assuming it will work on OS 6. But those phones without touch screens would just use the keyboard to do certain functions instead. All us BBOS 5 and 6 lovers can rejoice!!!
    hpjrt, FF22, Thunderbuck and 4 others like this.
    01-10-12 03:02 PM
    Yup, still OS5 on my Bold/9650. I will not relinquish my Column view in the browser.
    01-10-12 03:34 PM
    awesome, i have a blackberry 6 device.

would be super sad if i didnt get this functionality!
    01-10-12 04:06 PM
    This honestly looks a LOT cooler than I expected it to ("control my tablet from my phone? why would I want to do that?").

It's one of those things that when people see it they'll go "Oooooo!"
    01-10-12 04:13 PM
    I hope it works for all of you but I am a bit sceptical, in situations like these sometimes the older OS's get less options or functions (But I am hoping RIM is better than that). Lets hope not, I have a curve 3G as a backup to my 9810.
    macrosheep and CaptDeth like this.
    01-10-12 04:15 PM
    This honestly looks a LOT cooler than I expected it to ("control my tablet from my phone? why would I want to do that?").

It's one of those things that when people see it they'll go "Oooooo!"

Yeah. RIM's vision for the PlayBook is really coming together. It's a grander plan than a lot of people seem to have had patience for. Can't wait to see how BB10 ties in as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-10-12 04:18 PM
    So, after seeing the demonstration for BlackBerry Remote I decided, that because I have a Bold 9000, I should look into if this will work on my phone. I took a stroll on over to the BlackBerry Beta forums to ask the all knowing moderator John(He's awesome). According to him BlackBerry Remote should work on OS 5 thus I'm assuming it will work on OS 6. But those phones without touch screens would just use the keyboard to do certain functions instead. All us BBOS 5 and 6 lovers can rejoice!!!
    In one of the videos it was mentioned that the thumbpad would work effectively on those devices that didn't have touchscreens.
    01-10-12 04:34 PM
    In one of the videos it was mentioned that the thumbpad would work effectively on those devices that didn't have touchscreens.
    This I know. It's that pain in the *** Track Ball, that I have such a love/hate relationship with, that I was worried about. It's not uncommon for companies to provide support for previous version of their decives and then decided that they don't want to support that rendition. I'm just happy they will continue to show the OS5 love, until I can get my paws on a 9900 for less then 400 >.>

I hope it works for all of you but I am a bit sceptical, in situations like these sometimes the older OS's get less options or functions (But I am hoping RIM is better than that). Lets hope not, I have a curve 3G as a backup to my 9810.
    If what John wrote on the Beta Forums is right, then we SHOULD be seeing this. I have a lot of faith in John, and I'm sure he telling me the truth.
    Last edited by Thomasrox3; 01-10-12 at 04:46 PM.
    01-10-12 04:43 PM
    I like my Playbook, but I am a little disappointed that RIM has been wasting its time on this "remote" functionality when there are so many other things the Playbook lacks that would actually help me. Most potential buyers are not BB users, so, for them, like me, the remote feature is not going to impress. I know RIM wants the Playbook to be part of an enterprise solution, but the only thing that will impress (and help) me is stand-alone functionality.
    01-10-12 04:45 PM
    This makes me very happy. Actually, it will make my wife happy. Her Curve is os6. If she's happy, I'm happy.
    01-10-12 04:50 PM
    Yeah. RIM's vision for the PlayBook is really coming together. It's a grander plan than a lot of people seem to have had patience for. Can't wait to see how BB10 ties in as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly. I am more impressed that they really seem to be listening to what people have been asking for especially in this forum. Kudos to them for that.
    01-10-12 05:01 PM
    wondering if I should keep my PB as I have still 20 days to decide: now I'm more on keeping it

that is awesome!

BTW imagine if they had all that from the beginning... SOLD OUT!!!
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 01-10-12 at 05:26 PM.
    01-10-12 05:23 PM
    Does anyone know if I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking to dictate my
    email on my phone like I do now and have it show up on the playbook?
    01-10-12 06:08 PM
    Way Flipping COOL!!!! I am more excited than a sugared up 10 year old at a sleep over!!!! I love my BB Torch and PlayBook!!!!
    01-10-12 06:15 PM
    I for one am very excited about this feature. I can't wait to be sitting back on my couch while surfing the net on my big screen using my beloved bold 9900 as a remote keyboard/trackpad. This is going to be fantastic!

Go RIM!!! W00T!!!
    CaptDeth and PondHockey like this.
    01-10-12 06:37 PM
    how long till other companys try to steal these ideas??

to bad they dont have gnx!

muhahaha
    01-10-12 06:39 PM
    I like my Playbook, but I am a little disappointed that RIM has been wasting its time on this "remote" functionality when there are so many other things the Playbook lacks that would actually help me. Most potential buyers are not BB users, so, for them, like me, the remote feature is not going to impress. I know RIM wants the Playbook to be part of an enterprise solution, but the only thing that will impress (and help) me is stand-alone functionality.
    well, RIM is making upgrades for non blackberry users but it has to make some for users as well, i mean, the playbook its great and we all know it lacks features for some,for others may b perfect already, but in time it will get there for all of us, this is a big step for the Playbook, and there are more to come dont worry
    01-10-12 07:21 PM
    Remote is a cool feature but how is this going to be useful?
    01-10-12 07:39 PM
    Did you watch the demo that showed a handful of awesome uses right off the bat? And it will only get better. The whole "Open on my PlayBook" thing is right up there with CSI tech.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-10-12 07:45 PM
    For a lot of us... VERY useful! Guess I didn't need to buy that bluetooth mouse afterall... Oh well.
    01-10-12 07:46 PM
    I watch a lot of internet TV and listen to Pandora, Slacker, Tunedin, etc with my PB cabled to the TV. Being able to click on the next episode, skip a song, etc, would be very cool. Probably helpful for doing presentations too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-12 07:56 PM
    I read somewhere on this site that only os6 and os7 will be getting this feature which means that os5 is not going to get it.
    I hope this is not true as it is a function that I want.
    01-10-12 07:56 PM
    As Flounder said in Animal House:

"Oh boy! This is going to be great!"

There are other threads where the usefulness of this is discussed. For me (sorry for the redundancy if you have already read this) is for creating posts like this. Try the following with your Playbook:

1. Create a reply to a post and type a sentence.
    2. Use your finger to select a single word so that it's highlighted.
    3. Try to touch the Bold button to bold the text.

With the Playbook's built in keyboard, as soon as you touch the button, the keyboard disappears and the text becomes unselected. The only way to do this now is to manually enter bold tags around the word. Doing the same thing with a bluetooth keyboard, the Playbook's keyboard does not pop in and out when you select an area to type in. Assuming using your BB phone's keyboard is the same to the Playbook as using a bluetooth keyboard, you should experience the same thing.

Plus, since your BB phone, if you have one, has a keyboard and touchpad, you will have typing and 'mouse' capabilities via a device that you have with you all the time. This is much better than carrying a phone, a Playbook, a bluetooth keyboard, and a bluetooth mouse.

Now, couple this functionality with what we've seen so far with regard to spell check and corrective typing and it will become much more difficult to spot a post made via a Playbook than it is now.

Finally, the 3 main features people have been asking for are native PIM, Android Player, and better Playbook typing features. I don't count Netflix or Angry birds because Netflix is not RIM's issue and Angry Birds is here. Oh. I almost forgot bluetooth audio! But this remote functionality is as huge to me as the realization that the 3rd (I think) update allowed us to use almost any web-dependent app via the bridge connection. It's one of those little throw-ins that makes a HUGE difference.

My only question, at this point, is if all of these videos are of a 'real' 2.0 as we will see it or if some is mock-up. And will we really see it in February. It's looking pretty dang good at this point. Release this OS sometime in February, and RIM will have wiped some of the egg off their face. There's still plenty to do, but little surprises like this are fueling my enthusiasm to wait till the end of 2012 to see what they can come up with between now and then.

Remote FTW!!!
    01-10-12 08:14 PM
    Crap!!!! RIM messed me up again! I just got a Rii mini bluetooth keyboard/touchpad for Christmas and was really getting into it and now RIM pulls the phone remote deal. They keep foiling my workarounds by making things native. That's it for me. I quit. I'm not doing anything else till 2.0 is actually out and I see what it's really got. I don't trust RIM anymore. They've probably included a lot they're not revealing yet!
    Chaddface and jafobabe like this.
    01-10-12 09:59 PM
    I read somewhere on this site that only os6 and os7 will be getting this feature which means that os5 is not going to get it.
    I hope this is not true as it is a function that I want.
    Did you read the first post in this thread started by a 9000 user?
    01-10-12 10:07 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD