@SOM: that VDI system I work with provides virtual desktops to hundreds of plain, ordinary users throughout my company, over terminals that are cheaper, easier to maintain, and have WAY lower power consumption than the PCs they replaced.

It's not theoretical; it's in everyday use by everyday users.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    Yes I understand what your saying and for office environments and static use its perfect. What about your users when they are walking down the street or sat in restaurants? After all we are talking about MOBILE computing here. If Thor has his way we will all be walking around pulling small handcarts behind us just so that we can replace what I already had with my 9860/pb combination before he stuck his beak in and ruined it. While we are on the subject, a point you raised earlier

"would you like your PlayBook to have just as good a BB10 experience as your phone has?"

Unlike many other members of this forum, I don't want bb10 anywhere near my pb thank you. If it does arrive I won't download it. I am already suffering one device running the crap OS bb10, I certainly do not want another one thank you very much. I would just like some coder to get his finger out of his arse and turn on bridge fully on my Z10. After that Thor and his merry band of muppets can do as they please.

My god I need another crap bb10 device like I need to sell my cellar!!!!!!!!
    05-20-13 03:30 PM
    "Terminal" as in end of line - death?
    Yeah, yuk it up. I know there's lots of "dumb" jokes, too.

If it's a better experience, for less money, where's the problem?

(PS - not trying to pretend this is for everyone... I realize there are use cases for a self-contained tablet, but if people can start carrying BlueTooth speakers to consume audio from their mobiles, why not a remote screen for consuming video?)
    05-20-13 03:32 PM
    This Terminal idea doesn't make much sense because of the materials cost.

Look at some BOM on various devices from iSuppli.

Take the ipad Mini. It has a $188 BOM. A big part of that, $80, is in the screen. It is hard to bring the cost down that much to justify it being a terminal as opposed to a real tablet. Add in things like a battery, Wifi, and the case and you might as well just build a tablet. A processor itself (Omap) is only $16.

Look at the Kindle Fire HD. The entire BOM is $165.

What could you cut out to make it cheap enough to do?

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    05-20-13 03:54 PM

(PS - not trying to pretend this is for everyone... I realize there are use cases for a self-contained tablet, but if people can start carrying BlueTooth speakers to consume audio from their mobiles, why not a remote screen for consuming video?)
    We already can do that without lugging around yet another piece of crap. Are we not supposed to take technology forward instead of reinventing what we already have at half the price?

The only thing so far in your statements that holds water is the fact that dumb tablets are cheaper to produce. I agree with that but so would be producing a car with no engine and asking us to pedal it.
    05-20-13 03:56 PM

How much will it cost?? What could you cut out of a PlayBook in terms of Hardware? You'll still need a basic processor and a good gpu. Still need memory. Still need battery. Still need some form of 2-Way communications between the devices - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or NFC. Going to want a front camera for video conferencing (more processor power).

So this "dumbtablet" is going to need everything the PlayBook has except for storage space and a rear camera. And it will need it's own specialized OS don't forget....

So you either buy a $300 iPad Mini, or a $200 Kindle or a $300 - $400 BB "dumbtablet" that will need another device to make it work? Because base on how BBRY has priced the Z10 and the original PlayBook, there is no way this device is going to be less than $300.
    05-20-13 04:01 PM
    How much will it cost?? What could you cut out of a PlayBook in terms of Hardware? You'll still need a basic processor and a good gpu. Still need memory. Still need battery. Still need some form of 2-Way communications between the devices - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or NFC. Going to want a front camera for video conferencing (more processor power).

So this "dumbtablet" is going to need everything the PlayBook has except for storage space and a rear camera. And it will need it's own specialized OS don't forget....

So you either buy a $300 iPad Mini, or a $200 Kindle or a $300 - $400 BB "dumbtablet" that will need another device to make it work? Because base on how BBRY has priced the Z10 and the original PlayBook, there is no way this device is going to be less than $300.
    No, the whole point is affordability. If a 10", 1080p display cost more than $200 I can't see it selling. Preferably MUCH lower, but what I'm imagining is a scenario where the tablet was a giveaway with a new phone from the carrier... And preferably a huge, introductory discount to current BB10 owners.
    05-20-13 04:37 PM

Why do we need a GPU? The screen is only there to RECEIVE the video signal.

So really it only needs a quality display, a small processor with connectivity components, and a battery.

Maybe BlackBerry could patent it, then sell the hardware. After that, they only need to get their lawyers (or accountants) lined up to deal with all of the knock-offs from Apple, Samsung, and others.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-20-13 05:01 PM
    I think people are ignoring the business considerations, too. Do this right and you only need one version of an app, in one app store.

No need to sync content to more than the phone, either.

Eskibo likes this.
    05-20-13 05:37 PM
    I think people are ignoring the fact that the BOM for a dumb screen would not be much less than the BOM for a low spec tablet.

Posted via CB10
    lnichols likes this.
    05-20-13 06:12 PM
    That's because the PB is the dumb tablet. Except the dumb dumb at RIM spend too much to make the dumb tablet that cause the write off. So now Thor is caught in a dilemma to smarten the expensive and old dumb tablet or recreate a cheaper dumb tablet that should be dumber than the old dumb tablet. The company can't reproduce the old dumb tablet to make a profit. There's not enough dumb people in the world will repurchase a newer and cheaper dumb tablet. Not if the older dumb tablet are still in circulation.
    its only a.dumb tablet becausen Rim was drunk all its life
    05-20-13 06:15 PM
    I think people are ignoring the fact that the BOM for a dumb screen would not be much less than the BOM for a low spec tablet.

Posted via CB10
    Except it would be a high-spec display.

05-20-13 06:25 PM
    Except it would be a high-spec display.

That would drive the BOM up, making the Terminal not a good value at all. As mentioned, most of the cost of a tablet is in the screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 06:34 PM
    We already can do that without lugging around yet another piece of crap. Are we not supposed to take technology forward instead of reinventing what we already have at half the price?

The only thing so far in your statements that holds water is the fact that dumb tablets are cheaper to produce. I agree with that but so would be producing a car with no engine and asking us to pedal it.
    I just came back from pedaling but I was not dragging an entire car along for the ride. Pedaling can be efficient but I don't want them to move my pedals to my car. It would just not be the same.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-20-13 06:50 PM
    I just came back from pedaling but I was not dragging an entire car along for the ride. Pedaling can be efficient but I don't want them to move my pedals to my car. It would just not be the same.
    F2.....you sir need BB10/QNX on a segway or maybe a samsung bendy display handle bars ?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-20-13 06:54 PM
    That would drive the BOM up, making the Terminal not a good value at all. As mentioned, most of the cost of a tablet is in the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Don't just concentrate on the BOM. A dumb device would cost BB a lot less to support, too.

Let's go another way here. Say you're a developer, and you've done up a BB10 phone app. If a native BB10 tablet were to appear, there's a good chance you might have to alter your code to get it to work properly. Then there's the question of whether you offer the tablet version to customers who bought the phone version, or who might have bought the previous PlayBook version. And would it even be worth doing special work for a tablet version if the tablet sells badly? It gets surprisingly tricky.

The dumb tablet strategy eliminates all these questions. It doesn't just simplify the device, it simplifies the business.
    05-20-13 06:59 PM
    Oh, and btw, BB is looking to implement Miracast in BB10.2. If this is the technology they implement for the so-called "dumb tablet" (and it would make sense), there's already all manner of Android phone users who could use it, too...
    05-20-13 07:02 PM
    Oh, and btw, BB is looking to implement Miracast in BB10.2. If this is the technology they implement for the so-called "dumb tablet" (and it would make sense), there's already all manner of Android phone users who could use it, too...
    I personally would love a hubless bb10 or a hub like messages app that I can open and close at will. more like a fuctional messages app compared to the one we currently have. and replace all the air apps with native/cascades
    and give me a new keyboard
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-20-13 07:17 PM
    I think people are ignoring the business considerations, too. Do this right and you only need one version of an app, in one app store.

No need to sync content to more than the phone, either.

It could also solve a security concern by keeping sensitive data on one device.

I am warming up to your idea Thunderbuck. Most people have their phone within arms reach. Having used bridge for so long I'm used to having my 9900 within bluetooth range. The battery life for the tablet should have much better battery life. The phone battery would take a hit though. I often have to move content from phone to tablet or tablet to phone. That wouldn't be an issue anymore.
    This would use Miracast? That's something newer Android phones are capable of.
    05-20-13 07:25 PM
    I personally would love a hubless bb10 or a hub like messages app that I can open and close at will. more like a fuctional messages app compared to the one we currently have. and replace all the air apps with native/cascades
    and give me a new keyboard
    As far as the PB update goes, I'm guessing that there would be an update to the current OS 2.1. If that's the case, I, too would like to see the BB10 browser and kb make it over. Possibly, the terminal connection to a phone could be done as an app within 2.x, who knows?
    05-20-13 07:27 PM
    As far as the PB update goes, I'm guessing that there would be an update to the current OS 2.1. If that's the case, I, too would like to see the BB10 browser and kb make it over. Possibly, the terminal connection to a phone could be done as an app within 2.x, who knows?
    honestly I want nothing more than the bb10 keyboard,browser, cascades framework, heck I don't even care if they call it bb10 lite as opposed to pbos 2.x I think it would be good for the brand to drop the pb os moniker and make it all bb10 or bb10 lite wouod it not ?
    05-20-13 07:34 PM
    Whoever behind the idea of "dumb" tablet is like that "idea"...

BlackBerry don't need to create a "dumb" tablet... they need only to continually improve the current PlayBook (both OS and hardware) and with continuing & increasing supports from the the third party developers, they will surely get back to the game (tablet market)...

Posted via Z10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-20-13 08:19 PM
    Whoever behind the idea of "dumb" tablet is like that "idea"...

BlackBerry don't need to create a "dumb" tablet... they need only to continually improve the current PlayBook (both OS and hardware) and with continuing & increasing supports from the the third party developers, they will surely get back to the game (tablet market)...

Posted via Z10
    a dumb tablet makes sense on soo many levels

much less support cost overhead
    much cheaper tablet for consumers
    makes a beefed bridge support possible (what was originally intended for playbook)
    Thunderbuck and Eskibo like this.
    05-20-13 08:27 PM
    I like the idea of a dumb tablet. As long as the transfer rate doesn't compromise the browsing and overall performance experience, I'm game.

Now work on some good office suite programs, CRM programs, get me a keyboard and mouse and you can have my computer

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    05-20-13 08:41 PM
    The "concept" is already available in the market (a.k.a. Asus Padfone 2)... and it is not cheap... it cost around US$900...

The "dumb" tablet may look cheap when you buy it separately... but the tablet is useless without buying the phone (its brain)... in the end, you will end up buying two devices... and again, only one of these two devices can stand alone... you may say that it is cheaper than independent tablet (the one that got its own brain)... but when your niece, nephew, own children or even one of your family members started to wrestler with your phone just to let the "dumb" tablet works, you will start to think how dumb you are to buy that tablet... my brother got Asus Padfone 2 and two lovable and super-hyper active children... and he is experiencing it right now...

Posted via Z10
    05-20-13 08:55 PM
    All I know is, whatever they do, 10.2, full blown zBridge, virtual Zscreen or terminal, for the love of all things bacon, make the device actions parallel each other. I sideswipe on my PB and upswipe on my Z10. Give me uniformity. Thanks

Sent from pin:500F7B4A PlayBook on the blazing fast T-Mobile refarmed 1900 frequency
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-20-13 08:56 PM
146 1234 ...