Has anyone heard if they are going to release a playbook version of Protect incase you misplace your playbok you are able to track it and find its location form a PC? I think this could be handy for those of us that travel alot with our palybooks. I also like the idea of being able to wipe it out if lost do to sensitivity of the information on it.
    05-05-11 09:41 AM
    +1 would definitely love that
    05-05-11 09:55 AM
    Not sure, but don't think they can do that unless they come out with a 3g model. Till then, I doubt the current wifi playbooks are capable. I could be wrong.
    05-05-11 10:00 AM
    Not sure, but don't think they can do that unless they come out with a 3g model. Till then, I doubt the current wifi playbooks are capable. I could be wrong.
    I understand this but they could make it to where if someone was using it and it had a wifi connection it could locate it and send a notification to you of its current location.
    05-05-11 10:03 AM
    Unfortunately, first we need a functioning GPS, and then it would have to be in a wifi location so you could communicate with it.

Not possible till it goes 3G/4G

Great idea though.
    05-05-11 10:05 AM
    I think it would be possible with a wifi only version. Apple's Find my iPad works with wifi only. At the bottom it says (bolding is mine):

Find My iPad enables you to locate your iPad only when it is on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or has an active 3G data plan.
    Except the PlayBook one ups the wifi only iPad because we have GPS built in. So, in theory, as long as the PB has an active data connection via wifi, it could be found.

I would love to see RIM bring this to the PlayBook, and I hope they do.
    05-05-11 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD