i dont know if this is the right forum for this post...

But id like to know peoples views on which tablet would be best to purchase when they are released, i am torn between the playbook and the Xoom

i've researched both and they both seem amazing too be honest,

just wondered what peoples opinions and views where

thanks
    03-20-11 07:58 AM
    Biggest differences I see are 1) portability. I want a 7" form factor. 2) OS. I tried Xoom's Honeycomb for a bit at a store and didn't find it very intuitive. Meanwhile, though I haven't palyed with a PB, it seems QNX has one heck of a future.

For those reasons plus the fact that I own a BB already, I'll be going with PB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 08:08 AM
    I will be watching this thread and anxious to see comments. I have had my money saved for months for my purchase but am now becoming so confused as to what to get. The iPad 2 is so compelling because of the apps but the PB and Xoom are better machines. I have struggled with this for two weeks and will be anxious to see all 3 in person so I can make an educated decision. I have been such a devoted BB fan so I would feel guilty for defecting to another platform.
    03-20-11 08:10 AM
    If you're not in a hurry, wait a few weeks until you can get your hands on all of them in a store to get some play time then make your decision. What's right for someone won't be for someone else.
    03-20-11 08:14 AM
    What do you want to do with your tablet?
    Are you planning to continue using Blackberry phones for the next 12-18 months?

as yourself those 2 questions.
    IF you plan to keep using a Blackberry device, then the Playbook gets a bit of a boost by having the bridging feature.

As for what you plan to do, if you are going to use it sitting at a desk or on the couch mostly, the 10" of the xoom, might be nice to have,
    if you think you'll use it on public transport, or while dashing in and out of meetings, then the playbook would probably be a more portable size.
    mcjohn likes this.
    03-20-11 08:15 AM
    I will be watching this thread and anxious to see comments. I have had my money saved for months for my purchase but am now becoming so confused as to what to get. The iPad 2 is so compelling because of the apps but the PB and Xoom are better machines. I have struggled with this for two weeks and will be anxious to see all 3 in person so I can make an educated decision. I have been such a devoted BB fan so I would feel guilty for defecting to another platform.
    i know exactly where you are coming from, i have been a loyal Blackberry customer for a long time, so i am swinging towards the playbook purely because of is "real" multi tasking function, but on the other hand the xoom looks amazing i suppose we should wait till all 3 are out and then have a hands on decision..
    03-20-11 08:15 AM
    I'm going for the Blackberry Playbook.
    Personally I do not like the android OS and Motorola's customer service isn't what it should be.

I'm already a Blackberry user and I prefer the OS above the others.
    Yes I know QNX is different but I trust Blackberry on this one as well.
    03-20-11 08:19 AM
    What do you want to do with your tablet?
    Are you planning to continue using Blackberry phones for the next 12-18 months?

as yourself those 2 questions.
    IF you plan to keep using a Blackberry device, then the Playbook gets a bit of a boost by having the bridging feature.

As for what you plan to do, if you are going to use it sitting at a desk or on the couch mostly, the 10" of the xoom, might be nice to have,
    if you think you'll use it on public transport, or while dashing in and out of meetings, then the playbook would probably be a more portable size.
    i dont have meetings, and i am sure i will be staying with blackberry phones for the forseable future, i will mainley want my tablet for websites, media those sort of things, but then again the playbook will have the BBM feature which would be nice....
    03-20-11 08:19 AM
    If you're not in a hurry, wait a few weeks until you can get your hands on all of them in a store to get some play time then make your decision. What's right for someone won't be for someone else.
    that is true the best action would be wait until they are released and then have a good play with both of them and decide from there
    03-20-11 08:21 AM
    The answer is subjective at best. Both are great tabs and it more or less depends on the end user. Obviously people here at CB are more inclined to say the PB, whereas if you went to Android Central, you'd hear the Xoom. I think it's going to come down to which size is best for you? 10" or 7". I'd suggest going into the store when the PB is released and giving them both a go and see which you like best.
    03-20-11 08:52 AM
    The answer is subjective at best. Both are great tabs and it more or less depends on the end user. Obviously people here at CB are more inclined to say the PB, whereas if you went to Android Central, you'd hear the Xoom. I think it's going to come down to which size is best for you? 10" or 7". I'd suggest going into the store when the PB is released and giving them both a go and see which you like best.
    As usual he says it best. Comes down to size and what you like best. But if you had said iPad2 vs. Xoom then there would be a harder decision as they're both practically the same size.
    03-20-11 08:59 AM
    Than it would be the huge app echo system vrs using a locked down device.

As usual he says it best. Comes down to size and what you like best. But if you had said iPad2 vs. Xoom then there would be a harder decision as they're both practically the same size.
    03-20-11 09:05 AM
    If you are BlackBerry accustomed, you won't disappoint buying playbook.
    Playbook will be hybrid of BlackBerry, android, and tab..
    I think PB is the most effective multi-tasking device produced ever.
    I go for PB.

03-20-11 09:10 AM
    Bingo. Xoom is my only second choice and I have "laid hands" on a xoom. Nice device.

Pros:
    1) Large 10.1 screen that looks good, really good.
    2) Powerful.
    3) Honeycomb is nice and built for tablets.
    4) Good features with dual led flash on the back and power button on the back.

Cons:
    1) Honeycomb IN TIME will be good, it is buggy and unfinished.
    2) Not many apps in the market for android 3.0. In time more will come.
    3) Many android 2.x apps crash on 3.0.
    4) Flash is out, but NOT hardware accelerated and still "coming soon" for that.
    5) Large device (yes it is positive to) makes it big to carry.
    6) Front camera sucks and video chats online in demo shows the camera is ok at best.
    7) Lag in the os with typing and such know issues.

NOT bashing he xoom, as I have researched it but RIM has let developers go 6 months for lots of apps and adobe is INTEGRATED into qnx and already running 1080p full hardware acceleration. Android Honeycomb 3.0 is a nice os, but it will take the rest of the year I think for it to grow up. Wait on the playbook and try both!
    03-20-11 09:14 AM
    The main factor in the decision making process will probably be the size and how you use the device.

Try a Kindle or the Galaxy Tab...they are similar in size to the PlayBook.
    03-20-11 10:41 AM
    If the PB ends up running android apps, that's that!
    03-20-11 11:49 AM
    Well I've seen the begining PB apps. The "few" that are out look very promising. Hopefully when the playbook goes live a lot of interest will be turned to it. Maybe well see some apps that rival the ipad. Either way I'm sticking with blackberry all the way. I've looked and played with the xoom but it lacks a lot. The playbook is new with a lot of potential with QNX.

03-20-11 12:53 PM
    I've got my heart set on the Playbook. Having used both, there's really no comparison in my mind, either. I've owned an iPad that was ultimately sold due to its size - 10.1" is simply too big to bring anywhere outside of the house, and even when you can manage to, it's goofy-looking (in my opinion, of course). Honeycomb feels very much like beta software (and much like beta software, I'm sure it'll improve with time).

Tablet OS, even in its pre-release stage, is still very snappy and makes good use of the great hardware within. The 7" form factor seems perfect - it's big enough to get things done on, but small enough that you can take it anywhere and pull it out whenever needed. Just my two cents, but there's really no contest. I'm not even a RIM fanboy (never owned a BB, only iPhones) and the PB is the best tablet I've seen/used.
    03-20-11 04:54 PM
    I've got my heart set on the Playbook. Having used both, there's really no comparison in my mind, either. I've owned an iPad that was ultimately sold due to its size - 10.1" is simply too big to bring anywhere outside of the house, and even when you can manage to, it's goofy-looking (in my opinion, of course). Honeycomb feels very much like beta software (and much like beta software, I'm sure it'll improve with time).

Tablet OS, even in its pre-release stage, is still very snappy and makes good use of the great hardware within. The 7" form factor seems perfect - it's big enough to get things done on, but small enough that you can take it anywhere and pull it out whenever needed. Just my two cents, but there's really no contest. I'm not even a RIM fanboy (never owned a BB, only iPhones) and the PB is the best tablet I've seen/used.
    Well I can put a lot of confidence in this posters opinion, he states this is the best tablet he has "seen/used"??????????????????????????????????????
    03-20-11 05:06 PM
    Well I can put a lot of confidence in this posters opinion, he states this is the best tablet he has "seen/used"??????????????????????????????????????
    What do you mean by that? Just giving my opinion. OP asked which tablet we felt was better and I gave my answer.
    03-20-11 05:10 PM
    A lot of people have seen and used the PB. It's been demoed for 3 months across the world. In the last 2 months it's been on display in public events. I appreciate the fact that a non-Berry user appreciates the tablet for what it can be on its own. I really think that QNX will be RIM's turn around. TBH, never was all that impressed with 5 and 6. They were nice upgrades, but that was all. QNX is a whole different beast....
    03-20-11 05:13 PM
    thanks for all the feedback guys, im gonna keep saving and then wait till release and have a play with them both then decide, i hope it isnt june when its released thats ages away :/
    03-22-11 05:35 AM
    thanks for all the feedback guys, im gonna keep saving and then wait till release and have a play with them both then decide, i hope it isnt june when its released thats ages away :/
    Nope not June they are taking pre-orders now.
    03-22-11 07:55 AM
    But is it worth not getting the WI -fi version and waiting till the 4g and WI fi version comes out?

03-22-11 08:09 AM
    But is it worth not getting the WI -fi version and waiting till the 4g and WI fi version comes out?

depends if you want to pay for another data plan
    03-22-11 08:11 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD