They say the iPad Mini is nothing more than a squished iPad 2. The Playbook has been out as long as the iPad 2 and based on it being a larger iPad Mini, bests it in hardware, features, convenience and portability just like the Playbooks bests the iPad Mini. Therefor the Playbook has been an iPad 2 killer since release and is now an iPad Mini killer - whether the market sees it that way and adopts it well enough to outsell the iPad Mini.
    Lol. 100,000 million iPad sold says it wasn't a killer, more like a victim.
    10-24-12 01:00 PM
    Who cares, wrong form factor according to Steve Jobs, and wasn't he God? Or at least that's what all the apple toting, media bias people would like us to believe.. Ohhh hail to Steve Jobs, the technical genius God!!! ipad mini, big deal or have they paid the press enough to call this the next apple innovation!?!?
    Apple Explained that. You see Steve Jobs was talking about 7" tablets, the iPad Mini is 7.9" & as the balding Apple guy with the shaved head said "Apple has determined that 7.9" is the Perfect size"

ipad mini
    Height:
    7.87 inches (200 mm)
    Width:
    5.3 inches (134.7 mm)
    Depth:
    0.28 inch (7.2 mm)
    Weight:
    0.68 pound (308 g)

screen size is 7.8inches

playbook
    Dimensions Height 194 mm (7.6 in)
    Width 130 mm (5.1 in) W
    Depth 9.7 mm (0.38 in) D
    Weight 425 grams (0.94 lb)

Screen size 7 inches

I must say while I love my playbook if they made the next playbook the same screen size as the Ipad mini I would be extremely happy. The bezel on the playbook doesnt need to be that big for the gestures to work (which is the best thing on the playbook). Just look at the dev alpha the bezel is not that big on it on the sides sooo....I think they can decrease the bezel size on the playbook but keep the playbook the same size!!! That would that create fragmentation though right?? I think so. What do you guys think
    I don't think with BB10 the next BB tablets will need the big bezels.....though they do give you something to hang onto, still smaller bezels would mean bigger screen without increasing the actuall size of the device.

BTW did anyone else notice that (according to the tables shown on imore) the wifi vs of the iPad Mini & iPad 4 do NOT have GPS?
    10-24-12 01:01 PM
    BTW did anyone else notice that (according to the tables shown on imore) the wifi vs of the iPad Mini & iPad 4 do NOT have GPS?
    Huge omission, IMO. Google Maps rocks on the PB, and a major reason is GPS support. I hear that the non 3G Surface tablets are similarly configured. Unthinkable!

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-24-12 01:09 PM
    f*** apple.
    Damn straight!
    kozmo68 likes this.
    10-24-12 01:11 PM
    Huge omission, IMO. Google Maps rocks on the PB, and a major reason is GPS support. I hear that the non 3G Surface tablets are similarly configured. Unthinkable!
    It's been like that since the beginning on iPad. Apparently not a show stopper.
    10-24-12 01:29 PM
    My bad. I always assumed iPad had GPS. Kind of surprised to hear it doesn't. Go figure.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    10-24-12 02:29 PM
    Believe you can get a plug in GPS for about $30 so it is not a total killer. With Apple's you can pay and pay and pay before you play.
    10-24-12 02:48 PM
    no GPS in iPad was indeed a showstopper for me. So was no Flash, no Bridge, no Mouse, no NFS streaming, and no Wifi sharing.

I gave the iPad to my mom
    #happierwithmyplaybook
    Marty_LK and rotorwrench like this.
    10-24-12 03:03 PM
    ipad mini
    Height:
    7.87 inches (200 mm)
    Width:
    5.3 inches (134.7 mm)
    Depth:
    0.28 inch (7.2 mm)
    Weight:
    0.68 pound (308 g)

screen size is 7.8inches

playbook
    Dimensions Height 194 mm (7.6 in)
    Width 130 mm (5.1 in) W
    Depth 9.7 mm (0.38 in) D
    Weight 425 grams (0.94 lb)

Screen size 7 inches

I must say while I love my playbook if they made the next playbook the same screen size as the Ipad mini I would be extremely happy. The bezel on the playbook doesnt need to be that big for the gestures to work (which is the best thing on the playbook). Just look at the dev alpha the bezel is not that big on it on the sides sooo....I think they can decrease the bezel size on the playbook but keep the playbook the same size!!! That would that create fragmentation though right?? I think so. What do you guys think
    All they really need to do is extend the display out to the edge and give it a dead-spot bezel. I believe a display can have a surrounding, non-touchscreen active display bezel and achieve the needed swipe functionality. There really is no reason for the bezel to be blacked out. Given, though, that an LCD needs room for edge connections, there would have to be enough of a surrounding bezel area to cover up the connecting area. But maybe 85% of the current blacked-out bezel area can be used as active display.

For specific button functionality like the battery icon and such up in the right uper corner can have dedicated capacitive functionality where the dead-spot bezel would be.
    10-24-12 03:30 PM
    I need only one reason: it's still an iPad, just smaller (or a larger iTouch, or larger iPhone without the phone or...??..I get confused).
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-24-12 03:56 PM
    Why the iPad Mini might kill our much-loved but frustrating PlayBook

The PlayBook by far has one of the best mobile OSes; QNX. It's multi-tasking capabilities, security architecture and the ability to handle Flash and being able to view it's file system are all known. Android is getting better and IOS, though locked-down offers the better user experience, security and AppStore. ( They're all UNIX-like derivatives)

The PlayBook has superb hardware; much better build quality than many competing Android 7 inch tablets. The biggest problem is RIM. AppWorld is, with the exception of a few gems, generally poor. There seems to be a dearth of good native apps for the QNX platform. Personally, I've hated the idea of "side-loading" apps form the Android platforms. Those which I have used work sub-optimally. After almost a year of PlayBook ownership there still isn't a decent app on the AppWorld to enable the use of a NAS drive. There are a few which can allow the users to view files on a NAS but not launch a file in an application. There are apps like LAN File Explorer which allows this to be done with a client program running on a PC or Mac. (It works brilliantly, but requires your PC or Mac to be on and accessible over WiFi. No good if you have a wireless hard drive (e.g. WiDrive) or simply wish to use your network accessible storage resource as a SAMBA share or CIFS.

I have mounted SAMBA shares on both Android and IOS devices to accomplish this and they do so flawlessly. In IOS 5/6 an App called File Browser is first class. It even shows album art of MP3/AAC files on a remote drive. The Safari browser easily allowed for "streaming" as opposed to "downloading" -which is what the native browser does by default without the choice of "playing". The use of the PlayBook browser for these operations performs miserably. It's this which has tested my patience with RIM and the pace of development with QNX. Perhaps developers see no future for the platform and so therefore will not commit time and resources to it.

I really like my PlayBook and want to continue using it. But now the iPad Mini is looking more appealing in that it will do all that I need to. If BB10 does not remedy the above failings, the great hardware and QNX OS will not be enough to save the PlayBook .

PlayBook 32GB, OS Version: 2.1.0.1032
    Last edited by berrydem; 10-24-12 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Misspelling
    10-24-12 05:00 PM
    The apple isn't a bad product but like the big pad it seems to be unable to do anything without an app. If the Playbook was such junk why is apple making a copy of it.
    And to agree with an earlier post F%@k Apple
    lexsteryo likes this.
    10-24-12 05:29 PM
    Why keep making these threads? - It makes BB users seem almost secretly jealous or something.
    you have answered your question

Like RIM CEO said, it is not spec, it is experience. why compare to Apple, how could PB compare to Apple. if you want to compare something,compare to HTC,much better
    10-24-12 07:13 PM
    Hey I don't have to when St. Steve does it for me:

�The reason we wouldn't make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit a price point. It's because we don't think you can make a great tablet with a 7-inch screen," Jobs said. "The 7-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad."

Oh right, it's 7.8"... Completely different
    I believe in apple circles they refer to it as innovation!
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-24-12 08:13 PM
    I need only one reason: it's still an iPad, just smaller (or a larger iTouch, or larger iPhone without the phone or...??..I get confused).
    100% agree!
    10-24-12 08:29 PM
    I say the iPad Mini looks an awful lot like a Galaxy Note - especially the white one. Samsung might be able to take it to Apple over style.
    10-24-12 08:47 PM
    After almost a year of PlayBook ownership there still isn't a decent app on the AppWorld to enable the use of a NAS drive. There are a few which can allow the users to view files on a NAS but not launch a file in an application.
    Really? You can't launch the associated apps from a file? How about ES File Explorer? Will this do the job?
    10-24-12 09:00 PM
    I have one reason not to be excited about the iPride mini.... it is made by apple..... I always dream of the day when a future old new old new new old iPad/iPhone will be put on fire sale for $49. hope it happens in my lifetime..

http://srimanapps.wordpress.com
    10-24-12 09:06 PM
    What's really funny in reading the reviews on the mini. Tthe reviewers are ecstatic the it will run Apple native apps, unlike iPad3. Whoopi! That's what I call innovation!. How bout that 4:3 aspect ratio? Should work great for movies
    10-24-12 09:10 PM
    Bridge to an archaic OS7 BB is grossly overrated as an advantage on this forum.
    richardat likes this.
    10-24-12 09:34 PM
    no GPS in iPad was indeed a showstopper for me. So was no Flash, no Bridge, no Mouse, no NFS streaming, and no Wifi sharing.

I gave the iPad to my mom
    #happierwithmyplaybook
    Wasn't referring to your individual picture, but the overall picture of devices sold. The overall picture would seem people would prefer a wifi only iPad with no GPS vs Playbook with GPS.
    10-25-12 05:26 AM
    The apple isn't a bad product but like the big pad it seems to be unable to do anything without an app. If the Playbook was such junk why is apple making a copy of it.
    And to agree with an earlier post F%@k Apple
    Lets flip the question. If the Playbook is so great without apps why is its adoption by Fortune 500 companies nil? Most of this companies are Blackberry shops.
    10-25-12 05:33 AM
    What's really funny in reading the reviews on the mini. Tthe reviewers are ecstatic the it will run Apple native apps, unlike iPad3. Whoopi! That's what I call innovation!. How bout that 4:3 aspect ratio? Should work great for movies
    That doesn't make sense. No native apps would mean when you first turn on a brand new iPad the screen would be blank. No calendar, address book, map, etc.
    10-25-12 05:41 AM
    The OP must be desperate to justify his old and arcane Playbook by making this thread.
    10-25-12 06:04 AM
    "The OP must be desperate to justify his old and arcane Playbook by making this thread"

That or he was he was just interested in hearing what others thought on the topic... You must be pretty desperate if you feel that you have to defend an Ipad mini on a Blackberry fan site.

Sent from my BOLD or maybe my soon to be BB10 PlayBook
    Last edited by Bobert_123; 10-27-12 at 02:03 PM.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    10-25-12 08:10 AM
153 ... 23456 ...