So the rumor is that blackberry will release cheap screens (see below). This is what Thor has been saying is his vision and it is also cheap so this seems like a credible rumor to me. Enterprises might like it too as it saves them money. Geez if the computing power is in the phone and enterprise has a BYOD, then they can shift all the expense to the consumer and all the enterprise has to do is buy big cheap screens. The enterprise gets to use Blackberry Balance to in effect rent protected space on the consumer's phone in which the consumer has no control.

Excerpt from the article:
    "According to our source BlackBerry has plans in place to launch a dummy tablet device. Think Asus’ Padfone just with BlackBerry 10. Now this sounds pretty crazy, we know, but it’s still a very interesting idea all the same.

Our source said the logic behind the concept was three fold:

It’s a cheaper and more cost-effective solution than producing a proper tablet device.
    There’s a massive demand for larger form devices from BlackBerry’s core business users.
    BlackBerry needs something unique to compete with Apple’s iPad in the enterprise space..."

The future of BlackBerry 10 & rumours of a
    05-18-13 12:39 PM
    PadFone? Doesn't the physical phone get inserted into the tablet?

I would much rather see a wireless bridge connection to the screen.

This would mean the smartphone stays on your hip while you hold the external screen.

Posted via CB10
    jpash549 likes this.
    05-18-13 01:07 PM
    I think a dumb tablet is a dumb idea.

Posted via CB10
    Dave XII, Eskibo, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    05-18-13 01:43 PM
    I think this would make a lot of sense.

+ Why is there no real BlackBerry Bridge for BB10? Because there will only be a Bridge - nothing else - but it's not ready yet.

+10.2 adds Wifi direct and mirrorcast - two features that would make it possible.

+Thorsten Heins said that we need only one computing device - and he said that there is may a need for a bigger screen.

+The "wireless screen" could be very thin, cheap and have a low voltage CPU and a great battery life.

+BlackBerry could have launched bb10 for PlayBook very easy - but why didn't they do it?

+Mulit-User support via NFC would make it a great tool for enterprise.

+Thinking forward there is nothing bad about the idea. You can access all the apps, all your content - have your data always synced.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 02:33 PM
    Sounds like the playbook is getting bb10 afterall.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9070 met Tapatalk
    KDB84 likes this.
    05-18-13 02:46 PM
    Sounds like the playbook is getting bb10 afterall.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9070 met Tapatalk
    More likely a Dumb-book gets it...
    05-18-13 04:05 PM
    The dumb book can get the latest version as long as the PB gets the 1st version 10.

Posted via Z10 at&t
    05-18-13 04:30 PM
    So a acknowledgement Playbook was a dumb name to market to BB users -business- for the main part and now your Playbook Dumbbook will not function as you expect under BB10 OS, it will lock down wifi to streaming and any use only BB allow, you will now only have a extention of a BB QNX mobile on a bigger screen for easier functionality for business use. As all data now comes through a bridged QNX product the future is BB close down BIS servers and save money, networks make money on data and the end consumer will be happy with it as that is what BB is offering.

BB OS is Whored out to OEM as WindowsPhone, BBM is Whored out to all mobile OS (why Skype replaced Messenger with a multi OS footprint) and BB becomes a software compnay.

It's called cost cutting, running to.ground ready for takeover.

(And it's easier for M/Soft to overtake BB when it's on its knees as it's a software company and no market commission will stop it as the hardware is not a market share, BB BIS/BES becomes Microsoft Secure and a Surfacesque Phone plays along side OEM handsets, Microsoft monopoly BBM folds into - Skype Secure & runs along with normal Skype and Secure users are verified as such in Skype to keep.security when exchanging files, your pin will register to a msn etc email to verify secure user from a microphone and the verification will not show when connected to a non Microsoft OS)

2016:
    "Dont trust your home internet connection with your card details? Simply connect your Windows QNX PC/laptop/xbox to your Microphone for worldwide secure browsing, Microphone also connects to any standard HDMI/NFC screen, job done"

Microsoft Microphone, We hear you - Simply Better, Simply Secure.

MS want BB security, have no doubt, it's one feature all Microsoft (and others) do not have.
    05-18-13 07:13 PM
    They have shown this idea off in concept videos (can't find the links.) It's very innovative and an advancement in technology. I don't think the smartphone should be the only device to control the "Dumb" device things though. I feel like the smarter device should come in multiple form factors; Z10, Q10, Phablet, 7 inch, and 10 inch.

The highest end device should also have high specs; Quad Core, two 12MP cameras, 4G ram, 3000mAh battery, unlocked universal GSM/CDMA/WiMax antenna (only one model of each device for the entire earth), NFC, and Qi wireless charging.

QNX's technology isn't ready though. It still has a lot of flaws like reboots and short battery life. This can all be fixed with a hardware bump and some minor software changes.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    05-18-13 07:18 PM
    They have shown this idea off in concept videos (can't find the links.) It's very innovative and an advancement in technology. I don't think the smartphone should be the only device to control the "Dumb" device things though. I feel like the smarter device should come in multiple form factors; Z10, Q10, Phablet, 7 inch, and 10 inch.

The highest end device should also have high specs; Quad Core, two 12MP cameras, 4G ram, 3000mAh battery, unlocked universal GSM/CDMA/WiMax antenna (only one model of each device for the entire earth), NFC, and Qi wireless charging.

QNX's technology isn't ready though. It still has a lot of flaws like reboots and short battery life. This can all be fixed with a hardware bump and some minor software changes.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    You mean like Xbox Surfaceglass and WP currently and the new 720 and WP 8.5 extends on?

The devices will be OEM with a licence per handset, all sizes and shapes without the direction risk (something that has consumed BB life) all to a WP minimum standard like WP7/8.

Microsoft will finish QNX easily.
    05-18-13 07:28 PM
    My Z10 powering a 10" screen, or powering my battered old beloved 7" PB?!? Hellz Yeah! Make it so Thor!
    2cats1dog likes this.
    05-18-13 10:14 PM
    Maybe "Passive Tablet" is what they should be marketing...

Or "Passive Slate"

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    05-19-13 03:55 AM
    Maybe "Passive Tablet" is what they should be marketing...

Or "Passive Slate"

Posted via CB10
    Your right about passive, passing over the reigns
    05-19-13 04:08 AM
    My Z10 powering a 10" screen, or powering my battered old beloved 7" PB?!? Hellz Yeah! Make it so Thor!
    I'm in too. The only thing wrong with the Z10 is the small screen. Mirror the BB10 device output to a PB or 10" screen for the win.
    icniagara, claffeeba and KDB84 like this.
    05-19-13 04:34 AM
    sounds like the palm foleo or the how the playbook was originally limited under previous os
    05-19-13 05:23 AM
    I think a dumb tablet is a dumb idea.

Posted via CB10
    they should update PB instead!

Posted via CB10
    icniagara likes this.
    05-19-13 05:40 AM
    The Palm Foleo died an early death, just before the rest of the company got bought over by HP. Maybe the BlackBerry DumbBook is a sign of similar things to come for BBRY.
    Dave XII likes this.
    05-19-13 10:01 AM
    I think the BlackBerry's plan for a dumb tablet is a dumb excuse for not pushing the BB10 to PlayBook...

Only dumb PlayBook's owners accepts that dumb reasoning...

Posted via Z10
    05-19-13 10:18 AM
    I think the BlackBerry's plan for a dumb tablet is a dumb excuse for not pushing the BB10 to PlayBook...

Only dumb PlayBook's owners accepts that dumb reasoning...

Posted via Z10
    That's because the PB is the dumb tablet. Except the dumb dumb at RIM spend too much to make the dumb tablet that cause the write off. So now Thor is caught in a dilemma to smarten the expensive and old dumb tablet or recreate a cheaper dumb tablet that should be dumber than the old dumb tablet. The company can't reproduce the old dumb tablet to make a profit. There's not enough dumb people in the world will repurchase a newer and cheaper dumb tablet. Not if the older dumb tablet are still in circulation.
    FF22 and solomon_grundy like this.
    05-19-13 12:04 PM
    So the rumor is that blackberry will release cheap screens (see below). This is what Thor has been saying is his vision and it is also cheap so this seems like a credible rumor to me. Enterprises might like it too as it saves them money. Geez if the computing power is in the phone and enterprise has a BYOD, then they can shift all the expense to the consumer and all the enterprise has to do is buy big cheap screens. The enterprise gets to use Blackberry Balance to in effect rent protected space on the consumer's phone in which the consumer has no control.

Excerpt from the article:
    "According to our source BlackBerry has plans in place to launch a dummy tablet device. Think Asus’ Padfone just with BlackBerry 10. Now this sounds pretty crazy, we know, but it’s still a very interesting idea all the same.

Our source said the logic behind the concept was three fold:

It’s a cheaper and more cost-effective solution than producing a proper tablet device.
    There’s a massive demand for larger form devices from BlackBerry’s core business users.
    BlackBerry needs something unique to compete with Apple’s iPad in the enterprise space..."

The future of BlackBerry 10 & rumours of a
    we have a Dumb Tablet already - called PB
    how many more do we need?
    FF22 and blueberrymerry like this.
    05-20-13 02:11 PM
    As I mentioned in my other thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the BB10 PlayBook update comes in the form of a terminal client.

I might be more comfortable with this than many. I've run a virtual desktop infrastructure at work and I know how powerful and usable it can be.

And I know the original PlayBook has enough juice to run a remote BB10 client that would work way better than "native" BB10 would.

Consider some of the implications: that sideloaded Netflix you have on your Z10? Suddenly you can watch on your tablet screen without installing it there, too. Games would play better here too.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    05-20-13 02:27 PM
    As I mentioned in my other thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the BB10 PlayBook update comes in the form of a terminal client.

I might be more comfortable with this than many. I've run a virtual desktop infrastructure at work and I know how powerful and usable it can be.

And I know the original PlayBook has enough juice to run a remote BB10 client that would work way better than "native" BB10 would.

Consider some of the implications: that sideloaded Netflix you have on your Z10? Suddenly you can watch on your tablet screen without installing it there, too. Games would play better here too.

Please don't take this the wrong way but in the scenario (office) or home environment its a brilliant 'CONCEPT'. For the normal everyday user (majority of users) that gets a phone and doesn't do anything apart from text, call and receive calls its a pointless venture. As other members have stated, other companies have tried it and failed......... Mmmmmmmm maybe you have a valid point because RIM excel in failing like no other company. They could rush one out unfinished of course, with a minute battery but enclosed in a very fancy case and we could all walk around looking like plonkers! What size would make us look really stupid, should RIM make a 50 inch or a 32 inch dumb screen?
    05-20-13 02:43 PM
    Sooo, again, would you like your PlayBook to have just as good a BB10 experience as your phone has? Just as fast, just as smooth, and with all the apps? There's only one way, and it only comes with one small catch.

05-20-13 02:52 PM
    @SOM: that VDI system I work with provides virtual desktops to hundreds of plain, ordinary users throughout my company, over terminals that are cheaper, easier to maintain, and have WAY lower power consumption than the PCs they replaced.

It's not theoretical; it's in everyday use by everyday users.

05-20-13 02:56 PM

"Terminal" as in end of line - death?
    05-20-13 03:20 PM
146 123 ...