Pray tell, what exactly is the QNX secret sauce that will allow it to power every mobile computer out there? You're forgetting BB10 is much more than the QNX kernel and system components, it includes a lot of middleware, UI libraries and apps.

Symbian was an excellent RTOS that ran on low-power, low-resource hardware. The reason it died at Nokia's hands wasn't because the OS itself was bad, it was the junk on top to create the full stack that killed it. A good kernel means nothing if there's an atrocious UI piled on top.
    05-21-13 10:06 PM
    I believe, it is not the cost that determines the market share of Padfone but its "concept" and "actual" applicability... it may look interesting (on the first glance) but in real life of usage, especially a "life" that you shared with your family (kids, wife, GFs, relatives, etc), this is not a very convenient technology... you cannot use your phone while others are using the dumb tablet... and they cannot use the dumb tablet without your phone... you will lose the so-called "privacy" and "security"... it may only works on those people who are exclusively live by themselves... and those people are usually constitute a small portion of the market share...

You must have one to realize that reality... or know someone close to you, enough to see their daily lives while using that "dumb" idea... I mean, dumb tablet...

Posted via Z10
    Can't deny the above as disadvantages but you are denying the advantages.
    1. BB can keep the phone up to date ... not have to constantly renew the tablet.
    2. Cheaper cell phone capability for the tablet.
    3. No need to bridge all of your "stuff".
    4. Cheaper to buy and probably more reliable too.
    5. Unlike the Playbook ..... wait for it .... will have BB10!

Most tablets are personal devices like phones.
    05-21-13 11:46 PM
    Can't deny the above as disadvantages but you are denying the advantages.
    1. BB can keep the phone up to date ... not have to constantly renew the tablet.
    2. Cheaper cell phone capability for the tablet.
    3. No need to bridge all of your "stuff".
    4. Cheaper to buy and probably more reliable too.
    5. Unlike the Playbook ..... wait for it .... will have BB10!

Most tablets are personal devices like phones.
    But as he pointed out - many times younger children don't have cell phones. But that's okay, rim has written off a large segment of potential users so what's a few hundred thousand children who use tablets but NO phones.
    05-22-13 12:10 AM
    But as he pointed out - many times younger children don't have cell phones. But that's okay, rim has written off a large segment of potential users so what's a few hundred thousand children who use tablets but NO phones.
    We don't know that they're "written off". Maybe there will be profile support.
    05-22-13 12:27 AM
    Good business decision.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 12:29 AM
    Is the Playbook too smart to work as a dumb tablet with the BB10 phones? Where is the software? Maybe in the schnapps.
    fryk and blueberrymerry like this.
    05-22-13 12:44 AM
    I think a dumb tablet is a dumb idea.

Posted via CB10
    Might be just the thing for me. I've never had a notebook or tablet before
    05-22-13 01:34 AM
    From a purely hardware point of view you're right, but you're not thinking of the incremental business costs.

The "dumb" approach eliminates the need to maintain a specific OS version for the device, or provide user support for it at the same level, or have developers decide if the need to alter code for it. There's a lot of win here, assuming it works.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    And nobody will spend the money it would cost for a dumb screen when they could get a smart screen for not much more from someone else! Nobody cares how much it costs BlackBerry to support and release a devices, that is the cost of doing business. All they will see is this dumb screen costs X and is worthless without my phone, this competitors smart screen is Y and not much more and can function on its own and has apps. Also you are forgetting that their are a lot of environments where BlackBerry is currently used where a wireless screen is never going to be allowed, because they don't allow WiFi or Blue tooth now.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 06:02 AM
    You sir are a 'sad old man'. No vision. And you have basically hi-jacked this thread based on not having the ability to grasp advanced concepts.

I sure wish that we had the ability to 'ignore' certain profiles/users.

I'm sure everyone (mostly) knows who am I referring to.

Posted via CB10
    And you sir are entitled to your opinion. That is why this is an open forum. Should you not like it may I respectfully suggest that you find yourself a more dictatorial forum where comments are censored to enable you only to read what pleases you!

Posted via CB10
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-22-13 08:37 AM
    BB has said that they do not think they can make any money selling tablets in competition with the Kindle and Nexus etc. If they made a device that could work with Android phones that would be fine too. Most likely it is this type of device or nothing ... unless you are prepared to pay Ipad type money for a new Playbook design . Based on my PB experience I would not buy another stand alone tablet from BB. ( but that maybe just me).
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-22-13 08:42 AM
    That's easily justifiable - that's a lot less than the 2+ million PB owners and BBRY couldn't give a toss about them
    danprown likes this.
    05-22-13 10:30 AM
    I don't know what playbook you guys have but my playbook is a dumb tablet

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 10:53 AM
    I don't know what playbook you guys have but my playbook is a dumb tablet

Posted via CB10
    Bit harsh, I prefer to think of it as only as smart as the person who's holding it
    sad_old_man and gregerator like this.
    05-22-13 11:36 AM
    Bit harsh, I prefer to think of it as only as smart as the person who's holding it
    In that case I've just put mine down! Is there a good dumb remote keyboard I could use?
    05-22-13 01:23 PM
    Hmm... now, I'm beginning to understand why others are claiming that their PlayBook is "perfect"... and it doesn't need BB10...

Posted via Z10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-22-13 03:25 PM
    Hmm... now, I'm beginning to understand why others are claiming that their PlayBook is "perfect"... and it doesn't need BB10...

Posted via Z10
    My wife's Samsung S3 just got a software upgrade.
    05-22-13 04:26 PM
    ^^Yeah, but that doesn't mean that your wife is also has been upgraded...

...does she?

Posted via Z10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-22-13 09:11 PM
    ^^Yeah, but that doesn't mean that your wife is also has been upgraded...

...does she?

Posted via Z10
    No, I must have a word with Samsung about that.
    05-23-13 04:10 AM
    It would appear that Nokia have a different concept of the future than our pal Thor?

05-23-13 04:20 AM
    It would appear that Nokia have a different concept of the future than our pal Thor?

Nice flight of fancy. Maybe they will make it so, and it not just be vapourware.

But Nokia have done their very best to undermine that which they were good for, and set themselves a niche for, in the marketplace - making phones that had truly great spec hardware, but software that either disappoints or misfires. I have relatives that bought a succession of the high end Nokia smartphones for a good few years, that abandoned them because they couldn't get their software sorted that would make the great hardware make sense.

I, too, bought Nokia for a while - I still have 2 N8s - again, truly a testament to an excellent build and hardware, which they managed to produce a golden version of the OS for, then screwed it all up, in either trying to make it look more funky, or trying to look like Android. Whilst they were never going to set the world alight with Symbian, Anna and maps 3.06 was truly a golden release for both. Stuff worked, features were rich, configuration was powerful, the solution was good - admittedly it wouldn't draw significant numbers away from 'droid or iOS, but made the N8 a reasonable facsimile of what it should be (although could have been better). Belle, and they made an excellent handset into just a normal smartphone.

But now they're gone Windows - which may well have been a surivalist move, they've nothing to strongly differentiate them from other Windows phone makers. Sure, you can say they know how to put together good hardware - but past years have seen them squander such strengths, so now having lost their place, really, they are simply another Windows smartphone vendor, trading on past highs as if it will rock the world - I'm not so sure, I think that ship has sailed - the rabbit done died.
    05-23-13 04:45 AM
    Of course the tablet would be able to control the phone. That's the point. If you want to be pedantic and insist that Miracast is one-way, let's leave it out of the equation and say it's all done through WiFi-Direct.

The Tablet would be able to communicate with the phone. The phone would know the tablet was connected, and would render according to the tablet's resolution and orientation. It would know the orientation, because the phone would also have full access to the tablet's sensors.

The tablet would, from the user's point of view, give just as good an experience as it would if the phone's hardware and OS were running natively on the tablet itself. The only two drawbacks are that the phone would need to remain within a range where the WiFi-Direct would be able to maintain connection, and that the phone's battery drain would be significant.
    "just as good " would be stretching it. If it's a wireless connection there would be latency issues - which means lag, lots of lag. The input lag would be acceptable for watching videos or reading, but forget about games and other interaction heavy apps.
    05-23-13 04:54 AM
    Nice flight of fancy. Maybe they will make it so, and it not just be vapourware.

But Nokia have done their very best to undermine that which they were good for, and set themselves a niche for, in the marketplace - making phones that had truly great spec hardware, but software that either disappoints or misfires. I have relatives that bought a succession of the high end Nokia smartphones for a good few years, that abandoned them because they couldn't get their software sorted that would make the great hardware make sense.

I, too, bought Nokia for a while - I still have 2 N8s - again, truly a testament to an excellent build and hardware, which they managed to produce a golden version of the OS for, then screwed it all up, in either trying to make it look more funky, or trying to look like Android. Whilst they were never going to set the world alight with Symbian, Anna and maps 3.06 was truly a golden release for both. Stuff worked, features were rich, configuration was powerful, the solution was good - admittedly it wouldn't draw significant numbers away from 'droid or iOS, but made the N8 a reasonable facsimile of what it should be (although could have been better). Belle, and they made an excellent handset into just a normal smartphone.

But now they're gone Windows - which may well have been a surivalist move, they've nothing to strongly differentiate them from other Windows phone makers. Sure, you can say they know how to put together good hardware - but past years have seen them squander such strengths, so now having lost their place, really, they are simply another Windows smartphone vendor, trading on past highs as if it will rock the world - I'm not so sure, I think that ship has sailed - the rabbit done died.
    I agree 100% with your comments and I too still have the N8. Also did you realise that with very few word changes in your statement, it describes RIM perfectly as well!
    05-23-13 07:51 AM
    *Sigh*... so, he is really speaking about Nokia then!?!...

I'm lost...

Posted via Z10
    05-23-13 08:21 AM

You did notice she never took a bite of the Apple and left the Apple behind as she left!

I think we are still more than a few years away from such technology.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-23-13 09:22 AM
    I agree 100% with your comments and I too still have the N8. Also did you realise that with very few word changes in your statement, it describes RIM perfectly as well!
    Quite - there are fewer and fewer of these types of companies who are ploughing a lone furrow, with their own phone (ie hardware), software (OS), and ecosystem.

There once was a time, when decent turnover, and profit mattered - now it's almost a sidenote - never-ending-and-completely-implausible-long-term growth is required, and without it, companies are vulnerable - either lame ducks, or fodder for predators.

Will BlackBerry be able to continue in this vein, or is it an almost King Canute-esque pretending the tide isn't coming in, and it's just going to be 'droid and iOS, I'm unsure. I guess it's hard to know (and they're not likely to make it that public) how much of government(s) and big business that buy into BlackBerry and whether it's sustainable as a model - a little different from purely evaluating how a vendor / platform is generally doing in the consumer market.

I think if they try and compete as a general mobile platform vendor, in the vein they have done, as well as what is their core business / customer(s) - I guess evident in how the PlayBook has faired - it's kinda hard to see that prevailing. The normal paradigm, these days, is focusing on what they do that is special - perhaps even USP - and for BlackBerry surely that is business and security - which they don't seem able to exploit sufficiently, I mean it's obviously getting mucho business of a more organised variety, but why is it, when vendors have a strength, they don't go to sufficient lengths to truly capitalise on it - and I suppose trading on that, and those that are still in the public that are drawn to BBM and the hard keyboard type of phone - doesn't appear to be the most robust and sustainable demographic, though.

If they're not expanding their market share, they are completely vulnerable, these days - there was a time when some companies would almost seem too big to fail, but no so, these days - even if profitable. True enough, profitable now, doesn't mean or imply profitable in 5 years time - tru dat, that may very well be the problem. But all the same, I often think it's a shame for profitable, individual businesses to get swallowed up, or hunted down and torn apart, simply because they are not giving pressure. As Martin Brundle often says in F1 commentary, about F1 drivers, "You're either giving pressure, or taking pressure", that's the way the markets are.

Nokia still seem to be trying to make very well made / designed handsets and innovating on hardware - maybe they'll still manage to carve out that niche - after all there's no true de-facto Windows mobile vendor - although perhaps they and the odd other are pretenders to the throne - much as outside of the Nexus phones, there's not really a default Android vendor (maybe Samsung would like to rule, as I'm sure others would...). The only thing I have experienced in terms of more modern / Windows OS Nokia phones, is that my parents both have one - and are OK, and a friend has a 920, but is very disappointed in the camera - which doesn't sound encouraging because surely that's why many would at least traditionally by a top-end Nokia.

As to my N8s - well they're currently languishing on charge, sim-less, but still usable as sat-nav, although not as usable as they were without the data value-add to maps. I love my Symbian Anna N8 more than my bastard-love-child Symbian Belle N8, though, and the camera is still excellent and is more than competitive now, after being out a couple of years, despite not having things like HDR, or BlackBerry's funky time-shift thing. The N8 camera seems to do it's core camera thing very well, with no gimmics - true xenon flash, decent lens and sensor, and not overly intrusive post-processing.
    05-23-13 09:35 AM
146 ... 3456