Does anyone know what the BlackBerry PlayBook Soft Shell is made of.

No glue I have tried will stick very well.

Could it be made out of Polyethylene or polypropylene?

07-10-12 06:33 PM
    What do you want to glue it for?
    07-10-12 06:39 PM
    I'm making a custom case and I want to glue it to leather.
    07-10-12 07:00 PM
    sew it. I believe the soft shell and the cover on the convertible case are the same thing.

The thing on the convertible case attached like that.

(I was trying to do the same.. but I'm trying with a silicone tpu case).
    07-10-12 07:12 PM
    My convertable case turned to crap and I removed the soft shell.

It is sew on but it is aso glued and that stuff is tuff. I got it off but you have to use a razor knif to cut the glus and you can not get it all off.

Super glue dries but the leather will pull right off of it with a fair amout of force. I was going to try silicone adheasive or contact cement next or even try polyurathane glue.

07-10-12 07:23 PM
    Staples? or extra sewing?
    07-10-12 11:06 PM
    Office Depot has the Targus Truss for PlayBook at a pretty good price compared to the RIM convertible. At less then half of the convertible you could pick up a couple of them and not ruin your PlayBook. Just a suggestion, hate seeing someone doing something permanent like that.
    07-11-12 01:42 AM
    Have you tried some "No nails" ?
    07-11-12 02:16 PM
    I finally found a glue that worked to glue a BBPB soft shell to an old style Cygnet case, the one pictured here that covers most of the screen.

I carefully cut the stiching off of the part that holds the playbook to the cygnet case, then I glued a BBPB soft shell case to the cygnett case with Loctite High Performance Spray Adhesive. The glue has to say that it will join polyethylene and or polypropylene to get a good bond.

I got it at lowes.

Shop LOCTITE Loctite Spray Adhesive High Performance at Lowes.com

And here loctite's page.
    Loctite Spray Adhesive High Performance from Loctite Adhesives

I bought a black, purple and sandstone one and got the sandstone one complete. See the photo attachment to see it finished.

Still not a perfect case as you can't charge it in the case but it has a nice look other than black. I'm going to do the purple one next. And I may even sell them.

07-12-12 02:31 PM
    Here is a purple hybrid case I put together.
    07-12-12 04:29 PM
    Looks good but was there no other way to make use of these cases without gluing them directly to your pb? The original case covered the bezel.

Something like these for holding it together?

07-12-12 04:43 PM
    My playbook is not glued to the cover........

I glued a soft shell case into the cover and the playbook is in that.

I have seen many playbooks for sale on ebay that have the corners damaged, the polypropylene soft shell is very tough but yet some what soft.

I got the shells for just a few bucks each and the cygnett cases for about 8 bucks.

I have a covertible case thats OK but as you know they only come in black.

I like the color choice and I want my case to protect the corners as well.

That is why I made up 2 color hybrid cases.
    Last edited by kretch; 07-12-12 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-12-12 05:25 PM
    suggestion: elastic band to keep the case snap shut. I did this modification to my Convertible case so the lid doesnt open everytime..

you might also consider in the future opening a hole in the lower part so that the playbook can be charger while the case is closed.
    07-12-12 06:20 PM
    I have one that I made from a stretchy draw sting out of a hoodie but I'm looking for a flat one about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. Were did you get your elastic??
    07-12-12 06:54 PM
    I bought mine at a local store... ( I live in Guatemala, so ... ) It was like $0.40 for a Yard.

Look into a store that sells handcrafts or sewing stuff.

Here are some pics of how I used the elastic in a cover I made for my bluetooth keyboard. This one I did sew and was a hassle because I did I by hand and the shell was too thick so I had to put on some extra effort.

The easiest way to incorporate an elastic without having to sew much is by placing a band between the softshell and the lid. In your case it'll be sorta in the middle. so when you open your case the elastic should be around your volume buttons and when you want to close you just drag to snap shut.

This is a video I made a while back you'll have a better idea starting on min 3:00.

(i'll show you my custom case when I finish it... I did mine from zero thou..)
    07-12-12 07:55 PM
    Does anyone know what the BlackBerry PlayBook Soft Shell is made of.

My guess is it's made of soft shells?
    07-12-12 09:11 PM
    I have one that I made from a stretchy draw sting out of a hoodie but I'm looking for a flat one about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. Were did you get your elastic??
    a headband is another option too... I rather get a few yards of elastic, having spares is good.

I think there's a store in the US called Joans Fabrics or something... I know you can get some elastic there.
    07-13-12 01:17 AM
    Alekza.... Thanks for your reply I did the same thing as in your video a few months ago with a piece of black strechy cord the exact way you did yours, the cord goes were the fold is on the bak and does not leave a bump betweeen the case and the back of the soft shell.

I have gone to Joann fabrics. They mostly have black, white and off colors that dont match the purple and the sandstone. I think I will most likely end up using black I also looked into my local awning shop trying to see if they have oval eyelet gromets to put in the edge where the charging ports are but they are all to small to get micro usb through.

I will keep looking for a solution.

My next project will be to make one out of some exotic wood I have been hoarding for some 20 years now. I have some beautiful ebony and some very nice kingwood that would look out of this world.

07-13-12 09:47 AM