I have never done a back up before but wanted to do one today as I recently bought a few apps and want to back everything on my playbook to my computer. Every time I click "backup", I get this message "There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected." My device is turned on and it is connected. How do I fix this problem. PLease, any help is greatly appreciated. I'm stuck and in great need of assistance
    11-01-11 07:32 PM
    There are a few threads and some suggestions. I canNOT back up.

Try the selective backup (I can't get that to work either).

Try another computer if possible.
    11-01-11 08:38 PM
    Seems some have transferred their files to their computer with copy and paste and have done a debrick and can backup since doing that. I know that you F2 don't want to do that due to your free apps that will no longer be free if you do so.
    11-01-11 08:55 PM
    Are you backing up your media files also? How large are they. I had problems when trying to backup the media files with everything else.
    11-01-11 09:01 PM
    Seems some have transferred their files to their computer with copy and paste and have done a debrick and can backup since doing that. I know that you F2 don't want to do that due to your free apps that will no longer be free if you do so.
    I probably should ask in another thread and I don't know how kosher it is but apparently there is a way to extract app files from the pb. If I could do that for those apps, and then restore them, I could use debrick and blow away a few hours while the pb is restored with all of my media files.
    11-01-11 11:32 PM
    F2, have you tried backing it up on a Mac? Mine wouldn't backup on a PC and the Mac program did not have backup. Just after OS2 beta was introduced, a new version of desktop manager was released for the Mac with backup ability. This software was able to backup, debrick, and restore my Playbook.
    11-02-11 05:09 AM
    I have never done a back up before but wanted to do one today as I recently bought a few apps and want to back everything on my playbook to my computer. Every time I click "backup", I get this message "There could have been a problem with the device or connection during the backup. Verify that the device is turned on and connected." My device is turned on and it is connected. How do I fix this problem. PLease, any help is greatly appreciated. I'm stuck and in great need of assistance
    Is it a 32g model, and how packed is your PB?
    1) One reason could be your HDD space at PC is already full.

2) Otherwise you should try other USB slot, try rebooting the PC,
    3) Restarting your PB
    4) Close all applications including firewall and antivirus on PC as it may form unnecessary restrictions
    5) When connected you are not supposed to tap on the 'dismiss' button on PB

Hope that helps!

-16g PB user
    11-02-11 05:38 AM
    F2, have you tried backing it up on a Mac? Mine wouldn't backup on a PC and the Mac program did not have backup. Just after OS2 beta was introduced, a new version of desktop manager was released for the Mac with backup ability. This software was able to backup, debrick, and restore my Playbook.
    My first thought was no, I don't know anyone with a Mac. Then a quick, smirky smile broke out. I do have a friend who has a mac and there are probably fewer anal people than him. So the chance of being able to ask to install a FOREIGN program on that computer - NOT A CHANCE!

But thanks for the idea. I am guessing, like others, that some app on my pb has bollixed up some pointer/index/memory locale and stops the process for backup.
    11-02-11 09:49 AM
    My first thought was no, I don't know anyone with a Mac. Then a quick, smirky smile broke out. I do have a friend who has a mac and there are probably fewer anal people than him. So the chance of being able to ask to install a FOREIGN program on that computer - NOT A CHANCE!

But thanks for the idea. I am guessing, like others, that some app on my pb has bollixed up some pointer/index/memory locale and stops the process for backup.
    I am relatively new to Macs and it is actually the first time that the solution may have been on a Mac.
    11-02-11 10:00 AM
    I probably should ask in another thread and I don't know how kosher it is but apparently there is a way to extract app files from the pb.
    Unfortunately the only way to do that is through the backup. If you can't back up, you can't use that technique to get the app files either.
    11-02-11 10:17 AM
    Unfortunately the only way to do that is through the backup. If you can't back up, you can't use that technique to get the app files either.
    Ah, so one can extract apps from the backup image stored on the computer. Ah, the ol' Catch22. Can't get there from here.

On day, real not soon, I will bite the bullet and blow away those apps and WIPE the darn thing!

Oh, and I never installed the Android leak or the OS2 beta. I have sideloaded a few apps.
    Last edited by F2; 11-02-11 at 11:06 AM.
    11-02-11 11:02 AM
    So I was killing myself trying to backup my playbook. It frustrated me to no end cause I wanted to take a peak at the 2.0 beta. After getting fed up with it I updated anyways and everything went great, no lost data or apps or anything. So I thought I would give 2.0 a backup try, and what do you know it works flawlessly. So hopefully once the official 2.0 comes this problem will be a thing of the past!
    01-17-12 09:06 PM
    Do you have PC recipe book app installed? its been known to cause backup issues. If so, just delete it and reinstall after
    01-18-12 05:29 AM
    First off, the backup starts automatically without having to "click backup." That said, tell us what your OS on your PB is, what PC/Mac you use and what OS they're on, and what apps have you downloaded so far. We can go from there once we have this info.
    01-18-12 06:18 AM
    There is a mysterious part to this kind of an issue, I have heard it helped many perform a backup.

Shut off both your bluetooth and wifi connection on your Playbook, then connect it to your computer and give the backup a try.

Good luck
    01-18-12 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD