ok even if i get the 32 gig it seems like you guys are having alot of down sides to the playbook from what i hear do you think these problems will be solved?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Quite possibly... the question is when. Consider it took one year for spell check and native email to arrive and RIM have bigger fish to fry right now than ever before.
    06-24-12 06:06 PM
    If you don't need:
    Skype, Netflix, Kindle viewer, Google Maps, a map client that actually works and gives you correct directions when you are stuck in Iceland, at native Dropbox, reliable PDF reader, reliable file browser, reliable web browser , usable cut copy paste from anywhere, integrat ed contacts email across apps, organized bookmarks, reliable email / organizer, notepad,...and more. Then you should be ok.

I love my PB but I have come to fall in love with this developmentally disabled tablet. I guess that makes me non superficial?
    Fixed that for you. There are apps for that. Some good ones too.
    06-24-12 08:19 PM
    Kindle can be sideloaded too.

Still my favorite tablet. Hope it is supposed for a long time.
    06-24-12 08:55 PM
    i was thinking of getting the blackberry playbook 16 gig but i was wondering if it was worth it or should i wait till a new one comes out

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Yes, you should have blackberry playbook 32GB, it is great for you
    06-24-12 10:29 PM
    Should you get it? The answer is yes
    In all seriousness, I love my PlayBook and have had it since day 1. I would easily take a PlayBook over an iPad any day but the Flash experience is important to me and the PlayBook is so portable partnered with Bridge for the current prices, go as large as you can afford and you will find new uses for it as time goes on that will make you happy you have more space to play with. Especially with some of the games that have been coming out that take up more space.
    06-24-12 10:36 PM
    Was just going to post this. It's a really good deal.

I was thinking about it but for me, once the MicroSoft Surface hits the market it is game over. To have the same OS/UI on a phone, tablet and PC is just too strong for me to resist. Add the fact that many app will be the same or similar, I know what I will buy next.

I love BlackBerrys but this...
    Not sure about the Surface tab. It looks great and even though I hate Windows with a passion, I would be tempted by this. But it looks about as portable as an iPad so that's an automatic no-go for me.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    06-24-12 10:42 PM
    If you do fall for the super cheap Playbook be sure you are able to return it....as many do. Half the play books you see on sale are refurbs.

It has so many issues it really just becomes a mediocre web browser.

Of course on a playbook forum everyone will load you up with excuses and "side loads" and tell you BB10 is going to save the world....but you may (like many) ask yourself....why would I accept so much fail?

Have a quick exit plan, or just save the wasted time and buy a new iPad/Surface
    06-25-12 06:28 AM
    If you do fall for the super cheap Playbook be sure you are able to return it....as many do. Half the play books you see on sale are refurbs.

Of course on a playbook forum everyone will load you up with excuses and "side loads" and tell you BB10 is going to save the world....but you may (like many) ask yourself....why would I accept so much fail?

Thanks for sticking around the forums, after getting rid of your PB, to save us from ourselves.
    kbz1960, Marty_LK and Toodeurep like this.
    06-25-12 07:32 AM
    I tried the playbook for almost a year but the slow browser and serious lack of apps and a few other things made me opt for a iPad and tbh it actually shows how bad the playbook is. Yes the iPad don't have flash but really is that the only feature the pb should be brought on and all the other fails forgiven.
    06-25-12 07:45 AM
    I guess since Angry Birds is on the Playbook, "slow web browser" is the current catch phrase to slag the PB eh? These one sided ignorant arguments are so tiring and not true. If anything it shows how little they know about the Playbook, let alone how to actually use it.

The web browser has been very good since the OS2 update.

Of course on a crackberry forum certain people will load you up with excuses and tell you that the playbook is garbage and other mindless nonsense....but you may (like many) ask yourself....why would I accept so much BS from people who clearly are biased iTards?

Sideloading is so easy and there's plenty of threads that explain what to do step by step. If you're a seasoned android user it'll be childsplay. But, I get it. Philosophically, it's not how apple does it so of course it must be MENSA difficult.

Seriously though, I'd go for at least 32GB OP, 16GB is really not enough.
    Last edited by Houshinto; 06-25-12 at 10:12 AM.
    06-25-12 10:09 AM
    The Playbook has a great (best) tablet OS but it does have significant weaknesses which have been stated by others. RIM stock it now below $10 and falling. It is uncertain if RIM will remain a viable company. Many here will say otherwise but RIM will probably be taken over by another company in the next 6 months. There is value that will be attractive to other companies that the low price makes very interesting. Alot depends on what the new owner decides to do. I just hope BB10 makes it out the door first.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    06-25-12 01:24 PM
    Not sure about the Surface tab. It looks great and even though I hate Windows with a passion, I would be tempted by this. But it looks about as portable as an iPad so that's an automatic no-go for me.
    I tend to dislike Microsoft in general for their business practices. After all, what company would consider charging an XBOX user who is already paying a fee for the less-than-worthless Netflix a fee to use Netflix on the XBOX? MS does. No way to get Netflix installed on your XBOX without first subscribing to XBOX Live Gold. And that is a fee.

Their handling of Windows Phone has been disastrous and everything they said about it in the beginning has turned out to be false. They pretty much screwed early adopters and now they are screwing late adopters. That nice, new Lumia 900? Won't see WP8. Any current hardware will not see WP8.

MS's success with "Surface" is unlikely.
    06-25-12 01:42 PM
    Sadly this is what I now recommend after 6 months with a playbook . Believe me I thought the playbook was going to be the the tablet and business device to answer all my prayers and was going to be a steal at the $199 I paid for it . I waited patiently for the os upgrade , the android apps, the new and supposedly better world rim had promised . Well the dream has died , almost a frequently as my playbook runs out of battery charge. If you want good apps , good email, good messaging etc. get an Ipad .
    what you DON'T get with the playbook is BBM ( rims best message app), skype, netflicks , the majority of useful android apps , a decent browser , and a fast os. You get a device at least in my case that wont hold a battery charge for over an hour of use or on standby for a day . I loved my Blackberry(bold 9800) , still do , my playbook sits gathering dust or worst yet on the charger waiting to boot up. By contrast the ipad 2 I got about a year ago is never out of use by my self and my family.
    I believe the playbook will be orphaned and suffer the fate of many other "tablets" but the Ipad wont .
    06-25-12 01:58 PM
    I thoroughly have to disagree with the user above me.

I love my playbook. It smoothly runs Windows through Citrix, I can play a game or 2 which runs perfectly fine. (Anybody who wants to play games should buy xbox/ps3 or a pc). Apps? Yeah I don't need many. Just use a weather app and the other I use to be able to chat through google/facebook/msn all in 1 and that one also works smooth as a chocolate factory on butter.

I use it for business ends so just quickly skipping through powerpoint flicks works like a treat.

Other than that, I work in the financial industry and travel quite a bit. This thing is super handy and fits in my back pocket, i've had an iPad but that thing is heavy and big. Just useless to take it with me constantly. Also in regards of train/plain/car/bike travel.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-25-12 03:23 PM
    Thanks for sticking around the forums, after getting rid of your PB, to save us from ourselves.
    I love my Bold 9900...so I often browse the forum.

OP asked for opinions about getting a playbook. What don't you get about that? Upset people are pointing out reality?

You fanboys make fun of Apple users but really take it personal when someone points out what a pitiful device playbook is....how ironic.

Then again nobody should have paid more than about $150 for one now today (best buy can get rid of them for $139 now) and I bet most could get a good $75 for it after a few months on here or craigslist...so its not like its a huge risk.
    Last edited by G550Pilot; 06-25-12 at 03:34 PM.
    06-25-12 03:30 PM
    I tend to dislike Microsoft in general for their business practices. After all, what company would consider charging an XBOX user who is already paying a fee for the less-than-worthless Netflix a fee to use Netflix on the XBOX? MS does. No way to get Netflix installed on your XBOX without first subscribing to XBOX Live Gold. And that is a fee.

Their handling of Windows Phone has been disastrous and everything they said about it in the beginning has turned out to be false. They pretty much screwed early adopters and now they are screwing late adopters. That nice, new Lumia 900? Won't see WP8. Any current hardware will not see WP8.

MS's success with "Surface" is unlikely.
    Huh, didn't know all of that.
    06-25-12 03:49 PM
    I find my Playbook very usable, but it is highly possible I put up with more than others would in light of getting the playbook for free. I find it's perfectly adequate for browsing the internet from bed or while watching TV etc. (at other times, I'll just use my laptop, no tablet is a better experience for internet browsing than proper keyboard and mouse for me). I can easily watch the vast majority of online videos (e.g. YouTube, BBC iPlayer, 4OD [another UK TV station on demand site]), the notable exception being Netflix.

I have been able to find apps for most of the things I want (e.g. AirBrowser for file management, BlueBox for dropbox, SimpleBrowser+ for a better browsing experience) and sideloading Android apps is certainly very handy (the Good e-Reader app store is very handy, in conjunction with LocalBar2 and a proxy server running on my phone). The few apps I can think of I miss are Netflix, Spotify and maybe Skype, although I don't use it much so not that bothered about it. (I don't use Kindle, so don't care about that, and it can be sideloaded anyway).

The browser can sometimes crash a bit too much for my liking, and Android apps can be buggy. But all in all, I find the whole experience to be very usable.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-25-12 04:08 PM
    I'll have to dissent and say that I don't recommend getting a Playbook. I had it for about four months, and found that it just doesn't have the apps I need and want. Sideloading repackaged Android apps is ok if you take the time to learn how to load, then deal with frequent lag/freezing. I really liked the hdmi output, bridge, remote control stuff with my 9930. Has great speakers, fit and finish were great. Not having WebEx and Skype were too difficult to work around. Also, the fact there is still no portrait email is just ridiculous.

In the end, I've gone with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and it's filled every tablet need for me. We also have an iPad 2 in the house but that's not my daily driver. As the Galaxy is only $249.00 and has webex, skype, portrait email, google maps/navigation and Chrome, I couldn't resist.

As others have said, you really need to determine your own needs, as for some, the playbook may be just the right choice.
    06-25-12 04:25 PM
    Huh, didn't know all of that.
    About the Netflix on XBOX, neither did I until a week ago. I normally watch Netflix on my PC or on my tablet and decided I wanted to watch a particular movie on my HDTV, which I have my XBOX and Wii connected to. The Wii has both Netflix and Hulu+ already downloaded and installed, but it doesn't provide an HD output. So I go to find and install Netflix on my XBOX and it kept diverting me to an XBOX Live signup screen. I have a Live.com account online and punched in my Live.com info and it tells me its gamertag is associated with a different Live.com account and for me to put in a different Live.com account.

After much deliberating about what it was actually wanting me to do, I contact XBOX support and they tell me my current gamertag is an "offline" tag and that I needed an "online" account to access the XBOX market to get and install Netflix or anything else. They said it requires a fee-based subscription to XBOX Live.

Needless to say, my jaw dropped and I was taken aback quite a bit. I ended up just watching the movie on my Wii and being satisfied.
    06-25-12 04:26 PM
    Not right now, wait to see what comes with the newer hardware.
    06-26-12 12:20 AM
    The PlayBook is awesome! The 3G model will be out soon so hold off if you want cellular!
    06-26-12 01:38 AM
    About the Netflix on XBOX, neither did I until a week ago. I normally watch Netflix on my PC or on my tablet and decided I wanted to watch a particular movie on my HDTV, which I have my XBOX and Wii connected to. The Wii has both Netflix and Hulu+ already downloaded and installed, but it doesn't provide an HD output. So I go to find and install Netflix on my XBOX and it kept diverting me to an XBOX Live signup screen. I have a Live.com account online and punched in my Live.com info and it tells me its gamertag is associated with a different Live.com account and for me to put in a different Live.com account.

After much deliberating about what it was actually wanting me to do, I contact XBOX support and they tell me my current gamertag is an "offline" tag and that I needed an "online" account to access the XBOX market to get and install Netflix or anything else. They said it requires a fee-based subscription to XBOX Live.

Needless to say, my jaw dropped and I was taken aback quite a bit. I ended up just watching the movie on my Wii and being satisfied.
    I'd say it's time to pick up some component AV cables for yourr Wii so you can enjoy them in HD goodness. :P
    06-30-12 09:19 PM
    I guess since Angry Birds is on the Playbook, "slow web browser" is the current catch phrase to slag the PB eh? These one sided ignorant arguments are so tiring and not true. If anything it shows how little they know about the Playbook, let alone how to actually use it.

The web browser has been very good since the OS2 update.

Of course on a crackberry forum certain people will load you up with excuses and tell you that the playbook is garbage and other mindless nonsense....but you may (like many) ask yourself....why would I accept so much BS from people who clearly are biased iTards?

Sideloading is so easy and there's plenty of threads that explain what to do step by step. If you're a seasoned android user it'll be childsplay. But, I get it. Philosophically, it's not how apple does it so of course it must be MENSA difficult.

Seriously though, I'd go for at least 32GB OP, 16GB is really not enough.
    Bs biased advice hmmmmm I had the PB for almost a year gave it a chance and was dissappointed constantly with it, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone now where as the iPad does everything I wanted and is a outstanding device. So I would recommend an iPad to anyone. Before u jump on the defensive and slate ppl for suggesting anything other than the PB shows the bs biased views u have and either can't see or won't see what a utter balls up rim have made of the playbook
    07-01-12 01:13 PM

OP asked for opinions about getting a playbook. What don't you get about that? Upset people are pointing out reality?
    Where is the reality in that post? The first sentence is sound advice for any product, the rest is opinion and conjecture.
    07-01-12 05:09 PM
    well got my playbook for xmas and must say loving it. very fast nd smooth. i prefer it to the ipad as its more portable and multitasks better. and has flash lol. yes the apps arent there like the ipad but i have a xbox and ps3 for games etc lol...
    Sorry dude, but I am calling bull on your almost a year point. As well as taking issue with your "dissappointed constantly" remark.

It is okay for you to prefer another device, I happen to have come back to BB after Android and Apple and I prefer the 9810+PB. To each their own. What you should be doing is moving along.
    07-01-12 05:34 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD