You're describing something more complicated than just building a tablet that runs bb10. Plus, it has no advantages over a real tablet that is bridged to a phone.

BB10 already exists. You want to build another os. It seems crazy to me.

Posted via CB10
    It's not an OS. It's the visual equivalent to a Bluetooth speaker.
    05-21-13 02:50 PM
    You're describing something more complicated than just building a tablet that runs bb10. Plus, it has no advantages over a real tablet that is bridged to a phone.

BB10 already exists. You want to build another os. It seems crazy to me.

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea what he's on but I definitely want some!
    05-21-13 02:50 PM
    It's not an OS. It's the visual equivalent to a Bluetooth speaker.

Again, it's not that. The bluetooth speaker can't control what song is sent to it.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 02:55 PM
    He likes that idea and there are a few articles talking about something like this. I think it is really a non-starter in the real world. I can't imagine that BlackBerry ever considered it. That said, this is the company that had two versions of the Storm.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-21-13 02:59 PM
    Again, it's not that. The bluetooth speaker can't control what song is sent to it.

Posted via CB10
    My Monster Clarity can jump back and forth between tracks and adjust the device volume.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    05-21-13 03:10 PM
    So with this dumb tablet, I need a Z10 to actually run my PB now?

I'll be in the cellar with that old man drinking whatever he has in stock. The depths of fanboyism in this place is unbelievable.
    05-21-13 03:30 PM
    He likes that idea and there are a few articles talking about something like this. I think it is really a non-starter in the real world. I can't imagine that BlackBerry ever considered it. That said, this is the company that had two versions of the Storm.

Posted via CB10
    I know I still have the Storm II somewhere. I'm very disappointed though to find out that we are in the real world. Back to my cellar and Elgar I think.
    05-21-13 03:34 PM

I don't know what the hell this "logistics" is that Marshall is always talking about, but I want some of it.
    (Admiral E. J. King)
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-21-13 03:50 PM
    So with this dumb tablet, I need a Z10 to actually run my PB now?

I'll be in the cellar with that old man drinking whatever he has in stock. The depths of fanboyism in this place is unbelievable.
    You have an open invitation to my cellar anytime as long as you don't mention the real world or bb10. I might even let you have a pasty?
    05-21-13 04:03 PM
    Pasty? That's like what exactly, a pastry or a Cornish pie?

I'll take the 4000-year-old Akkadian booze if you have any.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-21-13 04:11 PM
    I know I still have the Storm II somewhere. I'm very disappointed though to find out that we are in the real world. Back to my cellar and Elgar I think.
    I'm sure I've asked you this before, but if you have so little regard for BlackBerry's products, why, exactly, do you keep using them?
    05-21-13 04:31 PM
    I'm sure I've asked you this before, but if you have so little regard for BlackBerry's products, why, exactly, do you keep using them?
    to be fair the storm range was lacking
    05-21-13 05:07 PM
    Why didn't you just ask that in the first place. Now remember I've been using computers and mobiles since before you first became a twinkle in your dads eye!.

In my day it was Nokia Nokia or Nokia. I worked for them so I was one of the droids. They went through a period just like bb are doing now with a similar CEO that held only one thought which was furthering their own career. By the time they woke up it was too late and hence Nokia is now a windows phone! Ericsson and motorola have played at the game for years but it's not their main company function so for them their mobile divisions are tax loss companies whilst keeping their name in the public eye. (excellent strategy by the way). I have been involved with Apple and I will not under any circumstances buy one of their products. Their business ethos is below that of the many sweat shops in Asia. So who does that leave us with? Mmmmmmmm, Samsung, HTC and LG. Pick any one from seven there because they are all the same.

I then got my first bb curve and although very alien to me after Nokia I grew to love it. The curve turned into the Storm II and then into the Torch 9860. The playbook followed and in all honesty I grew accustom to it. I don't have a lot of apps loaded and I don't want android on it and the only thing that pisses me off is when RIM issues updates and I have to put their crap right again afterwards. Then the eventful day of the Z10. I could go on for hours about this latest piece of crap but all you have to do is read the Z10 or Q10 forums for yourself. It's like an A to Z of disasters. Anyone who thinks they have issues with their playbook would do well to read those two forums. My pb is alive and well and I intend to keep it that way. It will never ever see bb10 even if it does arrive and all I want from the muppet CEO Thor is my bridge back fully functional.

I do understand what you are trying to say but my god I was using dumb terminals 35 years ago and trust me there is not that much cost saving in your plans. 80% of the cost of a tv is in the screen!
    05-21-13 05:10 PM
    You sir are a 'sad old man'. No vision. And you have basically hi-jacked this thread based on not having the ability to grasp advanced concepts.

I sure wish that we had the ability to 'ignore' certain profiles/users.

I'm sure everyone (mostly) knows who am I referring to.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:10 PM
    80% of the cost of a tv is in the screen!
    Is that true for tablets? I don't know that's why I'm asking. I have seen it mentioned a few times so I looked at prices of ipad4 lcd and digitizer. Those two are $100 retail.
    If wholesale prices are around half then it could be inexpensive to produce.
    05-21-13 05:39 PM
    Is that true for tablets? I don't know that's why I'm asking. I have seen it mentioned a few times so I looked at prices of ipad4 lcd and digitizer. Those two are $100 retail.
    If wholesale prices are around half then it could be inexpensive to produce.
    You have to pay about $130 more for a tablet with a cell connection. You would save on the processor and the separate data plan.
    05-21-13 05:51 PM
    We have been educated on the wide variety of potions the S_O_M imbibes but what does Thor favor. The post that started this whole cascade down the hill of reason reported encountering Thor in the bar at 2:00 AM but did not report what he was drinking but maybe it was apple schnapps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-21-13 06:18 PM
    I sure wish that we had the ability to 'ignore' certain profiles/users.
    Click on their public profile then "add to ignore list"
    05-21-13 06:44 PM
    ...I do understand what you are trying to say but my god I was using dumb terminals 35 years ago and trust me there is not that much cost saving in your plans. 80% of the cost of a tv is in the screen!
    Even if that's true, you're forgetting the incremental costs of support for both the hardware and the software.

I don't know what experience you might have had with the whole server/client model in the past few years, but the technology has gotten very, very good.

People keep laughing at Heins' "no tablet PC market in five years" comment, but I get what he meant and I think he's on to something.

It's not even new. A good example was the OQO computer that was out several years ago. It was a little brick of a computer with a full install of XP. Had a tiny screen, but the idea was that once you got to your desk you'd just slip it in a dock and it would be connected to your full-size monitor, kb, etc. Unfortunately the hardware wasn't quite ready, and it was insanely expensive.

The tech has gotten much better, and cheaper.

05-21-13 06:52 PM
    Click on their public profile then "add to ignore list"
    Thank you so much. I had thought it was there somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 06:54 PM
    Thank you so much. I had thought it was there somewhere.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't find it in CB10 so I had to use a browser.

In the end I will be able to cut down on the noise in my view of the forums.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:12 PM
    Yeah, yuk it up. I know there's lots of "dumb" jokes, too.

If it's a better experience, for less money, where's the problem?

(PS - not trying to pretend this is for everyone... I realize there are use cases for a self-contained tablet, but if people can start carrying BlueTooth speakers to consume audio from their mobiles, why not a remote screen for consuming video?)
    The problem thunderbuck is that QNX is scaring the crap out of the Linux, every computer is an island crowd. Apple, Android and MS has have no response to this obvious cost effective iteration of mobile computing. A passive tablet is a cool ideal, end of story. I would be there in a heart beat.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-21-13 08:37 PM
    But the cost of the PadFone and it's apparent failure to capture interest in the market are therefore discounted from the argument.

Posted via CB10
    I believe, it is not the cost that determines the market share of Padfone but its "concept" and "actual" applicability... it may look interesting (on the first glance) but in real life of usage, especially a "life" that you shared with your family (kids, wife, GFs, relatives, etc), this is not a very convenient technology... you cannot use your phone while others are using the dumb tablet... and they cannot use the dumb tablet without your phone... you will lose the so-called "privacy" and "security"... it may only works on those people who are exclusively live by themselves... and those people are usually constitute a small portion of the market share...

You must have one to realize that reality... or know someone close to you, enough to see their daily lives while using that "dumb" idea... I mean, dumb tablet...

Posted via Z10
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 05-21-13 at 09:09 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-21-13 08:57 PM
    I believe, it is not the cost that determines the market share of Padfone but its "concept" and "actual" applicability... it may look interesting (on the first glance) but in real life of usage, especially a "life" that you shared with your family (kids, wife, GFs, relatives, etc), this is not a very convenient technology... you cannot use your phone while others are using the dumb tablet... and they cannot use the dumb tablet without your phone... you will lose the so-called "privacy" and "security"... it may only works on those people who are exclusively live by themselves... and those people are usually constitute a small portion of the market share...

Posted via Z10
    You don't know the implementation yet to be able to say it's that limited (though I grant that you have some points).

And your "kids" example really only applies to people with really young kids. My kids are 9 and 12 and my PlayBook is off limits to both of them.

05-21-13 09:11 PM

You must have one to realize that reality... or know someone close to you, enough to see their daily lives while using that "dumb" idea... I mean, dumb tablet...

Posted via Z10
    I think you've made some excellent points. The pb or rather PB's can be divvied amongst family members and are not limited to being tied to ONE phone. Of course, maybe that is only possible now because the pb became so unusually affordable as a "failure." But still, getting a smartphone and carrier coverage for all tykes might be a bit much so that they can control a dumb tablet. I believe there is and will be a place for tablets for a while longer.
    05-21-13 10:03 PM
146 ... 23456