20 32.26%
  • Poor

9 14.52%
    Lets try this again.
    07-18-11 08:50 AM
    pass?
    does what i need it to do.
    07-18-11 08:51 AM
    I'm sorry, but unless you say "Excellent" you should either take the unit back, or sell/trade it. Probably should have also researched the product a little more before purchasing it - or wait out the big update.

This is just my opinion.
    07-18-11 08:58 AM
    I'm sorry, but unless you say "Excellent" you should either take the unit back, or sell/trade it. Probably should have also researched the product a little more before purchasing it - or wait out the big update.

This is just my opinion.

It doesn't bother me that it's a mediocre device because I know it'll get better, couldn't actually get any worse right? In the mean time I have other tabs to use while this one develops. No research necessary in my case, I knew what it could do before I bought my 2nd one. I happen to think that the results of this poll will be dramatically different to the last poll, but I'm sure that will ultimately be attributed to trolls.
    07-18-11 09:02 AM
    Witholding my vote until more options are available. Need a choice between excellent and mediocre. "Good" would fit for me.
    07-18-11 09:07 AM
    research what? when pb was launched, when people do initial purchase, what are the search results on pb on the internet? we are early adopters; buying on hope and promises;
    its not that the buyers are dumb or not doing enough research etc before doing their purchase - maybe they and we are loyal to rim and willing to spend some money for first bb tablet - early adopters.
    rim fanboys always use this excuse...why don't you research more? well do you research before you buy? did it comes out as what you expected? did it work out to be a professional tablet? in 3 months time? if at all? when the reviews are coming after first month, sales definitely went down. even in this forum, there are lots of early adopters who sell their pb. can't take it anymore, wait wait wait.
    subsequent launch outside of america is muted ; not much fanfare; people are scared, and the reviews are scary. no one will buy pb just reading first page of this forum.
    we all do research in some way or another. whether the product is a flop and becoming outdated after 3 months, that is another issue. and people are not buying it. so they do research before they buy.

so my vote is poor. hardware is good, but software and more importantly, product marketing, public relation and consumer handling is bad. it may have been different is pb is marketed by apple.
    07-18-11 09:11 AM
    research what? when pb was launched, when people do initial purchase, what are the search results on pb on the internet? we are early adopters; buying on hope and promises;
    its not that the buyers are dumb or not doing enough research etc before doing their purchase - maybe they and we are loyal to rim and willing to spend some money for first bb tablet - early adopters.
    rim fanboys always use this excuse...why don't you research more? well do you research before you buy? did it comes out as what you expected? did it work out to be a professional tablet? in 3 months time? if at all? when the reviews are coming after first month, sales definitely went down. even in this forum, there are lots of early adopters who sell their pb. can't take it anymore, wait wait wait.
    subsequent launch outside of america is muted ; not much fanfare; people are scared, and the reviews are scary. no one will buy pb just reading first page of this forum.
    we all do research in some way or another. whether the product is a flop and becouming outdated after 3 months, that is another issue. and people are not buying it. so they do research before they buy.

so my vote is poor. hardware is good, but software and more importantly, product marketing, public relation and consumer handling is bad. it may have been different is pb is marketed by apple.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But all of the PlayBook's software 'flaws' were known in advance of its release, specifically lack of native email, PIM, etc. The bridge functions were admittedly shaky at first, but they have been sorted out (except for one carrier who now sees fit to charge its customers for it). Most of the big issues that people are still complaining about could have been identified before purchasing if they had done a little research. If native email calendar, contacts, etc. are that important to you, there was plenty of information available to you to make the decision not to buy it.

Personally, it's not excellent, but it's better than mediocre. So I'd give it a Good. If I could.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    thedark722 likes this.
    07-18-11 09:22 AM
    to see how perceptions change over time, you can see the sales graph, if any. initial purchase will be high, people excited and loyal bb owners will buy. early adopters follow.
    after a month of generally poor review, sales went down or going lower. sales outlets (best buy etc) make it worse. launch in several other countries but no excitement heard.
    after 60 days (of promised native email etc) the early adopters starts having doubts;
    after 90 days, even hardcore enthusiasts are having problem defending their stance ; people lost confidence. information is confusing - with recent possibilities of wifi pb never getting native email, or end up paying partial BIS service. rim start bundling new bb handsets + wifi playbook, thus confirming that wifi pb will not have native email on a standalone basis. it will be bridged, forever.
    after 130 days, radio/sim card equipped pb may be launched. wifi pb become obsolete, require bb handset, and early adopters selling wifi units in droves to buy a radio version.
    07-18-11 09:33 AM
    I know it'll get better, couldn't actually get any worse right?
    CAREFUL - 'fixes' have been known to make things worse!
    07-18-11 10:00 AM
    I only had it for days when I ran into a Post with my 16GB and lightly chipped the back, I could've sold it and looked into Apple, ASUS or HP but I didn't because I ended loving the OS and it's not like there are other 7" Tablets out there.

I sold my 16GB to my boy, lost about $50 and bought the 64GB.

*Having said that, if kijiji/craigslist didn't exist and had to pay retail I would have definitely bought Apple's iPad 2 instead. I don't think the PlayBook is worth what RIM is asking.

CAREFUL - 'fixes' have been known to make things worse!
    +1

I can't remember which BlackBerry (Bold 9000, 9700 or 9780) but it made things worst.
    07-18-11 10:48 AM
    Witholding my vote until more options are available. Need a choice between excellent and mediocre. "Good" would fit for me.
    Thats the opposite problem of the last poll, too few options. Consider mediocre to be "middle of the road, average, good" its all the same thing, there aren't levels of average.

This poll is shaping up exactly the way I thought it would, fewer "fails" and fewer "passes". As I thought people like the device but expect more from it and there is nothing wrong with that. Given time it'll be a great little tablet.
    Last edited by xandermac; 07-18-11 at 11:02 AM.
    07-18-11 10:59 AM
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But all of the PlayBook's software 'flaws' were known in advance of its release, specifically lack of native email, PIM, etc. The bridge functions were admittedly shaky at first, but they have been sorted out (except for one carrier who now sees fit to charge its customers for it). Most of the big issues that people are still complaining about could have been identified before purchasing if they had done a little research. If native email calendar, contacts, etc. are that important to you, there was plenty of information available to you to make the decision not to buy it.

Personally, it's not excellent, but it's better than mediocre. So I'd give it a Good. If I could.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I knew all of this when I purchased my PB on launch day (no native email, calendar etc...), however RIM had come out and said that these features would be added shortly, likely within 60 days. It has now been 90 days and they haven't said a word about when these features will be coming out.

My personal opinion is that they realized that the only way they make money on this device is for it to be paired with a Blackberry phone (which they charge carriers up to $5/month for). It doesn't strike me as a big motivation to add native email which will mean that it's a completely stand alone device that they won't see anymore money on after it's purchased.

If that was to be true, and they were waiting for the 4G/LTE version to include native email, then we should all feel cheated.

This tablet is mediocre right now due to lack of apps and software issues. There is a ton of potential, but none of it is realized right now.
    07-18-11 11:57 AM
    That is the most absurd statement I have read in a long time. You mean to say that unless someone considers the PlayBook an excellent device as is, they shouldn't have it? Is it really all lollipops and kitten kisses where you are, because here in the real world, people aren't required to be head over heels for their electronics in order to own them.

But all of the PlayBook's software 'flaws' were known in advance of its release, specifically lack of native email, PIM, etc.
    Most of the big issues that people are still complaining about could have been identified before purchasing if they had done a little research.
    So which is it... were all of the issues known at release, or where only most of the issues known at release? Can't be both ways. And on that note, are you saying that someone should have known, at release, that there is no way to sort bookmarks, no spellcheck, no autotext, and no way to delete pre-installed apps (among other issues)? What about those of us that pre-ordered? How should we have known about the issues?
    Last edited by ifarlow; 07-18-11 at 12:02 PM.
    07-18-11 11:57 AM
    Most of the big issues that people are still complaining about could have been identified before purchasing if they had done a little research.
    Are you implying that because these limitation were known before hand that the device is somehow above average considering their known omission? I personally disagree, even with native email/PIM i think the PB would still be a very average device. There is nothing about it that makes it stand out at the moment. It's just kinda there, in the middle of the pack looking pretty. I personally find it horribly laggy (compared to its competetion), the battery is a disappointment and the less said about application availability the better (but I knew this already). Native email/PIM wont fix those problems but OS development and 3rd party developer support can. For me, It's merely "Average" right now. I knew this up front and still bought it, just because I think it's average doesn't mean I don't like it as a whole, its not bad, thats about it right now.
    Last edited by xandermac; 07-18-11 at 12:08 PM.
    07-18-11 12:05 PM
    Thats the opposite problem of the last poll, too few options. Consider mediocre to be "middle of the road, average, good" its all the same thing, there aren't levels of average.
    me�di�o�cre
       [mee-dee-oh-ker]
    �adjective
    1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.
    2. rather poor or inferior.

#justsaying
    07-18-11 12:15 PM
    me�di�o�cre
       [mee-dee-oh-ker]
    –adjective
    1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.
    2. rather poor or inferior.

#justsaying
    I'm assuming there is a point to this?

1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad
    Isn't that average?

If you prefer barely adequate you're perfectly entitled.

#justsayingthatthepollresultspointtoaverage
    07-18-11 12:24 PM
    #hashtagsareabitdifficulttoread
    07-18-11 12:27 PM
    #heywatchyourlanguageyoungman

EDIT: Hey! You can't be deleting your posts. Now I'm left talking with myself. *sigh*
    Last edited by ifarlow; 07-18-11 at 12:31 PM.
    07-18-11 12:29 PM
    The point is, mediocre carries with it a negative feeling to most people, imo. I don't feel my PlayBook is barely adequate, rather poor or inferior, or neither good nor bad, but I can't call it excellent either.
    thedark722 likes this.
    07-18-11 12:33 PM
    #heywatchyourlanguageyoungman

EDIT: Hey! You can't be deleting your posts. Now I'm left talking with myself. *sigh*
    It got deleted.
    07-18-11 12:33 PM
    The point is, mediocre carries with it a negative feeling to most people, imo. I don't feel my PlayBook is barely adequate, rather poor or inferior, or neither good nor bad, but I can't call it excellent either.
    Ok, then you view mediocre differently to me but the definition is pretty clear that it's average, middle of the road, neither good nor bad.

If i was able to modify the poll to "average" I imagine that would be disputed somehow also, so mediocre is it. Obviously you don't have to vote but if you choose to, please understand that for the purpose of this poll, mediocre merely means average. (feel free to edit the poll).
    07-18-11 12:37 PM
    It got deleted.
    Ah. Got it.
    07-18-11 12:37 PM
    I agreee, for me there is some stuff is does better than any other tablet out there and then there is other stuff it just doesn't do at all, which averages out at a decent but room to improve good rather than excellent or mediocre.
    07-18-11 01:38 PM
    Ok, then you view mediocre differently to me but the definition is pretty clear that it's average, middle of the road, neither good nor bad.
    So where does good fit??
    07-18-11 01:51 PM
    So where does good fit??
    Its pretty simple.

1, 2, 3

good, better, best

poor, average, excellent

Seriously? Are we all that pedantic. Mediocre (for this poll) = Average, Good, Middle of the road, whateverthehellyouwantittomean.

Seriously, 3 choices and some people are stumped?!?!...

They could be Crap, alrightIguess, dogs bollocks for all I care, it's still three choices with the middle being average.
    Last edited by xandermac; 07-18-11 at 02:08 PM.
    07-18-11 01:56 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD