Out of curiosity. With only a few short days until the Playbook is released has there been any advertisements on TV? Or do I just have horrible timing with changing the channel?
    04-16-11 02:10 AM
    agreed!

Maybe they are advertising on the oprah network or something, but not a peep on my fav's (tsn, sportsnet etc...)

APTN? who knows
    04-16-11 09:29 AM
    Did see it mentioned on our 6pm local news on Thursday. Not an ad but a couple mini reviews including one that mentioned Telus would be doing one on ones with playbook customers.
    04-16-11 05:17 PM
    Im on telus, and i wont be buying it from them, they dont need to know i own one.
    04-16-11 11:15 PM
    It's the eve of the eve of the release, OMFG OMFG
    04-17-11 01:43 PM
    i have a question. do all models (16, 32, 64 gb) will be available on the launch date?
    04-17-11 10:07 PM
    i have a question. do all models (16, 32, 64 gb) will be available on the launch date?
    They will be "avaliable" but most stores only sell in store 16GB models ( i think Best Buy is an exception. But ALL models will be avaliable online from most sellers RIM listed.
    04-17-11 10:48 PM
    I went into my local Best Buy yesterday and not realizing how late it was (they were closing in 15mins) I asked if they has a Playbook on display. The guy behind the desk told the girl there was one in the AT&T cabinet. She took it out and handed it to me. First the power button is a little too small. I'm sure it will be fixed in future releases.

This one wasn't setup yet for WiFi and when I clicked on the browser I received an error window that I couldn't close. The girl tried and couldn't either. She tried to hold the power button but couldn't so I tried and when you hold the power button for a few seconds you get the option to shutdown or restart.

It took a good 2 minutes for fully restart the unit.

This Best Buy doesn't plan on putting out on display until tomorrow. I'm going to try another one on the way home tonight when there is more time and see if I can get some hands on with it.
    04-18-11 06:20 AM
    I posted this over in the "I got my Playbook" thread but this one is far more active so I'll copy it here as well. Not to brag, but I got my Staples 32GB pre-order Playbook today and I'm up and running after two software updates.

So I've been playing with my Playbook (between actual work) and I agree with all the reviews that the biggest downfall is the lack of apps. There's a ton of apps in the App World but they largely suck. There's no major apps like Netflix, Kindle (which was announced but mysteriously is not there), native Facebook app, Twitter app, etc. It's a lot of apps people made from their basements to get a free Playbook. I'm not knocking it because some of them are cute but I'm looking for functionality. I'm not disappointed I got the Playbook (I'm ecstatic in fact) and I'm sure if the sales are good the apps will follow, it's just an observation.

The physical keyboard is an issue at times (it covers half the screen) and gets in the way. I end up clearing it and then moving the cursor sometimes to write in passwords. I'm not sure I have an answer but just an observation.

On the plus side, the screen is incredible, the speakers are nice with good audio, the camera is impressive and I've gotten no lag or memory leaks at this point. Also, the on/off button that everyone complained about is a non-factor. It's not raised but I've had no trouble turning the unit on and off. I'm guessing it was "fixed" between when the demos went out and when the final product was finished.

All in all, I love it so far. That's all for now.
    04-18-11 12:49 PM
    Just a heads up. My local Office Depot has the PB in all flavors in the store room to go on sale in the am. The manager showed me the pile and it looked like he had two of three of each unit. Less one 64gb which is mine!
    04-18-11 02:47 PM
    Just a heads up. My local Office Depot has the PB in all flavors in the store room to go on sale in the am. The manager showed me the pile and it looked like he had two of three of each unit. Less one 64gb which is mine!
    Should have snapped a pic. Haven't seen the 64GB box yet.
    04-18-11 03:34 PM
    Stopped by Best Buy this afternoon. Display up, model running, got to play. They had a drawer full of 16's only two 32's. Great machine, replace the ipad. A bit small but am excited to have a machine that will act in tandum with the Torch. Liked being able to type with just the thumbs while holding. Will make the "I'm all thumbs" statement justified ;-)
    04-18-11 10:18 PM
    oh yeah, camera is kickn also.
    04-18-11 10:20 PM
    Check out BlackBerry Bridge! Its live now. You can find it at http://bit.ly/i5m1WC or justy search for it in bb app world. You need to download this app on your Blackberry for it work with ur playbook!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kzeusr; 04-19-11 at 12:36 AM.
    04-19-11 12:30 AM
439 ... 161718
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD